// Don't look at this if ur fasting!!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "The word "shams" (sun) is feminine, and "qamar" (moon) is masculine. The sun burns itself out to give light and life to everything around, and the moon is muneer, meaning it reflects the light. Within itself it has no light; it radiates the brilliance of the sun. So when we shine as men, the implication is that we are reflecting the glorious light of our women. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'aala be pleased with them."  - Shaykh Abdullah Adhami
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't look at this if ur fasting!!  (Read 510 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 20, 2013 12:53 AM »

Omg I want to eat everything right now!!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/traditional-indian-foods-that-will-change-your-life-forev
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2013 02:34 AM »

Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I've never tried Pani puri (same as ghol gappe or whatever they eat in Bollywood films, right?) but I've always wanted to. I love chicken tikka of course, and my South Indian half LOVES IDLI SAMBAR (akhan, you better get me some when I come visit hehehehhe). Dosas too, big in South India...and ma'sha'allah, we have a restaurant here that has excellent versions of both of these close to my house. Not so much a fan of Vada though.

Was crazy about Jalebi in my youth, but now I've acquired a taste for gulab jamun...my Abba loved it and I always loved how it looked, with the syrup and just the shape and color, but the taste didn't match it's visual attractiveness when I first tried it, but now I have one or two when it's there. Had some really nice gulab jamun when the doctor I was working with in Vegas, took the whole university and clinic team out for dinner on the Strip at a really nice Indian restaurant.

A new-ish place on the other side of the city, has a street food type vibe adn they had Kati rolls, but I think they could be a lot better.

No. 6 looks funky - anybody had that?

Love channa bathura (no. 5) though I was late to that party lol, but once I had channa, I fell in love with it, though the greasiness is a negative...which I am trying to stay away from...had enough curries in Prague lol and of course, at home, so now I eat mostly BBQ/tikka type dishes when it comes to meat.

Momos look really nice, never had them before.

One of the few in my family who doesn't eat baingan...or bhindi

Bhelpuri is yummy!

ROGAN JOSH!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

My amma makes great pakore!!! So if anyone wants to come over.... Wink

Love all the "Feels Like" comments...esp for biryani: Feels Like: Hearing the neighborhood mosque sound its azan for evening prayers.

Def sharing this on Facebook, thakns for the find Sis J - no surprise since it's a FOOD related post.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2013 11:05 AM »

salam

Nice post, sr Jannah. 

I think I will try to cook Rajma (#8) for dinner tonight.  It looks like an Indian version of chilli.  The weather has been cold and miserable and this would be perfect to warm up the soul, inshaAllah. 

I found a recipe here:

http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipes/r/rajma.htm

I hope the kids like it!
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2013 01:26 PM »

No.1 is Biryani! And I don't think I need to mention that if it ain't Hyderabadi, it ain't Biryani Grin

Momos are steamed dumplings with a filling. Too bland for my spicy palette.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2013 03:08 PM »

salam

Can you enlighten us br. akhan on the superiority of  Hydrabadi biryani?  Maybe some pictures will help to illustrate .  Next time your Mum cooks biryani please remember to take pictures.

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2013 03:39 PM »

NYC had a whole bunch of Halal Kati Roll places popup. They were so popular! Surprised there aren't any in London. They were quite good.

Really craving pani puri #9 right now. Mmmm goodness. Do want to make Rogan Josh #18 one day, looks really good! Saw a nice video on youtube on making it. Also #24 that kulfi picture looks amazing!
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2013 05:01 PM »

I don't know how to describe the superiority of our biryani as opposed to others'. But, every food blog I've read that has something about biryani, said ours is the best.

Two years ago I went to Delhi's most famous restaurant for mughlai cuisine, "Kareem's". Their ancestors were chefs in the Mughal kitchens. The waiter recognized our dialect and said "you guys being Hyderabadi, won't like any other biryani so don't order that" when we asked for their biryani.

In April, I got acquainted with a guy from Nagpur(another Indian city). He was here for a month and had biryani almost every other day. Apparently, there are restaurants in Nagpur that parade some garbage as Hyderabadi biryani and people flock to eat that!

The main difference I guess is that Hyderabad is a mixture of north and south India in all aspects whether it be language or culture or cuisine. You can't find that anywhere else in the whole country. North and south have very distinct flavours, north being very mild(I call it bland) and south being very spicy, Hyderabad simply took the best of both and made it better Wink
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2013 06:11 PM »

Have you never had Rogan Josh before Sis J? Or just that you haven't made it yet? One of my favs as you can tell lol.

Yeah momos do look bland, just want to try it since I haven't had it before.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2013 06:24 PM »

I was wondering about momos as well, they look like chinese dumplings.

I'm making baingan bhurta tonight thanx to that list!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2013 12:45 AM »

Sis J we have to do a trip to green street...… lots of pani puri and other street foods
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2013 08:31 AM »

We usually go to chawala on green street for pani puri, but I think they're very expensive & the portions are dire.

Sis Baji take me with you on your next green street street food excursion!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Baji
Sis

Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2013 01:16 PM »

i haven't been to chawala.... but there are now many that do a plate of pani puri for a pound as well as biryani, samosa, chaat, jalebi etc..... no prob inshaAllah we will go together for a trip... followed by 'Afters' which is my absolute favourite Cheesy
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2013 02:04 PM »

Yes we totally need a green st desi food trip! I say we work our way from one end to the other sampling what yumminess they have to offer Wink
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2013 02:53 PM »

oh, let me know and I will join you guys!!! inshaAllah.

lets plan another london madina get-2-getha!!!

Wasalam
S.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2013 03:05 PM »

sounds like a plan.

Sis Shahida I'm in, and I've got the last week of December off and am quite happy to walk thro snow for street food!

Sis Baji, do not go to Chawala, they're a rip off.

Sis J you're hilarious, we'd need to walk really slooooow, on the other hand I want to try Afghani food, but the raisins and rice scare me!

akhan
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2013 04:56 PM »

Auntie, momos are pretty much like Chinese dumplings, the filling might vary though. It's a northeastern specialty and that region is very similar to China and Nepal, even the people look the same.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2013 04:29 AM »

Thanks for including the rest of us. Wink Take your love fest / trip plans elsewhere Sad

**1200th post***

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2013 07:22 AM »

Bro Akhan you're an Indian food culinary expert!

Aww Br WCoast, everyone's welcome (and we're only actually making plans on here not in RL...yet).

Baji
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2013 09:48 AM »

There's a couple of Afghani places I know,one in edgware one in Hendon and another in Luton so I think that will have to be a separate trip Smiley we welcome anyone available to our get together inshaAllah......
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2013 02:27 PM »

wsalam,

i know we always talk about getting together but rarely happens bc of everyones schedules!! there's two HMC Afghani places on Green street! I went to one on EID. The pics are in my Eid diary!! It was a nice place and the food was good altho u have to tell them not to make it too hot!!
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2013 03:55 PM »

Sis J you are so American, it's very funny watching you tell the waiters not to make it hot, because the second they hear you say is it hot they go 'yes yes we can make it very hot...' Cheesy

We also all live so far apart from one another makes it less easy to just meet up on a whim, it has to be planned with military precision.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2013 06:19 PM »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at the Sis J "make it hot" exchange that aunty provided!

Eating with you ladies must be boat loads of fun ma'sha'allah...but when I come to London next, it's gonna be GUYS NIGHT BABY! Me and BrKhalid only. NO GIRLS ALOUD.

BUHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2013 11:16 AM »

Salam,

Are any of u girls free this Sunday or next Sunday?? dec 1 or 8 Let me know!! I'm looking for an antique gold black jewelery set (incl earrings and tikka) type thing for my sis. And Afghani food... y'aani we need no reason for that Wink

ps yes wcoast/fozia i have to actually explain i'm not really desi else they make it like level 5 hot!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: