// Don't know what to do with loans and school
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't know what to do with loans and school  (Read 195 times)
Beautiful-Love

Reputation Power: 1
Beautiful-Love has no influence :(

« on: Nov 18, 2013 03:06 AM »

Hello, I am new to the forum.

A little background on me...I am 24 years old and have just been accepted to a graduate school in healthcare last month. I was more than extremely ecstatic. I remember praying constantly about getting in and FINALLY after years of preparation I felt that God had answered my prayer. I was able to pass the interview and accepted to the class for next fall with early notification!

Now I am trying to be more religious and I've been doing a lot of research and praying because I have a big problem right now. The program will cost me about 100K. I've done so much trying to get myself ready, working during undergrads etc. My initial plan was that I would take a student loans to cover the costs. I am in a jam living in the U.S., with a job paying 10 bucks an hour right now, and parents who are basically living paycheck by paycheck (father working 2 jobs 7am-midnight).

I don't know what to do. I feel like I can't move forward if I'm not able to pay for school and help out my parents. They are getting older and my dad working 2 jobs to sustain enough isn't going to work out for too long. I am also the oldest of the kids, and I've been basically taking of myself financially. I haven't been able to save much as everything I earn goes towards bills and other living expenses.

I don't know  what I'm supposed to do about school? It's been so competitive to get in, and if I was even to try to work and save up money, to have 100K in my bank account that would take me a decade.

Is there something that I can do about this? Am I guarantee hell if I was to take out the loans and repay them back -- of course I won't be able to pay them all back before the interests kick in sadly ):

What do I do in this situation?
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2013 05:33 AM »

Does your school offer financial aid/FAFSA? If you're in the US, and you can exhibit need, they should be able to help you out.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2013 12:50 PM »

Yes, I'd try financial aid and a Pell grant if you can, you might be able to get some kind of fellowship. I'd call up the school's financial aid office and see if you can work something out. Also, you can try looking for student loans that are interest free. Speak to a local scholar who can give you better insight on your specific situation inshaAllah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: