Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 21, 2014 03:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: O rishta, rishta, wherefore art thou my rishta.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hijab limits  (Read 199 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« on: Dec 24, 2013 03:49 AM »

Salam!

Quick controversial question - where do you draw the line with hijab? I think that we all follow the basics - covering in loose, non transparent clothing, everything but the face/hands/feet, etc.

But how exactly do you deal with the argument that 'the hijab must not be an adornment in itself'?

I'm sure that we all come from very different cultural backgrounds and have different ways of dressing up every day, or for special occasions. I always understood that as long as you weren't committing 'tabarruj' or blatant showing off by donning 'garments of fame' that we are forbidden from doing in Islam, then what you're  wearing is fine, and of course this means that you need to be sensible and see what society around you is like and not go wearing your Sudanese gold bracelets in the streets of London!

But I've seen the 'adornment' argument come up in some other websites...and to be honest I find it a bit puzzling?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2013 07:40 AM »

usually the adornement argument comes from men.

I reckon people should mind their own business and lower their gaze.

Observing hijab is difficult it identifies us as seperate from others, however people deal with it best for them is up to them, so long as they do not declare it's the correct and only way to do so.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2013 05:34 PM »

Salam,

I'm not sure where the hijab line is either. I mean there are extremes, like the Taliban's burka one eye (or grate) thing, Saudi's all black abaya and then there's those hijabis like aaliya on citizen khan (skinny jeans, mac counter makeup and bangs). Somewhere there has to be a middle that is respectful and modest without destroying the self-respect and self-esteem of women.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: