// Halal and non-spicy?????
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Insomnia is my greatest inspiration. - Jon Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halal and non-spicy?????  (Read 388 times)
Zuni_muj_fudge
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Zuni_muj_fudge has no influence :(

If ALLAH (S.W.T.) wanted all women to be size zero

« on: Feb 18, 2013 05:07 PM »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can any brother or sister help me? I live in the UK, and currently divide my time between Nottinghamshire and Bolton (currently incapacitated by a broken and operated on leg, so living temporarily at my parents house as I couldn't move in my top floor flat in Bolton) but hoping IN SHA ALLAH to move away from Bolton permanently and back to Notts soon. I want to take my parents, Granddad, both my brothers and my sister and brother-in-law out for dinner to say thank you for putting up with me screaming in agony at all hours of the night since the beginning of this year, which is where help is needed. Obviously all the meat served in any restaurant we choose should be halal, but all the restaurants we have seen in the UK that serve halal are curry houses, which is not suitable for my family (who have not yet accepted Islam, but try as far as possible to keep halal which is quite hard as they live in the middle of nowhere).

Dietary Requirements of my lovely family
My Mum doesn't mind curry as long as its quite mild, but prefers non spicy.
My eldest Brother (really my cousin but has been in our family for as long as I can remember) likes curry quite strong but suffers from stomach problems so cannot have it any more.
My Dad hates anything spicy, even pepper.
My Sister is the same as my Dad, but is Vegetarian as well (non fish as well as meat)
My youngest Brother is what he describes as a 'wonky-vore' as he eats meat,  but only if it doesn't look like meat (he will eat mince/keema, sausages and burgers) He is also Diabetic (as is my husband and eldest brother/cousin/troll type person) so has to be extra careful with sauces especially in Indian restaurants which have hidden sugars in.
My Brother in law will anything as long as its a burger!
My Husband is diabetic, but will eat anything halal. (as long I ok it for sugar etc)
My Granddad will eat anything, but has to be careful to have low fat, low salt etc cos of his blood pressure.

So as you can see its not as easy as nipping to the local curry house as that only feeds half the party!
What we could do with is somewhere in the East Midlands of UK (Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire) that is a halal restaurant that serves English dishes other than the usual English choices of Omelette n chips/chicken n chips/steak n chips/salad n chips. I want to take them somewhere a bit better than a pizza shop/burger bar/fast food, and not KFC as they AREN'T halal, no matter how much their website claims they are (they had HMC/HFA status, but according to HMC website they cancelled it after deciding not to proceed with halal restaurants, but KFC have not publicised this fact; madauntie but that's for another rant...)
Also, Arabic/Middle Eastern places are out, as even they are too hot for my dearest Daddy!

Does anyone know if such a place exists?  Huh?

NOTE: yes I know I could make something for them, but there isn't enough room in the house for us to all sit round a table to eat, so that idea's out till me n my husband get a place in Nottinghamshire that IN SHA ALLAH will be big enough to entertain all NINE of us!
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2013 05:51 PM »

http://www.halalhmc.org/
Put your postcode in that and it will show you.

HFA are not trust worthy.
They do still certify KFC.
The reason why KFC isn't considered Halal is its meat is stuned and mechanically slaughtered.
Well HFA doesn't have a problem with stunning, mechanical slaughter, playing a recorded bismillah Allahuakbar while a machines do the slaughter.
HFA do not inspect anyway so shops that do not meet even its criteria can sell what they want. I have seen HFA shops selling ham.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2013 09:19 AM »

I think what you need to do is cook!! There's no other way to please everyone. Pick a theme and go with it always works for me Wink Make a few different things/levels of spicyness and veg dishes and u'll be all set!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2013 10:16 AM »

Most halal places which do meat also do burgers and chips type meals.

When ordering a curry you can order very mild.

Alternatively take the out to pizza

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Zuni_muj_fudge
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2013 01:04 PM »

To: both kind sisters who replied.
Can I come to one of your houses to serve it then? Grin
 See my post at the bottom (the bit highlighted by "Note"). Can't fit all 9 of us in the same room to eat, even if we sit on the floor. Tried it MANY MANY times (I even had the friction burns to prove it!)
I may have found a place in Nottingham called 'Red hot World Grill', its owned by Muslims, serves a range of foodstuffs, IS HALAL,  but also serves not only alcohol but pork products as well  Sad
My Daddy did have a nice idea tho; we could have a picnic! lovely, as long as it doesn't rain... otherwise we have same problem of space as 9 people can't fit in my Daddy's camper van with their cups of tea... we've tried it, only way it works is if me and my sister sit on our husband's knees, who then in turn sit on my Daddy and Granddad's knees. If weather's nice this weekend (when my husband is coming IN SHA ALLAH from Bolton, and my sister and brother in law may be travelling from their home in Leeds) then look out Markeaton Park in Derby, you may be overrun by a crazy family of "gora's" (desi-speak for white people) and a rather lovely Desi (my hubby).
Zuni_muj_fudge
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2013 10:27 AM »

UPDATE: So far, we still haven't managed anything. Me and Hubby Sahib are still living at my parents as my leg is still not healed, after having ANOTHER operation which has caused more harm than good really...
We have discovered to our absolute horror that not all the meat in Red Hot that could be halal IS halal, and I may have inadvertently eaten the non halal stuff (it WASN'T pork, it was turkey which one day had no sign next to it, but THE VERY NEXT DAY had a sign next it saying it wasn't halal). We also discovered it isn't run by Muslims, but Sikhs.
We still want to take them somewhere, and now as Hubby Sahib has got his Citizenship through we want to take them somewhere REALLY special after his citizenship ceremony (so BURGER, CHIPS, AND PIZZA WONT CUT IT!!!!!)
This is now really getting me down as my Daddy says he and my brothers probably won't come due to easiness, as we obviously can't forget our norms (as in keeping halal) but my Daddy and my brother MartinBob GingerPants can't change their taste buds, nor can Terry (the cousin/brother/troll type creature) change his duodenal spasms. Because they have all supported me, and now me and my husband, wholeheartedly throughout my life, I don't want any of them to be left out. We still don't have enough space for us all to sit in one room if I cook a full meal.
Any ideas anyone?
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2013 11:05 AM »

You can cook at home and eat in two batches. 1st one batch serves, other eats....then other batch serves the 1 st one. In our family I can never remember each and every family member on the table during a get together. Its always in batches. We are so many Alhamdullilah Smiley
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2013 12:49 PM »

Hmm sounds like dinner is going to be an agony given everyone's requirements. Why don't you go for a nice breakfast/brunch somewhere. That way people can eat pancakes, omelettes, toast and beans, haggis, kidney pie, muesli (&whatever else strange british stuff u guys eat at breakfast;)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2013 08:02 PM »

Can you hire a venue and get some friends and family together to cook a massive banquet type meal, with enough people it can be done, a cousin of mine made her own wedding meal.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
zephyr
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
zephyr has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2013 09:15 PM »

May I suggest Turkish food? And I'm not talking about doner kebabs!!

I mean hummus, Turkish breads, Mediterranean salads, olives, halloumi, borek, mezes, iskander - which is mainly a tomato and yoghurt sauce etc.  I don't know if there are any halal Turkish restaurants in Bolton or Notts? Usually Turkish places have quite a few selection of veg dishes too.  They also do veg mousakka.  Also Turkish food isn't spicy, more like Mediterranean food.

Zuni_muj_fudge
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2014 11:01 AM »

We'd go for Turkish... but seeing as my ex works in the main Turkish restaurant in Nottingham, and one of his best mates runs the only other, it might be a bit, well, uncomfortable for him, me, and my hubby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: