// Duke University scientists find women need more sleep than men
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duke University scientists find women need more sleep than men  (Read 224 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 19, 2013 07:12 AM »

I knew it!! I shall now take a nap Wink

==========================

Duke University scientists find women need more sleep than men

IF THE woman in your life woke up grumpy this morning, don't be too hard on her. It is, apparently, only natural.

Scientists at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina have discovered that women need more sleep than men. And chances are, she’s not getting enough.

In fact the best thing a loving husband or partner can do is perhaps persuade her to get a few extra hours snuggling under the duvet. Or face the consequences.

More relationship stories

Scientists say women suffer more than men, both mentally and physically, if they are forced to skimp on their sleep.

As well as a higher risk of heart disease, depression and psychological problems, sleep-deprived women have extra clotting factors in their blood, which can lead to a stroke.

They also have higher inflammation markers, which indicate developing health problems.

As inflammation markers are also linked to pain, sleep expert Dr Michael Breus explained that women can literally be in more pain when they wake up.

That's enough to make any girl feel rather grumpy.

By contrast, the state of a man's health does not appear to be closely linked to how much they sleep.

In the study, men showed no increased risk of developing the ailments that affect women when they are sleep deprived.

"We found that women had more depression, women had more anger, and women had more hostility early in the morning," said Dr Breus.

If this sounds like someone you know, it can probably be blamed on sleep deprivation and the fact that women are particularly susceptible to the effects. What does Dr Breus advise?

If you don’t manage to get enough sleep at night, try taking strategic naps.

However, he warned that those naps should be either 25 minutes or 90 minutes long. Any other length will make the snoozer feel worse when they wake, he said.

This is not the first time experts have suggested that women need more sleep than men.

One of Britain’s leading authorities on sleep found that women actually need 20 minutes more shut-eye. This is because of the female multi-tasking brain.

"One of the major functions of sleep is to allow the brain to recover and repair itself," said Professor Jim Horne, director of the Sleep Research Centre at Loughborough University, England.

"During deep sleep, the cortex - the part of the brain responsible for thought, memory, language and so on - disengages from the senses and goes into recovery mode.

"The more of your brain you use during the day, the more of it that needs to recover and, consequently, the more sleep you need.

"Women tend to multi-task - they do lots at once and are flexible - and so they use more of their actual brain than men do. Because of that, their sleep need is greater.

"A man who has a complex job that involves a lot of decision-making and lateral thinking may also need more sleep than the average male - though probably still not as much as a woman."
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2013 03:30 PM »

Another excuse for the wives huh..hmmm Undecided
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2013 06:40 PM »

However, he warned that those naps should be either 25 minutes or 90 minutes long. Any other length will make the snoozer feel worse when they wake, he said.

Did he want to say "...between 25 minutes and 90..."? So I should not take 60 minutes nap huh? These scientists' findings are often ridiculous Shocked

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2013 08:14 PM »

Nope, he was right.

My understanding is to either take a 20 min nap or a 2 hr nap.  If you wake up between that time, you disrupt your sleep cycle...
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2013 08:29 PM »

Huh that's strange. May be it's because I have never paid attention to it. I'm fond of afternoon nap so I will try to observe it as well. If 25 minutes can do then I will start saving time for other things.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2013 03:04 PM »

I always take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. If I went to work then I didn't sleep I know I won't function in the evening. I think it depends on a person. On the other hand I have a friend who can't sleep in the afternoon no matter what. In Ramadhan she goes to the masjid for laylatul-qadri but still she couldn't sleep even for 10 minutes.
Am sure its just the person. Don't tell me there are no men who also need naps out there.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2013 04:21 PM »

My father can not do without his afternoon nap..he tends to get a little cranky like a little baby if he does not have that nap of the day lol

Wasn't it a sunnah of our Prophet (p.b.u.h) to take an afternoon nap termed 'quilulah' too?
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2013 09:49 AM »

My father can not do without his afternoon nap..he tends to get a little cranky like a little baby if he does not have that nap of the day lol
Hehehe...on the contrary, my dad refuses to even lie down during the day.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2013 01:48 PM »

Here's another article on sleep patterns that's very interesting: http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

I think what they're talking about is very Islamic... like you go to sleep early, wake up a few hours for tahajjud/fajr and then go to sleep. But who has the time to go to bed at 8pm!!

I used to do something like that when I was working full time. Come home at 6 or 7, eat, pass out, then would wake up at 2am, pray Isha, do internet, pray Fajr then sleep, work again the next day blech!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: