Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Qurbaani/Udhiyyah?  (Read 143 times)
Shahida
Sis

Reps: 477

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« on: Oct 08, 2013 11:15 AM »

Salam alaikum

hope everyone is doing well during these blessed days...dont forget me, the madina family and the Ummah in your duas pls.

Where is everyone doing Udhiyyah this year?  Do you send money overseas, or do you slaughter in your own backyard?  Do you have family traditions related to the sacrifice?  My mom said the lambs have arrived for the neighbourhood slaughter (they are housed on a piece of land near the masjid)...

Will miss it this year. Heard weird stories of people performing the qurbaani in the bathtub!! It is prohibited to slaughter animals in the prescribed manner in several European countries, may Allah make things easier for the Muslims.

Things are so much less complicated in Africa, sighhhh

Wasalam
S.

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2013 12:42 PM »

My parents always send the money to India and my uncles buy goats there no our behalf, keep them for a while then do the Qurbani.

I don't like it as they use it as a way to show off their own wealth (despite not actually paying a penny for the goats themselves).

I pay online Inshallah.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Shahida
Sis

Reps: 477

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2013 07:56 PM »

Yes, seems a lot of people do the online qurbani. It is good for those of us who have no access to livestock, or someone to do the actual slaughtering for us...

But also means we have to be more imaginitive when it comes to teaching kids about qurbaani...only in certain places is it still common for fathers to take sons (and the women as well) to the farm and let everyone experience it firsthand.  I think that although gruesome to some, the lessons in qurbaani are many, and can be a beautiful way to teach people about the mercy of Allah and the beauty of this deen.  How many of you still go to the farm? Think it is a practice being phased out, esp in the west.

In many places, eid al adha is the only time people get to eat meat!!! SubhanAllah. Real food for thought, no pun intended.

May Allah swt accept our sacrifices, help us increase our taqwa, and bless us for every strand of hair and every drop of blood.

Wslm
S.

Nature
Sis

Reps: 795

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2013 12:06 AM »

Interesting! In Sudan we would buy our sheep for the family a few days before, when it's not too expensive, keep it in the garden, and have it slaughtered in front of the house/on the street on Eid day. The hired butcher would do the work - he would slaughter it, skin it, remove the intestines, chop up the major hunks of meat, etc. I never watched, but I helped my mother to clean up the meat afterwards.

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2013 03:59 PM »

Interesting! In Sudan we would buy our sheep for the family a few days before, when it's not too expensive, keep it in the garden, and have it slaughtered in front of the house/on the street on Eid day. The hired butcher would do the work - he would slaughter it, skin it, remove the intestines, chop up the major hunks of meat, etc.
Same, except that we buy the day before and keep them in the garage.

Has anyone watched Food Inc? It's a documentary on the industrialized food system. There was a farmer in it who does everything the old fashioned way, open to sky. So, somebody(govt agency/some company, don't remember) sued him for that and then they tested the meat from his farm and the meat that comes from the plant. The plant meat was far more contaminated than that which came from his farm.

In the West I think they just overcomplicate things, everything. I was watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution today and they showed that school lunches in America have flavoured milk instead of the regular even though it contains more sugar than soda because the govt agency responsible thinks that getting calcium into kids is important, even if it causes them to get diabetes.

The complete absence of common sense simply baffles me.

tq
Sis

Reps: 189

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2013 05:21 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

Where is everyone doing Udhiyyah this year?   
In the backyard or maybe tub Smiley Smiley  - no just kidding.

We always go the Qurbani ourself, have been doing so since my boys were toddlers. My husband used to hold their hand when they were younger. My second one didnt like the smell of goats so he started late . When we were in Philadelphia , we couldnt find the proper farm , so my husband got asked local halal meat shop and we all went to for qurbani to thier slaughter house. But since last eight years (in Ga), we always make it a picnic day and most of the families go to the farm with food etc. The only drawback is that meat is does not come in nice clean properly cut bags, we have to sort it out ourselves Smiley
Wasalam
Tamseel

Nature
Sis

Reps: 795

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2013 05:55 PM »

Has anyone watched Food Inc? It's a documentary on the industrialized food system. There was a farmer in it who does everything the old fashioned way, open to sky. So, somebody(govt agency/some company, don't remember) sued him for that and then they tested the meat from his farm and the meat that comes from the plant. The plant meat was far more contaminated than that which came from his farm.

In the West I think they just overcomplicate things, everything. I was watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution today and they showed that school lunches in America have flavoured milk instead of the regular even though it contains more sugar than soda because the govt agency responsible thinks that getting calcium into kids is important, even if it causes them to get diabetes.

The complete absence of common sense simply baffles me.

It's insane! I watched Food Inc. and a bunch of other documentaries with my geography class, and the discussions that arose were so interesting. Of course it arises out of mass consumption and the 'need for economic efficiency' - you try to commercialize food, and this is what happens. It's starting in developing countries as well now, even with the 'halal industry'. It's one of the reasons that I decided that I preferred zabiha, and that I don't mind being vegetarian at school - it makes loads of sense to be vegetarian once you see what goes into your demand for meat being met!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: