Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's the weather like where you are?  (Read 1056 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 23, 2013 02:16 PM »

Todays weather in London: cold, rainy, windy.... where are some moors when you need them?

I did hear New York had a high of 66 f yesterday, the world is so odd? idunno

------------

Speak of the North
By Charlotte Brontë

Speak of the North! A lonely moor
Silent and dark and trackless swells,
The waves of some wild streamlet pour
Hurriedly through its ferny dells.

Profoundly still the twilight air,
Lifeless the landscape; so we deem
Till like a phantom gliding near
A stag bends down to drink the stream

And far away a mountain zone,
A cold, white waste of snow-drifts lies,
And one star, large and soft and lone,
Silently lights the unclouded skies.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2013 05:16 PM »

salam

Weather is very miserable and dangerous in southern areas of Ontario as well as Quebec and the Maritimes (i.e. Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick , see map below).  

Freezing rain followed by a rapid drop in temperature is responsible for power outages. Lots of trees have fallen due to the weight of ice formed on their branches (pictures below).  

My area is fine alhamdolellah.  Many people will be without power for the next few days in surrounding areas.  

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2013 09:35 AM »

Be safe everyone, UmmAboodi may Allah protect you all there!!! Saw this on the news, and it is too scary subhanAllah...

Happy that the weather is mild and we have central heating, alhamdulillah!  No storms, no snow for xmas, hehe.

Be warm everyone, drive safely (added that ppl drive drunk this time of year, so be extra careful inshaAllah) and keep the ummah in your duas. 

We cannot imgaine what it is like for the refugees in thin tents and no heating...may Allah grant them all relief, peace and security and bring back their happiness.

Salam
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2013 10:13 AM »

Ameen to your Duas sis Shahida.

I kept waking up scared my windows were going to blow in last night. Thinking of the plight of our brother and sisters who have been driven form their homes due to war this winter puts everything into perspective subhanallah

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2013 05:26 PM »

Wow those pictures are amazing.That kind of ice is really dangerous. It freezes the trees and lots of power lines go down, and black ice is extremely dangerous to drive on. Stay safe people!
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2013 09:52 AM »

Weather here is awesome. It's about 22 degrees Celsius...few clouds here and there, but overall, fantastic. Alhamdulillah Smiley
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2013 03:45 PM »

salam 

and sr JO, if you ever miss Canadian winters, you can just drive to Dubai mall and start skiing or skating !!  snowball

Enjoy the awesome weather sr JO, and send  some warm sunny thoughts our way!
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2013 08:53 PM »

Assalamu'alaikum

It's freezing here in IL. I landed in Chicago in the morning and it was 17 degrees fahrenheit. It's slightly warmer here in Springfield but still very very cold. Sheesh!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013 03:01 PM »

walaikum salam,

Ooopssssssss forgot to tell you that it's darn cold in the midwest in winter. And that Chicago/Illinois area gets tons of snow during winter because of the Lake effect snow. Buy some warmmmm clothes and outside stuff... gloves hat boots!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2013 03:02 PM »

BTW you do know that ppl say Springfield, IL is where the Simpsons is based Wink lol
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013 04:21 PM »

It is windy too. A good thing though, is that the sun sets right outside my window. Smiley
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014 12:12 PM »

A.A.

Its 17 degrees C here, yet I find it way too cold. My plans of getting Canadian immigration have gotten really shaky because I've come to realize that I am not very productive in winters here, let alone Canadian winters!

I recently took IELTs and scored 8 which is good enough for immi iA, but now i'm considering Aus instead of CA due to weather conditions.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2014 04:58 PM »

Cold and windy
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2014 07:14 PM »

Except it's not Sis J - Maggie went to my school...Portland is famous for it's 64 breweries...Portland and Oregon often mentioned in episodes (even the TreeHouse of Horror episode not too long ago, Bart talks to an alien and tellsd them about Portland and rain lol).

ANYWAYS, cold here, but clear skies, though really foggy quite often too. Feel bad for mid west peeps...my cousin who studies in Chicago delayed his return flight due to that polar vortex that is about to hit...-50 F tomorrow!

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Shahida
Sis

Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2014 08:29 PM »

Everytime I see the weather forecast, I am so glad I don't live in Winnipeg,alhamdulillah!!! It took me a moment to realize there was a minus before the number! Omg,how can anything survive there? Those are like polar temperatures,subhanAllah...brrrrr
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2014 01:25 PM »

In terms of cold versus warm, it's definitely nice to live in a moderate climate, but I noticed in very cold/snowy areas like upstate new york/canada they are prepared for cold because everything is heated... from houses to cars to malls etc. In areas that are not used to extreme cold like the UK and mid-Atlantic US they feel it a lot more.

If you're considering Canada versus Australia I think the most important thing is to check out the Muslim community in the area you are going to. If it's well-established, has Islamic schools and programs, it's an active community etc.

This year's cold temp vortex hovering around chicago is really scary. Hope everyone keeps warm and safe inshaAllah.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014 06:55 PM »

Looks like the cold vortex has come to welcome me. Our orientation was supposed to be today but it's been postponed till tomorrow.
Shahida
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2014 07:42 PM »

:thobebro:Bro akhan, stay indoors and warm!!! The temps outside are seriously dangerous, dont want anything bad to happen to you... :-)

Chicago -40degrees?? How is that even possible? Its not the south pole...crazy, seriously crazy...
akhan
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2014 04:59 PM »

It hit upto -11F with the wind chill factor, thankfully not as bad as Chicago, alhamdulilah.

My housemates left chicago the day before yesterday and arrived only last night, they got stranded multiple times on the way. A day and a half for a 5 hour journey. May Allah make it easy for everyone.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2014 09:11 PM »

Yikes. I hope you bought some serious cold weather stuff... including hat, ear muffs, gloves, heavy duty boots etc. no exposed skin... it is so dangerous!

Update! Just found this so thought I'd add it here lol. Good luck!!

As you well know, the key to staying warm in very cold weather is layering. But in these cold, competitive times are you willing to stand idly by while your co-workers or neighbors out layer you?

No, you are not. To that end, here is a competitive layering metric to help you accurately score the way you've deployed your winter clothing.

A high score will definitively prove you have out layered the crowd. And that you're warm.

Award yourself 5 points for: Each layer you are wearing.

Award yourself 5 points for:
+ Wearing a hat.
+ Wearing boots.
+ Wearing something on your hands.

Award yourself 2 points each for:
+ Wearing a synthetic or wool base layer. Because you know that cotton won't be keep you warm if gets wet or damp. ("Radiant Orchid" may be the color of 2014, but wool is the new black.)
+ Wearing mittens. (Add 1 more bonus point if you do so proudly and without reservation. Because you're not ashamed to have warm hands.)
+ Wearing glove liners under your mittens. Because sometimes you need to exhibit some measure of manual dexterity.
+ A scarf.
+ A zip-able second outer layer. Because shoveling works up a sweat.
+ Wearing some sort of outer pants that are not jeans. Fact: Few people truly look hot in skinny jeans -- even fewer look warm in them.
+ Wearing synthetic or wool socks. See above about cotton. (Add 1 bonus point for wearing two pairs of socks.)
+ Waterproof footwear.
+ Those YakTrax things that keep you from slipping on the ice.

Award yourself 1 bonus point each for:
+ An especially dorky hat. Concerned you are not by hat hair.
+ A shamelessly bulky or un-chic scarf.
+ Covered ears.
+ Wearing a balaclava. But: Subtract a point if it's a creepy balaclava. Noted: Most balaclavas will be a wash in points.

Subtract points for:
+ Animal fur. Even if the fur is from a loyal (and very warm) companion. (10)
+ Uggs. (2)
+ A sweater with any sort of reindeer on it. (2)
+ A Snuggie. (5)
+ Not being able to put your arms down. (5)

Special 50-point super bonus for:
+ Just wearing whatever does the job and keeps you warm, not worrying about what you look like.
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2014 10:45 PM »

Hang in there akhan! Sorry you got a bit of a rude welcome to the States hehe. Scary indeed.
So glad we are in the 40s and 30s. Does dip to uipper 20s at night, but nothing worse than that.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2014 01:49 PM »

Yea baba, pretty rude welcome. I had the orientation yesterday and every American said it's been bad even for them. I just hope I don't get sick.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2014 08:39 PM »

yeah it's been rough for their/our standards as well...yeah, getting sick is the worst when being a student especially when you are away from home etc.

Keep us updated.

BABA
desibro

Shahida
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2014 08:23 AM »

Hehe Jannah, that was funny... find it interesting that most people wear jeans in cold weather!  They have never been amongst my warmest pants... but having said that, there isnt much of an option in the shops these days i suppose.

Whats a snuggie? and I get all the bonus points, hehe!

Wslm
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2014 09:12 AM »

I used to have a Russian colleague and he said he'd forgotten how cold Russian winters get, during his last visit home he ended up wearing two pairs of jeans to make his journey from the airport to his home. apparently that's normal in Russia.

My boilers broken down, wow does one appreciate hot water and central heating when it's not there anymore! 

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: