Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 24, 2014 09:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International Women's Day and Abu Eesa Niamatullah  (Read 817 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2014 08:27 PM »

I did not like the Yasir Qadhi article at all. I will copy and paste from another reader how I feel about his opinion on the whole AE thing:

Z
March 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Well this is disappointing.

Abu Eesa is touted by Maghrib as a scholar and as such this lack of adab is not something trivial at all. It’s a very sad commentary to read Maghrib and Sh Yasir’s statements (who spills more ink on the people who responded than Abu Esa).

I’m no fan of ‘feminism’, and recasting this issue as primarily about feminism (or the response to him) is a smoke screen; this is a cut and dry case of poor adab from someone who has religious authority and claims to uphold the sunnah. Immature/childish jokes about any topic are out of place, and his non-apology would seem to indicate he doesnt even realize what the fuss is about, perhaps the 15 year olds who egg him on with ‘you’re the coolest shaykh!!’ are blurring his judgment.

Should he be burned at the stake? No, of course not people make mistakes. But this does belie a serious lack of understanding of Islamic etiquette and its disconcerting to read the tepid responses from his employer and friend. He brought this upon himself with his sophomoric statements, and based on his latest FB bio (The Precariat Playa – how’s that?) and twitter description (Imam. Scholar. Writer. Alpha-Male. Comedian. Superstar. Thin. And that’s just what THEY say. Ok, perhaps not the last one, but surely I’m allowed ONE word…) one gets the impression that its just another example of ‘shaykhs’ trying to hard to be cool, while they think this will keep them approachable it has the opposite effect and dumbs down this deen and strips it of its immense beauty….

Sh Yasir as a friend you are absolutely right, be there for him and dont abandon, and more importantly help him get a better understanding of basic Islamic adab. One could never imagine you doing something like this…

JustOne
Sis

« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2014 08:29 PM »

Here's another:

Your article lost credibility when you stated, “Abu Eesa never made any jokes about rape, or FGM, or domestic violence. Anyone who thinks otherwise, after reading the entire conversation, either does not speak English as a mother language, or is blinded by rage.”

In fact, he did joke about these things. I saw his comment on his own page, with my own eyes. He wrote:

“You’re right, I apologize. I don’t understand women and tell the guys not to bother either, and we make jokes about them too. The aforementioned two crimes power my thirst and desire to rape women, beat them black and blue, harass them, abuse them, lock them in the boiler room at home and in the Masjid, belittle their hijab and niqab and tell everyone to mutilate their girls’ private parts and then marry them off whilst they’re still at Nursery. Right. Got it. Lads, feel free to do all of the above. I give you the fatwa to do it dammit!”

Perhaps you are not aware that Abu Easa made this comment, or you believe that someone else hacked his account and wrote it in his name. However, that’s unlikely.

AE says he was being sarcastic. What is sarcasm but a form of contemptuous or ironical joking? And you know what, no matter how you take his comment, it’s still sick. What kind of mind says such things, even in sarcasm? English is my native language – I am a writer – and I’m not filled with rage, yet I find it offensive.

I don’t know the brother. I have nothing invested. I am going only by his own words, and on that level I find it shocking that he is in a position to influence young Muslim minds. I know that many people think and behave like this, but they do not normally teach at respected Islamic institutions, at least not in the West.

What about that last line? “Lads, feel free to do all of the above. I give you the fatwa to do it dammit!”

You don’t think there are any impressionable or foolish young men who will take that as a license to do exactly as AE says?

People keep saying he apologized three times. I saw not one sincere, unequivocal apology on his page. In fact, on March 11th he wrote:

“For my final comment on IWD-gate (we’re going to be running out of -gates soon on this page), I apologised and *only* apologised for the #IWD jokes if any of our good sisters had been upset by them. Yet let me make it clear: I don’t accept that I did anything wrong, or made a mistake, and neither do I retract any of those jokes. There was nothing haram or makruh done. Sensitive, edgy, perhaps. But my ego isn’t that big that I can’t apologise to those who genuinely want one because they felt insulted somehow.”

That’s an apology?

It’s disappointing to see intelligent Muslim scholars lining up to defend this behavior. Anyone who defends these comments is someone who does not “get” the reality of violence against women.

I admire the fact that you stand by your friend, ma-sha-Allah. I do not suggest that he should be ostracized, or that you should denounce him as a human being. But he does not belong in a teaching position. Compare AE’s words and behavior to that of Shaykh Ali Al-Timimi:

“In the early 1990′s, Al-Timimi heard in the news about the coming UN 4th World Conference on Women to be held in Beijing, China. He quickly contacted the Islamic Assembly of North America (IANA), and was able to convince them to participate in the conference to represent the Islamic point of view. IANA assigned a delegation led by Al-Timimi. His visionary abilities were used to the fullest. Al-Timimi contacted Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahman ‘Abdul-Khaliq, who wrote a book about women in Islam. Al-Timimi translated that book into English and secured translators for German, French, Swahili, and Chinese translations. In Beijing with a small staff of five persons, Al-Timimi was able to direct the focus on the Muslim participation to his own group. They used to fax press releases daily in Arabic and English from Beijing to the IANA office in the US. The press group in the US would then fax it to over 500 masajid, leading personalities, and the Arabic press.”
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2014 08:57 PM »

Personally, I followed AE's page for about a year, but I couldn't handle his sense of humor and his insistence on antagonizing anyone. I was truly offended a few months ago and when I commented on his status, he told me to read his disclaimer, which basically said that he was offensive and he knew it, either put up or leave. Sooo I did. I'm not surprised it caught up with him, although it really is a pity considering how much he has done for some issues which have been under-discussed by other scholars. Anyway, I followed the drama but it left a bitter after taste.

May Allah guide us all.
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2014 09:31 PM »

“Abu Eesa never made any jokes about rape, or FGM, or domestic violence. Anyone who thinks otherwise, after reading the entire conversation, either does not speak English as a mother language, or is blinded by rage.”

I stopped reading the article at that point…. apparently he’s making an excuse for his sorry-a** friend but its not applicable here. Speaking of blinded by rage —Puleeze is he playing some kind of reverse psychology on us? Your bff AE is the one blinded by rage! Let's see if they sing the same old song when that happens to them… cos what goes around, sure does come back around~

Some of these ‘teachers’ are simply unwell, so may Allah guide them.

Perhaps we should do something about this:

Please sign. Jazaks!

http://www.change.org/petitions/al-maghrib-institute-fire-abu-eesa-niamatullah

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2014 10:14 PM »

Abuot things like rape I wouldnt say what goes around, it's not his daughter or the women in his family who spoke out of turn.

I think this is a good lesson tho, those in positions of influence should really guard their tongues, jokes that cause harm and hurt should be avoided (I thought the latter was basic Islam).

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2014 07:19 PM »

As-Salaamu` alaykum,
Well, those people who inflict harm/violence on others—who make others suffer also make themselves suffer; because what you do to others, you do it to yourself.
And all this negative energy you put out there, it will ultimately come back to you—in one form or another.

So they will suffer the consequences of their actions—of course, there are different form of suffering but only Allah knows in which form its going to manifest itself. The opposite is also true—that children of the righteous people benefit from and reap the fruits of their parent's righteousness long after they are gone...it's an endless cycle.

The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said: “Whoever wishes to be delivered from the fire (of Hell) and enter the garden (of Paradise) should die with faith in Allah and the Last Day and should treat the people as he wishes to be treated by them.“ [Sahih Muslim]

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: