Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A dua on both your houses.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brain Drain  (Read 247 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« on: Feb 26, 2014 04:03 PM »

Assalamu alaykum!

Brain drain is "a situation in which many educated or professional people leave a particular place or profession and move to another one that gives them better pay or living conditions".

I'm sure that many of us here have parents who were immigrants, or who have traveled themselves. Have you ever been accused of contributing to brain drain, or felt guilty for not contributing to 'your country'? My family has shuttled between America and a Muslim country of my parents' origin for years, and we moved to the Muslim country far before it was a fad for people to 'go home' - but now we're back in the States, fairly permanently, as my siblings and I study and grow up and get married. A few days ago I read some quite bitter words against 'people who make excuses and move away', as though we are 'betraying our countries' by 'not contributing' and 'taking your children away', and that the lack of development, the lack of hope in these countries is largely due to our reluctance to help out and weather bad governments and create opportunities.

Frankly I wasn't sure what to think...how should an immigrant feel, then? I love both countries, personally, and want to help people in both - but this is where I want to live.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2014 10:20 PM »

Wa'alaikum assalam

There's always gonna be haters no matter what you do. Find the best opportunity for deen and dunya and stick with it. Learn to ignore people. Be your own judge.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2014 10:03 AM »

My grandfather left India after partition, he saw and lived thro what no one should.

My dad's grown up here so it's not a brain drain as he is giving back into the land that did nurture him. Having said that we all do spend  'back home' invest and give charity there more so than here, it will stop when my parents are no longer around tho as non of us have real ties with India.

Economies that want young and clever people need to be willing to invest in their young and offer them a quality of life and a bright future, I've watched my cousins drop out of schooling as it is so so so corrupt generally and biased against Muslims in particular that only if you're minted and very celver do you stand a chance. Average joes don't cut it, whereas here we are all pretty much given a fighting chance.

I feel no guilt in living here and loving this country. I agree with Br Akhan, totally ignore the haters, besdies what are they doing for their economy apart from passing the blame on to us?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014 10:54 AM »

Wa'alaikum assalam

There's always gonna be haters no matter what you do. Find the best opportunity for deen and dunya and stick with it. Learn to ignore people. Be your own judge.

I second this sheikh.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
kungfupanda
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2014 12:13 PM »

My family had British citizenship before they came to the UK. Or should I say, the UK came on my family. They invaded us. They imposed their citizenship on us. So after ww2 they had to come to the UK the way the whites did. It wasn't by choice. It wasn't to look for a better life. The UK was our country because the white invader decided it was our country. My grand parents did not have the citizenship of the country they were born in, they had UK citizenship. My grand parents did rubbish jobs here, which no white man would consider doing.
My dad started full time work as soon as he finished school. Both my parents saved, set up a business worked hard so we didn't have to. And had the right to choose an education if we wanted and were able.

Even though me and my wife are highly educated by UK standards. I do no look down on my mother for getting married as soon as she was legally able or my father for working instead of studying. I respect what they did for us, and I do not have any respect for me and my wife's university education.
Studying in University isn't hard work, it isn't a sacrifice. Hard work and Sacrifice is what my parents and grand parents did. These days a lot of "born here Muslims", look down on their parents and grand parents. I feel it should be the other way.

I have no patriotism or nationalism in any shape or form. I am not thankful, ashamed or resentful for being born here. I see it as an incidental fact that I have had no control over, just like my hair colour and eye colour.
I do not view myself as any better or worse than Muslims "back home".
And I am sick of people who view "back home" as backward.
My loyalty is to Allah, not to this country, or any other country.
My people are the Muslims, wherever they maybe, of whatever race and nationality they are.
This means if my skills were needed elsewhere, in a Muslim country, any Muslim country. I will go there. What keeps me here isn't a love for this country. It is just some obligations I have here, that I will not reveal to you.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2014 07:54 PM »

Who can guess what is going on in those stadiums?

Soccer match? Political gathering? Public lecture? You will never get it right if you are not a follower of the news from Nigeria! Hundreds of thousands Nigerians gathered across the country for aptitude test on what the Nigerian Immigration Service call Massive recruitment exercise. APTITUDE TEST/EXAM...you read it right! And you know what? Those guys are well aware that over half of the people who would end up getting the job, will not necessarily apply for it, nor be in that commotion.

NOTE: From what I heard this evening, about 10 candidates lost their lives and many were hospitalized today at one of the exam centers following a stampede.

Now tell me, how could someone with such experience turn down an opportunity of leaving the country?

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2014 12:02 PM »

Salams,

Very sad to hear about that ^ those poor desperate ppl looking for jobs...it's horrible times. That looks like a scene out of Hunger Games Sad That agency should be held responsible for those deaths!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: