// Jewish Religious Court Corruption
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: My son, when you pray, do it like a person who is bidding farewell to this world, and don�t assume you will have another chance to pray again. My son, know that a believer dies in between two deeds, one he offers for today, where he will get immediate blessings, and the second deed is what he offers towards the day of resurrection, and that is where he will gain the ultimate benefits - Muadh Ibn Jabal (radiAllahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jewish Religious Court Corruption  (Read 312 times)
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« on: Oct 12, 2013 12:45 AM »

For $60K, the court can arrange to "persuade" the husband to give his wife a "get" (consent to divorce) with the aid of kidnapping, torture and terror.  (A simliar situation was portrayed in an episode of the Sopranos.) This is just crazy.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/2_rabbis_4_others_charged_in_divorce_shakedown.html

2 rabbis, 2 others charged in Jewish divorce shakedown

US Attorney and FBI speak about Jewish divorce shakedown case US Attorney Paul Fishman and Special Agent in Charge Aaron Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger By Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger
on October 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM, updated October 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

TRENTON — In a bizarre case involving threats of kidnapping, beatings and physical torture — including the use of an electric cattle prod— two rabbis were charged in New Jersey on Wednesday in a scheme to force men to grant their wives religious divorces.

Two others were also charged in the case, which grew out of an undercover sting operation involving a female FBI agent who posed as a member of the Orthodox community seeking a divorce.

As many as six others may also be charged, officials said.

Sources say the investigation was sparked by a similar case in 2011, when David Wax, a 49-year-old rabbi and Talmudic scholar from Lakewood, and his wife, Judy, were charged with kidnapping and severely beating an Israeli man who had refused to give his wife a divorce. That case has been repeatedly adjourned for months—a sign of possible cooperation.

According to the FBI, most of those being charged today were arrested last night after a meeting at an undisclosed warehouse in Middlesex County, as the group gathered to launch the kidnapping plan. The rabbis were arrested at their homes. Many of the still unnamed defendants had been recruited as the muscle of the operation, sources said.

Initially charged were Rabbis Mendel Epstein, 68, and Martin Wolmark, 55, Ariel Potash, 40, and a fourth individual only identified as “Yaakov.” All four are due to appear in U.S. District Court in Trenton later today.

According to a criminal complaint unsealed this morning, the four are accused of charging families thousands of dollars to get recalcitrant husbands to agree to divorces, frequently through means of violence.

Under Jewish law, a woman may not sue for divorce in a rabbinical court unless her husband agrees to provide his wife with a document known as a “get.”

While a divorce may only be initiated by the husband, a wife has the right to sue for divorce in rabbinical court, known as a “beth din,” which may order the husband to issue the get. If he refuses, he may be subjected to various penalties to pressure him to consenting to the divorce. Without a "get," a woman can end up in limbo for years, unable to remarry.

According to the complaint, the four men— for a price— were willing to provide “convincing” by any means possible.

In one recorded meeting, Epstein spoke about kidnapping, beating and torturing husbands to in order to force a divorce, according to the complaint.

“Ya know, this is an expensive thing to do,” he said on a surveillance recording. “It’s not simply…basically what we are going to be doing is kidnapping a guy for a couple of hours and beating him up and torturing him and then getting him to give the get.”

One of his tools of persuasion, he said, was an electric cattle prod.

“If it can get a bull that weights five tons to move…You put it in certain parts of his body and in one minute the guy will know,” Epstein said, in one of the conversations with the undercover agent.

Epstein is a well-known in the Orthodox community as a divorce mediator. One tape, though, he admitted to committing similar kidnappings at least once a year.

“Basically the reaction of the police is, if the guy does not have a mark on him…then, uh, is there some Jewish crazy affair here, and they don’t get involved,” he said, according to the complaint.

The cost was not cheap. The complaint said $10,000 went to pay for the rabbis on the rabbinical court, to approve the kidnapping. They charged an additional $50,000 to $60,000 to pay for the “tough guys” who would do the rough stuff.

According to the court filing, Wolmark and Epstein were first contacted by the undercover agent in August, and met with her and another undercover agent who posed as her brother, at Epstein’s home in Ocean County. Records show Epstein has homes in Lakewood and Brooklyn.

She told them she was desperate for a divorce because her purported husband refused to have children.

Walmark, according to the complaint, connected her with Epstein.

“You need to get him to New York where someone either can harass him or nail him. Plain and simple,” he said on a recorded phone call with the agent.

Potash’s role in the plan, according to the complaint, was to act as the “shliah,” the person appointed to serve as the wive’s agent to accept the “get.”

Last month, several of those charged drove to the warehouse in Middlesex County to determine if it was suitable for the kidnapping. In a graphic conversation, Epstein talked about the use not only of cattle prods, but handcuffs and other measures to be taken by hired enforcers after a reluctant husband was forced into a van and physically worked over.

“I guarantee you that if you’re in the van, you’d give a ‘get” to your wife,” he told the undercover agent posing as the woman’s brother.. “You probably love your wife, but you’d give a get when they finish with you.”

The agent posing as the brother agreed to wire $20,000 as an initial deposit to Epstein. The rabbi told him it would not take long to do the job.

“They don’t need him for long, believe me. They’ll have him in the van, hooded, and it will happen,” he said.

The arrests were accompanied by a series of searches executed by the FBI in Lakewood, Monsey, Brooklyn and elsewhere, including Yeshiva Shaarei Torah in the Monsey section of Ramapo, N.Y.

The U.S. Attorney’s office in Newark has no immediate comment.

But sources said the investigation grew out of the still pending 2011 case of David Wax.

According to court filings in that case, the alleged victim took a bus on Oct. 16, 2010 from New York to Lakewood, believing he was going to work with David Wax on Talmudic books the rabbi was writing. When he arrived at the rabbi’s home around midnight, he said two unidentified men pummeled him, handcuffed him, blindfolded him and bound his legs and arms, placing him face-down on the bedroom floor.

The complaint in the case said Wax demanded the victim grant his wife a "get" and not seek custody of his children. He then allegedly pulled out a dark-colored body bag and placed it over the victim.

"Get used to the size," he said, according to the complaint, telling his captive that if he didn't comply, he'd be buried in the Pocono Mountains.

The case has been repeatedly adjourned by U.S. Magistrate Judge Douglas E. Arpert in Trenton, who has been assigned to the initial appearances of all those charged in today's matter.

© 2013 NJ.com. All rights reserved.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2013 10:09 AM »

I once watched a documentary about Jewish divorce practices, in Israel there are lots of women in limbo for years because of vindictive husbands refusing to grant divorce to their wives, the men even spend time in prison but still refuse to issue their wives a divorce.

There's a name for the women in such a state (forget what).

Speaking as a divorced woman, dunno how desperate I could have been to obtaint my Islamic divorce if the Mufti had not been able to grant me one islamically.

You'd be amazed just how vindictive men can be. Allowing only the husband to be able to issue a divorce is of course handing him a way to abuse his wife.

I believe in the time of the Prophet (saw) Jewish women went to the Islamic courts seeking divorce because they would be granted one.

Alhumdulillah for being a Muslim. I'd rather tear off my own skin with my finger nails than have remained married.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2013 02:26 PM »

I once watched a documentary about Jewish divorce practices, in Israel there are lots of women in limbo for years because of vindictive husbands refusing to grant divorce to their wives, the men even spend time in prison but still refuse to issue their wives a divorce.
Doesn't a lot of that happen with Muslim couples as well?
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2013 02:31 PM »

Islamic courts can grant a divorce if the husband is not willing.

You need to find a mufti who is qualified and understanding.

The Shariah council does it here.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2013 02:42 PM »

Yea but how many courts are willing to grant the divorce. Aren't a lot of women made to run from pillar to post only to be told to be patient and try to 'work things out' a little more? This happens a lot in Saudi, haven't heard of any case in Hyderabad yet.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2013 03:08 PM »

Well in India the Mufti heard my petition and he had no objection.

I have heard the shariah council suggesting 'patience', totally unimpressed but I suppose each cas shoul be assessed individually.

Point is the Islamic courts have the power to issue divorces, the Beth Din don't, divorce is completely in the husbands power.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2013 04:19 PM »

Point is the Islamic courts have the power to issue divorces, the Beth Din don't, divorce is completely in the husbands power.
Oh...I thought it was the same as our laws.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2013 08:48 PM »

No it isn't.

It goes;
Jews divorce is entirely in the husbands remit the authorities have no power to issue it.

Catholicism divorce is not allowed

Islam both parties can obtain divorce.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2013 02:05 AM »

There's no divorce in Catholicism? What do they do then?
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2013 03:01 AM »

salam

There's no divorce in Catholicism? What do they do then?

They leave the church, that's what they do. They get a civil divorce which is not sanctioned by the church. 
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2013 04:50 AM »

Oh...I thought it was the same as our laws.

So you thought you are gonna get all the power to turn your wife into a doormat and then leave her with no choice huh? Back to drawing board bro Wink

In my area, women's first resorts are the local community leaders who by themselves can't grant divorce. Their role is to facilitate settlement between the partners which if failed could beg the man to offer the divorce. If the man refuses and the woman still wants the divorce, the arbitrator would refer her to a judge in the city.

What baffles me is why some men would insist on relationships that don't work. To me the thing is simple: you were living separately before getting married then if it's not working, would it kill to live separately again? What is the happiness in a marriage with someone who no longer wants you?

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2013 08:44 AM »

What baffles me is why some men would insist on relationships that don't work. To me the thing is simple: you were living separately before getting married then if it's not working, would it kill to live separately again? What is the happiness in a marriage with someone who no longer wants you?
Who'd want to let go a housemaid with no pay? I know I certainly wouldn't  Wink
What baffles me, is why on earth do these men let the relationship turn sour? All it needs is a daily hug and you have an assured maid for life! Cheesy

I wonder how many sisters here want to kill me for saying that?  Huh?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2013 09:41 AM »

I'm not sure about Judaism, but in Islam men can have up to four wives, so what they do is re-marry and leave the other wife hanging. Women can't re-marry without being divorced.

The husbands reasoning being that he doesn't want her to be happy or anyone to be wth her. It's pure vindictiveness.

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2013 10:52 AM »

Huh that's so mean Akhan even though I believe you don't mean what you said.

I agree with you sister. Although for some who are not well-off, their concern is the cost of remarrying. Considering that the union came about initially based on love, it's absurd for one party to turn it into a vengeance game.

What bothers me is when a woman chose to remain in such awful situation in fear of stigma from the society.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2013 12:29 PM »

Huh that's so mean Akhan even though I believe you don't mean what you said.
hahaha...that runs in our family. My dad and stepmum were once discussing a situation in our extended family and stepmum asked dad what if that happened with them so dad told her "two samosas are enough for you". So I have precedent Cheesy

We have a penchant for cracking the meanest jokes imaginable. My brother's are worse.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2013 06:07 PM »

madauntie what the..........??

Who'd want to let go a housemaid with no pay? I know I certainly wouldn't  Wink
What baffles me, is why on earth do these men let the relationship turn sour? All it needs is a daily hug and you have an assured maid for life! Cheesy
I wonder how many sisters here want to kill me for saying that?  Huh?

Uhhh ALL of them I think!! If guys want a maid, they should hire one, you'd get much better service to your liking!  Tongue Not sure what this thread is about but just that I'd respond to that!!??

akhan ekh thappar is all u need Wink
akhan
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2013 06:43 PM »

No no no, maids can never match up to a wife.

Jokes aside, I really think that we men owe a lot to the women in our life, whether it be mothers, sisters or wives. I can never imagine myself doing the amount of work my mother and sister do. They need to be given their due which sadly enough, isn't being done these days. But, as a disclaimer, there a lot of wicked wives out there as well, who need to be given thappars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: