// A Conversion
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: O God, I can't live in this world / Without remembering You - / How can I endure the next world / Without seeing Your face? - Rabi'a al-Adawiyya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Conversion  (Read 219 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« on: Sep 25, 2013 08:15 PM »

Assalamu alaikum everyone,

So, as I was coming to my room from my classes, one of the new girls at my boarding school stopped me to tell me that she had decided to become a Muslim, after researching Islam at home and talking to some Turkish students here! Needless to say I am absolutely flabbergasted!!! Subhanallah, here of all places! We have a nice Muslim family on campus who open their doors to all of us - but I have no idea what to do next! I certainly don't want to leave her on her own, but I don't know how to proceed, I've known very few converts in my life and being in a Muslim country meant I didn't see all the dawah work that happens more typically here in the states.

Is there any basic information I should give her right away? What can I say or do to help?

Edit: I should mention that she's young, 17 or so.
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2013 02:20 AM »

peace be upon you

Mabruk! That's great news, masha Allah. May Allah help her on her journey. What you can do to help is to make yourself available if she just wants to talk, wants advice, or has questions. Also maybe check up on her every now and then to see how she is doing. (Or find someone who will be able to do that.)

The advice I usually give to someone who converts is to move gradually, work on the priorities (salah, tawhid, strengthen your faith, etc) and take things only at a pace that they can handle. She may not have this problem where you are, but a lot of times when someone converts, other Muslims bombard them halal/ haram or just random, unnecessary things. (For example, some well-meaning people will even insist that they should change their name to _____ ). So they should be prepared for that and not feel overwhelmed, but to build gradually. And never stop asking Allah to guide them and help them along.

The other advice I generally give is that they will be tested. Just about everyone that I have seen convert to Islam has endured a very heavy trial soon after becoming a Muslim, whether it is dealing with family, or an illness, or work, etc. So I tell them to be prepared for it, and when it happens to put their full faith in Allah, and He will help them through the other side. It is just a test. Allah tests the believers, but if they hold firmly to their faith and exhibit beautiful patience, they will insha Allah be put in a better situation than they were before.

Hope this helps!
 thobesis
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2013 08:07 PM »

Does anyone know where I can find good places to give this girl basic information? I'm pretty sure that she knows about the five pillars, but I want to give her the everyday practices and beliefs - how and when to make wudu, salat, ghusl, istinja, eating ettiquettes, a good translation of the Quran, an explanation of Ramadan (how and when to fast), of zakat and hajj, maybe a nice book of seerah...

Please, any recommendations?
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2013 03:49 AM »

salam

sr Nature, may Allah reward you for helping this sister.  I really like the advice of sr Tahira.
Make yourself available to this sister and try to make her experience as positive as possible.

There is an upcoming Revival the Islamic Conference in Toronto on Dec 27th-29.  If you can come and take her with you, that would be great.  Or just suggest that she comes to RIS. 

Here is the conference link:  http://www.revivingtheislamicspirit.com/convention/index.php
and  FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/risevents
twitter:  @risconvention

For basic info,  trusted websites /links

http://jannah.org/islam101/

Online translation of Quran

http://jannah.org/quran/

Other resources:
http://jannah.org/resources/

If I may, I also think it would be wise to proceed slowly and not to send her too many links / resources at once.  Send a couple and check on her every week or 2 weeks. 

take care
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2013 06:12 AM »

This might help newmuslimacademy.org, it has courses specifically tailored for new muslims.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: