// Need information on Islamic dining etiquette
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need information on Islamic dining etiquette  (Read 200 times)
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« on: Nov 06, 2013 07:39 PM »

salam

This is a weird request but I'm hoping there's some Madina peeps who can help me.

I'm researching hospitality and how we treat guests when it comes to serving food.  Islamically, there is a lot of dining etiquette involved in hosting guests and I wondered if anyone had any info like hadiths and book/online sources. 

I wanna show how hospitable and welcoming us muslims can be!  purplehijabisis

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2013 11:36 PM »

salam

see these links:

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/463645-give-him-the-fish-generosity-in-islam-video.html

http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/ethics-and-values/460191-hospitality-in-islam-the-joy-of-honoring-others.html

In the old times, it was a genuine Arab trait to be generous to your guests and to be hospitable even before Islam. 

Hatem Al-Taee (حاتم الطائی  ) was  a pre-Islamic poet who was know for his extraordinary generosity and hospitality. 

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2013 09:38 AM »

I once wrote something on Islamic Etiquette, I think it had some dining stuff in it. Let me see if I can find it.

Update found it! Yes here's some stuff you can look thru:

Index of some related Hadith
(Look these up in your Hadith software to find authenticities and Tafseers.)

The Prophet Muhammad (s) said:
•   Humility and courtesy are acts of piety.
•   There is not any Muslim who visits another in sickness, in the forenoon, but that seventy thousand angels send blessings upon him till the evening; and there is no one who visits the sick, in the afternoon, but that seventy thousand angels send blessings upon him till daybreak, and there will be a pardon for him in Paradise.
•   Feed the hungry and visit a sick person, and free the captive, if he be unjustly confined. Assist any person oppressed, whether Muslim or non-Muslim.
•   A believer who condoles with his brother on a bereavement will be dressed by Allah in the robes of honor and glory on the Day of Resurrection
•   Make food for Ja’afar’s family as they are distracted by the event. (death)
•   He who believes in one God, and a future life, let him honor his guest.
•   Whoever believes in God and the Hereafter must respect his guest; and whoever believeth in God and the Hereafter must not incommode his neighbors, and a Mumin must speak only good words, otherwise remain silent.
•   It is not right for a guest to stay so long as to incommode his host.
•   God is pure and loves purity and cleanliness.
•   To every young person who honors the old, on account of their age, may god appoint those who shall honor him in his years.
•   Verily, to honor an old man is showing respect to God.
•   It is of my ways that a man shall come out with his guest to the door of his house.
•   To gladden the heart of the weary, to remove the suffering of the afflicted, hath its own reward. In the day of trouble, the memory of the action comes like a rush of the torrent, and takes our burden away.
•   He who helped his fellow-creature in the hour of need, and he who helped the oppressed, him will God help in the Day of Travail.
•   Whoever is kind to His creatures, God is kind to him; therefore be kind to man on earth, whether good or bad; and being kind to the bad, is to withhold him from badness, thus in heaven you will be treated kindly.
•   Verily, a man teaching his child manners is better for him than giving one bushel of grain in alms.
•   Shall I tell you the very worst among you? Those who eat alone, and whip the slaves, and give to nobody.
•   When anyone was sick Muhammad used to rub his hands upon the sick person's body, saying, ‘O Lord of mankind! Take away this pain, and give health; for Thou art the giver of health: there is no health but You, that health which leaves no sickness.’
•   The best of persons in God's sight is the best amongst his friends; and the best of neighbors near God is the best person in his own neighborhood.
•   The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, has never found fault with any food. If he liked it, he would eat it, if not he would just leave it.
•   The son of Adam (man) has never filled a vessel worse than his stomach. If there is no way out, let there be a third for his meal, another for his drink and another for his breath.
•   A man invited the Prophet (s) to a meal along with four other people. A man followed the Prophet.. At the door, the Prophet (s)  said to the host: “This man has come with us: If you permit, he will come in; if not he will go back.” The host said: I give him my permission, O Allah’s Messenger.”
•   You will never enter Paradise until you become believers, and you will not become believers until you love each other. Shall I guide you to something that makes you love each other? Spread greetings with peace among you.
•   Quran: When you are greeted with a greeting, reply with a better one or return it..
•   If there are three of you, never should two of them talk without the third until you mix with other people, for this would grieve the third.
•   One man belched in the presence of Allah’s Messenger, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, upon which the Messenger said to him: “stop belching, The biggest eaters in this worldly life will be the hungriest in the Hereafter.”
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2013 11:25 AM »

wsalam

JazakAllah khair, Sr. Jannah & Sr. Um Aboodi, this is just perfect and exactly what I was looking for!  I'm writing a non-fiction piece for a writing project and this is definitely a great help.  I think it's such an interesting aspect of our Islamic culture, honouring guests - I can't wait to start writing it!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: