Welcome Guest, please login or register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU conference London Nov 2013  (Read 591 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 09, 2013 11:46 AM »

This looks like the equivalent of ISNA over here. Anyone going?

http://www.theglobalunity.com
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2013 11:59 AM »

it happens every two years I think.

Its organised by the Islam channel.

Me and girlies will prolly end up there inshallah

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2013 01:40 PM »

OMG, look at the speakers, it would sooo be worth it to go!!! And never mind, my favourite nasheed group of all time Farqal al i3tisaam will be there too...

hope you guys have a fab time inshaAllah, maybe I will get to join you next time. 

wslm
S.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2013 02:22 PM »

There's a big fashion show as well, costs more $$ though (don't have pound symbol on this computer!!) if anyone wants to go to one though I'm willing!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/187729568075980/?source=1
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2013 07:26 PM »

Who went?!!! What did you all think? I'm trying to write a review of it, but it's just taking awhile...might add some pics too!
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2013 04:10 AM »

I didn't go, obviously. But saw this on the page.
Global Peace & Unity ~ Shaykh Dr. Yasir Qadhi | 24th November 2013 #GPU 2013
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2013 11:32 AM »

That was a super great speech by yasir qadhi!! Totally went over there throughout the day but could never catch a good speaker Sad MashaAllah great message for British Muslims.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2013 12:05 PM »

The criticism begins. I got this in the email today  Cheesy

BOYCOTT GPU 2013 - EVENT FULL OF SHAYTAN
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2013 12:31 PM »

It's been on for a long time! A niqabi girl was trolling the lines at GPU handing out Warning! Warning! Haram Event! flyers. I tried to talk to her but she wasn't listening. I was going to address their "points" in the review I wrote. In the meantime, here's what Yasir Qadhi sent out on his FB:

I find a lot of practicing Muslims are highly critical of the largest Islamic conventions in Western lands.

While it is true that some, or perhaps even much, of the criticism might be valid, I personally find all to often that such criticism ignores many realities, and at times borders on arrogance (viz., 'I am better than you').

These conventions, for better or for worse, reflect the reality of the Ummah. What takes place there, and the speakers that are invited, are representative of what takes place in the broader Ummah, and the speakers that are popular in the Ummah. To criticize these conventions, therefore, is to criticize the state of the Ummah (and again, there is much truth in that criticism). It makes little sense, then, to release such anger and vitriol against only a convention when it is in fact representative of the entire Muslim world.

There is also no doubt (and I speak from first-hand experience, having been invited to all of the major conventions in the Western world) that there is MUCH good that takes place at such conventions. People are inspired; many non-practicing Muslims feel an iman boost, and many non-Muslims see a beautiful picture of Islam that they would not otherwise see. Even practicing/conservative Muslims who attend with the right intention, and judiciously choose where to go, and who to listen to, and who to hang around, benefit much.

If a person feels that such conventions are not beneficial for him, then he have every right not to go, and do something better with his time instead. But to generalize and issue a blanket 'fatwa' against an entire convention and the tens of thousands of people who attend is simply narrow-mindedness, and such a person should carefully look at his own heart to ensure that there is no arrogance in it.

Bottom line: a Muslim should try to look at the good in everything, and make as many excuses for any evil as he can. Legitimate naseeha is indeed a part of our faith, but one should see what is worthy of criticism, and the context of this alleged 'evil'. All of these factors play a role in deciding who criticizes, at what time and place, in front of which audience, and in what language. And indeed, "...whoever believes in Allah and the last Day, let him say that which is good, or else be silent."
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2013 01:15 PM »

Anyone who fears they'll lose control in a mixed setting should serisouly stay away.

I feel the GPU especially (as it's so big) is a positive reflection no Islam, I went to the previous one and it was so well organised mashallah, so cheerful and everyone working so hard ot ensure it went well.

It's Dawah.

I've always found that those who criticise and foam at the mouth about these things are really the ones who need to lower their gaze and fear Allah.

The world is made up of men and women. It's about time people stopped thinking themselves incapable of functioning in society for the very existence of the opposite sex. It's ridiculous and unliveable.

I've not watched the clips as my media player at work needs to be updated (can't be bovvered to ask IT)

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2013 03:44 PM »

It's been on for a long time! A niqabi girl was trolling the lines at GPU handing out Warning! Warning! Haram Event! flyers. I tried to talk to her but she wasn't listening.
Why was she there if it was a haram event? Cheesy

It sounds funny to me though, looks like muslims retain the habit wherever they go. Sometimes I watch the Ahlulhadith-Barelwi-Tablighi mudslinging matches just for fun Tongue
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2013 06:16 PM »

Seriously they saying there's dancing and singing at the GPU??

Was there?

I bet this is HT propoganda.

The last GPU wasn't anything they are describing,

Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2013 07:51 PM »

What makes me really annoyed about that 'criticism' (other than general ridiculousness) is the hauling out of "We're not meant to take non-Muslims as friends". This is one case where, as someone who's spoken Arabic all her life, I utterly blame the mistranslation of the verses of the Quran into English.

Here's a wonderful explanation: http://alghazzali.org/resources/articles/friendship.pdf
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2013 12:29 AM »

Here's my review: http://jannah.org/blog/review-of-london-gpu-islam-conference-2013/

Yeah I know it's so long and boring!! I have to get my pics together to make it more interesting iA.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2013 06:59 PM »

salam

It is not boring at all.  I really enjoyed reading it.

jazakum Allah khair for writing it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: