Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

This is how the world ends, not with a bang, but a day of judgement.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It's halal, but is it HALAAL?  (Read 206 times)
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« on: Oct 30, 2013 03:12 PM »

Salam alaikum

I know this sounds really weird, but it has taken me some time to figure out that some people have a different understanding of what halaal means.  The word is used in many different contexts, and for someone who is used to only one version of what halaal is, it has been a challenge. 

so here are my recent encounters with halaal:
- no pork=halaal (ppl are very happy to tell me this!)
- supermarket beef or chicken or turkey=halaal (my arab friends don't seem to mind)
- rare steak=halaal (of course, it is from a cow, not a pig, so what's my problem?)

So I walk into a halaal take-away.  On the menu is something with "bacon" Shocked I ask the server, he says its turkey bacon, so its halaal.  Yeah, ok.  So I ask, is the turkey halaal, and then the conversation stops.  Lips Sealed 

My question has mostly been...It's halaal right...but is it HALAAL?  So I try different words (mostly arabic words like zabihah), or gestures (like the famous pulling your finger across your throat from side to side, hoping they dont think I want to kill them!)...but no luck.

so now I mostly stick to vegetarian, cuz you never know.  it may be halaal, but it may not be HALAAL! after all...

so many muslims around, so little HALAAL Roll Eyes

Wasalam
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2013 04:59 PM »

When we were little NOTHING was halal as in zabiha, we were sooooo used to reading food labels as nothing was permissible, marshmallows, skittles, almost all jelly sweets had gelatine in them, all meat was not halal.

I remember making special trips to Liverpool street where we'd buy live chickens from a Jewish man & the men in the family would zabiha it!

For years I got used to being vegetarian outside the home. Alhumdulillah with growing demand & more Muslims entering the catering industry it's easier now to find zabiha food places.

May Allah make it easy for you.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2013 07:43 PM »

I encounter Sis Shahida's dilemma everyday since being in the US. But then again, there are so many halal outlets - restaurants, mini-markets, bakeries, etc., here in Minnesota - especially the twin cities- Minneapolis/St. Paul and their suburbs, that there is no worry about the authenticity of anything being Halal while eating or shopping at these outlets. There are Muslims from all over the world here that its just a pleasure to eat and shop.

Now, the issue of Halal rears its head when shopping or eating outside of these. MacDonals, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway, restaurants, etc. Some have confirmed that the same oil used to fry french fries is used for the ham/pork.  When at subway or the like, the same hand that sprinkles onions, tomatoes, etc., on your sub touches pork too even if the hand is covered.

Its always better to keep it vegetarian when not sure. Better a peace of mind than anxiety. Better sure than sorry.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2013 08:39 PM »

Sis Fozia, I am living your childhood, and there isnt anyone to go and zabiha the chickens:-) its against the law anyway...although have heard that people go across the border to do things legally.  Imported stuff is dodgy at best...

Sis Halima, that is a very real problem!!! They even prepare veggies here with pig lard, including the french fries, but not only. They make veggie soups, but while preparing, they add some bacon pieces to "add flavour", then remove these before serving. Like minestroni soup almost. Nowhere on the menu does it say that this is the case.  The same with bread, they use pig lard and other fats in the preparation. They also do not understand the concept of putting Vs on products (probably because everything they can possibly stuff a bit of pork into, gets its share, so nothing is purely vegetarian).  I found some vegan products, but they are very expensive...

You'd think this would worry the Muslims...rolling my eyes here.
Be well everyone, enjoy a good halaal meal and think of me,
Wasalam
S.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:01 PM »

May Allah make things easy for you sis Shahida. Only reading this is making me cringe.
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:38 PM »

Sis Shahida, looks like you need your own garden..yikes. Where are you again?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:53 PM »

We've only had the V sign on products recently as the vegetarian society can get quite militant. Alhumdulillah for the vegetarian society!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2013 09:54 PM »

salam

Salad and bread should be safe.  And mac and cheese of course. There you go, problem solved.  

You're welcome Smiley

Seriously, buy a crock pot and prepare your own food.  Buy the meat/chicken in bulk.  Use  the crock pot or the slow cooker before you leave for work and it will turn it self off after 6 hours. It is dead easy, put the meat/chicken with veggies and some spices and turn it on.  Your food will be ready by the time you come home.  

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2013 03:30 AM »

Wow! That's scary Sis Shahida. Vegies not being Halal!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: