// World Dishonest Cities: Reader's digest experiment
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: you want to know where ALLAH is?....you dont even know where you are - Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Dishonest Cities: Reader's digest experiment  (Read 163 times)
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« on: Sep 27, 2013 07:19 PM »

I dont know if this is enough yardstick to judge honesty of various cities, but Helsinki-Finland emerged as the most honest city followed by Mumbai in a an experiment carried out by Reader's digest magazine! Our sisters in London may have to explain to us why more than half of wallets dropped in the city were not returned back. I wonder if any would had been returned if the  the experiment was conducted in Nairobi, Dares-salaam or Lagos for that matter  Shocked

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/24/travel/least-honest-cities/index.html

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2013 07:52 PM »

No idea why, presumably London is more metropolitan, have more immigrants/visitors/people in general.

Makes the place less personal, you have no affiliation with the person walking down the street and it is very survival of the fittest here.

Many people don't care and finding a police officer/station to hand a wallet in to is tiresome.

I'd hand in a wallet found in shop to the shopkeeper, I'd not touch anything lying in the street, there is a chance people think its a bomb or something!

We also have lots of pickpockets/thieves in Central London, so if you drop something there you have very small chance of ever seeing it again.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2013 07:47 PM »

Yeah I'm surprised that even half of that was returned in London! People usually go out of their way to try to steal/con your money here!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2013 09:42 PM »

Aww its not that bad.

The thieves and pickpockets who operate here are professionals.

You do get acts of amazing kindness here, read the metro good deed feed sometime (and I've had personal first hand experience of people being extrodinarily kind for no reason to me alhumdulillah), people hand in laptops and mobile phones a lot.

Having said that, the fact the UK especially London is so mixed  ie full of people here for a short time etc it can be very impersonal and people do feel very 'its nothing to do with me' but I think thats the british way to mind your own business.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2013 09:07 AM »

Salam

There is a show called khawatir that airs on mbc during ramadan that did a similar  experiment which they video taped.Tokyo scored very high on the scale of honesty.  A muslim middle eastern city was last on that list.

Toronto and surrounding cities are very cosmopolitan. I would be interested to know the results of a similar experiment here.  But from experience, my wallet was mailed back to me after I lost it.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2013 12:17 PM »

Mumbai came second?! Since when did Indians become so honest?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: