In the Name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate
TAQDEER (The Fate) in Islam
The belief that everything which happened, happen and will happen is according to the knowledge, will and command of Allah Ta’ala is called Taqdeer. Belief in Taqdeer is compulsory.The advantages of belief in Taqdeer and Tawakkul (Trust in Allah) are as follows:
1. No matter what hardship or misfortune befalls one, it will be accepted without panic and the heart will remain strong in the face-of such hardships. Strong belief in Taqdeer will indicate that Allah’s wish is in this occurrence and it cannot be opposed. The hardship will disappear only when so desired by Allah Ta’ala. Thus the man of Taqdeer accepts what comes his way with contented resignation.
2. One who has understood and accepted this conception of Taqdeer will not be overcome with frustration at the delay in the passing of the hardship. He will not become despondent and lose hope when the misfortune endures for any length of time. He will banish weakness.
3. The believer in Taqdeer and Tawakkul will be grateful (make shukr) in times and occasions of success and prosperity, and he will be patient (make sabr) when failure and adversity overtake him. This is the great advantage which Allah Ta’ala points to in the following aayat:
“…. So that you do not lose hope over what you have lost nor do you become elated because of what you have gained.”
The Islamic conception of Taqdeer should not be misconstrued and the essential and correct ways and means for worldly affairs should not be discarded on the pretext of resignation to Taqdeer. Discarding the lawful means and agencies which Allah Ta’ala has created for worldly affairs is weakness as well as erroneous. Such error and weakness have been criticized in the hadith. Hadhrat Auf Bin malik (radiallahu anhu) narrates that once when Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) decided a dispute, the one against whom the verdict went, exclaimed:
“Sufficient for me is Allah and He is good Protector.”
This exclamation was intended to convey that Allah’s Pleasure was the cause of the setback which he suffered. Hearing this, Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said:
“Allah Ta’ala does not like weakness. Be alert.!”
Here Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) exhorted that one should harness the correct means for one’s case and activity. However, if in spite of instituting the correct measures, failure results, the one will be justified in saying: “Sufficient for me is Allah and He is good Protector.” This hadith appears in Abu Dawood.
Hadith on Taqdeer
1. Hadhrat Jabbir (radiallahu anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said:
“You can never be a Mu’min as long as you do not believe in Taqdeer in its good and its bad to such an extent that whatever is to happen will not be warded off and whatever is not to happen will not occur. (Tirmizi) (Excerpt from Hayetul Muslimin)
Twakkul (Reliance) on Allah
Use the system, ways, means, materials, environment, ability, features from Allah
Supplication/ Dua/ Sadqa/ Donation
• ALL THESE ARE GIVEN by ALLAH :-
• We will be tested whether we believe everything is from Allah ?
• We rely (test)on Him?
• We are (test) grateful for the means and ways
Human Efforts/ Supplication/ Dua/ Sadaqa
• Anything worth trying is worth trying it in the best way.
• We will be accountable (test) whether we take halal or haram means.
Human are required to have faith on Taqdeer and be content, happy on the Taqdeer.
We are tested whether we believe in Taqdeer ? We are content (test)at Allah’s will?
• Most of the time our efforts result according to the system/ ways / natural ways, also created by Allah.
• If someone smokes, he/ she has chances of getting lung cancer and if someone takes an apple a day chances are she/ he will keep the doctor away. The features of good/ bad in apple, tobacco are given by Allah.
• Whether it is being done with efforts/ medicine/ supplication/ dua/ sadaqa for removal of bad fortune, these all were also included in Taqdeer. That is the believe we need to have.
• We should be grateful (test) to Allah for Good/ success and Take patience (test) for bad/ failures
• We should not be boosting / too happy (test) on success and too sad (test) for failures, rather be content on Allah’s Will. After all it is all Allah is giving.
• Final will is from Allah.
Which taqdeer is Allah’s knowledge and which one is Allah’s command/ will, we may not know it (beyond our perception/ gaib). However, since human beings are accountable for their intention, action/ efforts, they are free to choose their intention, actions/ efforts, Allah’s knowledge is the taqdeer relating to intention, action/ efforts. Allah, the almighty, the exalted is so much so powerful, He knows everything from past, present and future. Nothing is out of knowledge of Allah. Allah sees the smallest black insect under the black sea in a black night. Since Allah knew every detail of what a person would do, Allah wrote it down, and that is the taqdeer of a person. In case of the outcomes/ results of human efforts, Allah’s command is the taqdeer. After all none of us has any control on the results, outcomes of our efforts. So many factors work on the outcome of any efforts with so many ramifications, Allah alone has the control and He alone can decide on that. That is why with same efforts, same means we see different results. Even if it results according to set system/ ways / natural ways, the set systems are also created by Allah. Either way Allah knew everything beforehand, and His commands in case of outcomes, which is why it is called taqdeer.
Allah 's will may be to strengthen us, to test us, to give us long term benefits, and/ or may be due to our disobedience of Allah's command. It may be one or may be a combination of causes, which we wouldn’t know (beyond our perception/ gaib).
If some one keep on denying the greatest truth of Allah, His Prophets, Hereafter (test) or may be he is arrogant, disbeliever, or a liar, cheater, making false oath, making false allegation, then Allah will put a veil on his mind, thought and he will be blind, will be deprived from Allah’s Guidance (hedia) and would not be able to distinguish between right and wrong, truth and false. Same way it is true in the other direction too. If someone is sincere and looking for right path, straightforward, righteous, Allah will increasingly guide him to the right path. May Allah, the Almighty guide all of us to His chosen path.
What is not Taqdeer:
Some people say Human action is taqdeer, it is not correct. The way it is said, it appears human beings are able and can create their taqdeer by way of doing things and doing things in certain ways. Which is not correct. Taqdeer is which has been written before our actions, predestined, it is not created, written after we do the actions. We know Allah alone has the authority in taqdeer, whether it is through Allah’s knowledge or by Allah’s command. The power, right and authority are with Allah.