Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 23, 2014 08:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invisible Child  (Read 353 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 21, 2013 05:45 PM »

Salam,

This 5 chapter article in the New York Times about a little homeless girl named Dasani and her life will really make you believe in the spirit of resilience despite life's miseries.

Who is to blame here? The parents? The state? Rich people? Society? It's just so sad. But definitely one of the most important reads I've done in a long time.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/invisible-child/#/?chapt=1
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2013 10:29 AM »

Salam,

Thanks for posting this...took me a while to read, but well worth it.  Tough situation, which is unfortunately too common, subhanAllah. Highlights for me the importance of having someone who has your best interests at heart, to help guide you. A role model, someone who can bring you back after you stray... Teachers are so NB, may allah bless them. And all those who help to keep the youth occupied and off the streets.

Everybody is to blame, and yet nobody in particular. Hard to read, and believe it is happening in NYC!!! Kept thinking her own parents are her worst enemies, but arent they also just victims of the unjust system? That ppl can be so downtrodden in the USA is shocking.  Maybe if the givernment spent less on waging wars, it would have enough to provide humanely for all its citizens. Shame on them, that children have to die and people have to starve in the richest country in the world.  You could expect a story like this in Africa...

Hope she gets a better ending, and gets to escape that almost inescapable cycle of poverty, ignorance and abuse...
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013 03:06 PM »

Wsalam,

Glad someone read it! It is shocking to read, but really puts a lot of life in perspective doesn't it. It is really an important window into a whole world most people who have always had wealth, money, education never thought about! I think the rest of the world thinks of America as all extremely rich, but what they don't realize is that we have the 1% with all the wealth, a bigger middle class than other countries kind of hides this, but we still have a lot of working poor and outright poverty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: