Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 24, 2014 03:48 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yoga?  (Read 268 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« on: Oct 06, 2013 12:57 PM »

Salaam..

Have a question... a weird/silly one. I have a ton of back issues, and my doctor recommended that I take up yoga to gain some flexibility and strength. Anyway, I did one session, and it was great! Except at the end, the teacher said a little prayer with her hands in the hindu prayer stance, and then she said "namaste" to all of us individually, and I was the only one that didn't reply... i just awkwardly said "thank you"...

Anyway, when I told hubby dearest, he told me I should rethink taking the classes. Not sure if its a "man" thing (I don't think he's used to me doing anything which doesn't involve him or the kids in some way), or if he really meant it when he said that he thinks I should stay away from anything so hindu in its origins.

So... thoughts? It really helped out my back, btw. I feel like I got the best/cheapest massage in town!

Wasalaam.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2013 01:09 PM »

Yoga is based on Hindu concept, I don't know much about it really as I avoid it because of that.

Try pilates, the moves are similar without the religious element.

Also the Alexander tehcnique it's very good for posture and back troubles.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2013 02:40 PM »

I do yoga at  home.  I have a lot of yoga tapes (yes, I still use my VCR!) and at the end the guy says "Namaste".  The meaning is :  The spirit within me salutes the spirit within you.
I don't know if that's unIslamic per se.   For me, I just accept it as kind of a greeting.  I don't freak out about it.  (Of course, I don't respond to the video tape...)
You could ask a scholar if it would make you feel any better, but I betcha anything they are just gonna be automatically, "Haram, Haram, Haram..."  I've even heard them freak out about meditating, "No, no, you mustn't, you mustn't!  Haram!  Haram!  Don't even focus!"  What?  Huh?
I would just consider my intention.  Personally, I am just doing this for my physical benefit, not to practice another religion.  (Oooo... I bet folks are gonna jump on me for that one...)
If it really bothers you, there are probably other places that practice yoga without any of the religious trappings.  In my small nowhere town, the local hospital offers some yoga classes that are totally 'Americanized'. 
Shop around.
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2013 04:01 PM »

Why not try "stretching" classes or "stretching" exercise DVDs? Same yoga postures without the meditative or religious aspects.
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2013 06:06 PM »

The extra thing with this class is that it's held in my neighbor's backyard, and that I can take my baby on the weekday class, so there's no commute and I don't need to look for a sitter.

Of course, you guys are all correct, I could technically find an alternative - it would just be less convenient for me, which probably would mean that I wouldn't actually take a class (and dvds, I have a whole collection with a layer of dust on it).

Ahhhh... okay, I have one week to make the decision, before committing to 10 lessons.

JazakAllah Khair
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2013 08:40 PM »

Just remain silent at the end when they do the prayer then.

If you've no other option and its helping your back, I'd carry on with it.

Yoga is a hindu form, it's name is sanskrit for a start, it's meant to be a physical and spiritual ritual.

Having said that, the yoga practiced in the west is far from an act of worship and the teachers are more like right on hippies.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2013 06:02 PM »

Sis, yoga is great for back problems, and if it is helping you and is so convenient, then just keep at it inshaAllah. Think Fozias idea about keeping quiet at the end is good, and also obviously dont chant any ohms:-) yoga today, esp in the west, does not necessarily have any religious connection, its just exercise, stretching and strengthening...

However, i also understand your husbands point, better to stay away from the doubtful things. Until you find something better, dont kill yourself overanalysing.agree that pilates is great, and no hindu connotations. Allahu alam, He knows our intentions...

May Allah grant you shifa
Salam
S.
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2013 03:58 PM »

Assalaamu Alaikum,

So I went again today.. and I just wanted to update that I think I will continue the classes because they really are helping. I kept quiet at the end, and also made a mental note not to feel awkward at not replying to the instructor's namaste... I think that helped a bit.

Thanks for all of your sound advice Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: