// Meet the Hijabi Pop Star Taking America By Storm
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy. - Jalaluddin al-Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the Hijabi Pop Star Taking America By Storm  (Read 443 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 23, 2013 07:14 PM »

I've actually never heard of her.... Am I getting old or something??  oldshaykha

========================
Meet the Hijabi Pop Star Taking America By Storm

Yuna is a Malaysian pop star whose most recent LP, Nocturnal, has quickly become one of the most notable releases of the year. Nocturnal, put out by Verve Records, is a potpourri of danceable landscapes overlaid with buttery-smooth vocals, buoyant lyricism, and a tasty sprinkling of Eastern sensibility.

Yuna's not only unique for her music, though. She is also one of the few women in global pop to wear a hijab. She is fast becoming an icon for hijabi women because she maintains traditional dress while excelling in the super-fashionable pop world.

With a career path that seems to be on a non-stop skyward trajectory, including an award from the Prime Minister of Malaysia and a collaboration with Pharrell, Yuna is sure to be a name you'll be hearing more often. PolicyMic had a conversation with the songwriter about the Malaysian music scene, her transition from Malaysia to the U.S., and her latest record.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/77317/meet-the-hijabi-pop-star-taking-america-by-storm
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2013 03:13 AM »

Yuna's been around for a while, mainly on the indie scene. She had an album out in 2012 which was quite good.   She also has her own fashion label and store which sells really pretty hijabs and other things.  It's interesting to see the way she wears her hijab in various ways, especially the circle scarf - the tutorials are fun to watch.
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013 11:25 AM »

I first knew of her from tumblr.  I saw a pic of her and I thought it was a really cool image of a hijabi with a guitar.  I always wanted to learn how to play one!  She makes pop music in the same vein as Norah Jones.  She's got a lovely voice.  Love her song 'Deeper Conversation'.  She deserves to break into mainstream success but she hasn't cracked it yet which is a shame.  She needs a radio break. 

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013 06:16 AM »

She deserves to break into mainstream success but she hasn't cracked it yet which is a shame.  She needs a radio break. 

Totally agree. Some of her songs have made it into T.V. and film soundtracks though. Love the songs "Favourite Thing" and "Fading Flower".  Hope she does get a bigger break.
Safiye

Reputation Power: 26
Safiye barely matters :(Safiye barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013 12:59 AM »

yeah I like her "see you go" one, I will support almost anything that works to make hijab more main stream, in the long run it makes my life easier=)
plus she's got a lovely voice!
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014 07:46 AM »

This, I have to see. Insha-Allah.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: