// Noah major motion picture!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I wonder where Bart is, his dinner's getting all cold... and eaten. - Homer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noah major motion picture!  (Read 280 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 16, 2013 09:57 AM »

wow major stars and money for this film but not sure if i like this.... of course opposed to our prophets being depicted in human form. also i believe the story of nuh as in the bible is very different than the quran. perhaps a good dawah opportunity of giving our side story of Nuh as from the Quran though??...

Noah Official Trailer (HD) Russell Crowe, Emma Watson
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2013 02:00 AM »

I was going to post this as soon as I saw it the other day, but you beat me to it (stopped by earlier but didn't get a chance to reply). While I do love the actors in the film, yes as you mention, there is the issue of the image of any of the Prophets (peace be upon them all). Though a part of me does wish that we could somehow see the events that shape our faith (again, as you said, the narratives differ in both Prophet Nuh's case and several others of course). Those who know me, know I have a thing for Emma Watson lol. Loved her in HP and Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Anyways, I do admit I want to see it, religious issues aside, just as a film on it's own. So please don't get mad at me hehe.

But yeah, as you said, when films or documentaries like this come up, it's a chance to at least tell the story from our tradition, as it is bound to come up in a mature discussion of the topic.

Just my thoughts.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2014 08:51 PM »

Interesting article about an Imam who saw it here and his review... http://www.suhaibwebb.com/society/entertainment/an-imams-review-of-the-movie-noah/
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2014 09:16 PM »

Eh. There was a much more conservative article on MuslimMatters about this as well. I really have to say - portraying the Prophets is a no-no, and no matter how moral/awesome the film might be, it just goes against that principle. It's not so much an issue of 'benefit' as it is a simple issue of respect for the Prophets - look at what happened in Christianity when they started portraying their Prophets. The film DID contain nudity, Noah getting drunk, getting high, and it was not based on Muslim beliefs in Noah, rather very much Jewish ones. Some of my friends watched this film (nonMuslim) and praised it for being quite irreligious, just focusing on making it into an 'action' story. Some people get into a tither saying 'well I'm not going to start BELIEVING any of this' - to me that's rather like people who go to bars and say 'well I'm not drinking or doing anything wrong!'

I don't think any of this is worth the fuss, though. The principles underlying this are quite simple - either you decide to follow them, or for whatever reason, you don't.

(Portrayal of the Sahaba's stories is a different issue - I definitely prefer that people watch respectful, Muslim-produced films than those of Hollywood-taste. But even those stories are problematic in that they can over-glorify the Sahaba and place them into super-heroic positions, making them into movie stars rather than accessible people.)
IsmiAnisa

Reputation Power: 7
IsmiAnisa has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2014 04:27 AM »

I have not seen the movie, but once it comes out in rentals I plan to, mostly because I am interested in seeing what all the controversy is about.  The linked review above is interesting, because he says it mostly followed the Biblical account, but other reviews I have read are upset because the movie supposedly strays greatly from the Biblical account.  Since I have not seen it, I cannot weigh in with an opinion on the matter.  One thing I thought is the same as Jannah mentioned in the first post-- possibly a good dawah opportunity.  I was thinking how the movie can actually serve as a springboard for discussion.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2014 03:07 PM »

I saw an interview with Russel Crowe about this movie, he was saying this is an action movie, any biblical references are incidental, they got the bare bones and went with it to create a massive action movie.

People who've seen it are either, wow it was brilliant or that's two hours of my life I'm never getting back.....

So no help. I'm not going to see it personally, but then I'm still traumatised for having to sit thro (Charlton Heston's) the Ten Commandments and (Hedy Lamarr) Samson and Delilah when I was a kid! Quite enough technicolor bibilical movies for me.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: