Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 20, 2014 10:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: All the world's a dars.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss World Muslimah 2013!?  (Read 375 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Sep 22, 2013 10:24 AM »

Hmmm.... aren't there better ways to recognize and appreciate Muslim women than pageants??

-----------------
An all-Muslim beauty pageant, World Muslimah 2013, has crowned its winner in Indonesia even as the Muslim hardliners of the country continue to protest against the Miss World 2013 pageant.

Obabiyi Aishah Ajibola of Nigeria was crowned Miss World Muslimah 2013 on 18 September at the third edition of the pageant held in Jakarta. Ajibola has won a prize money of $2200 (£ 1365) and trips to Mecca and India in reward.

Established by the World Muslimah Foundation (WMF) in 2011, the World Muslimah beauty pageant is exclusively for Muslim women and is aimed at strengthening self-development in Muslim women.

Miss World Muslimah 2013: Muslim Pageant Crowns Winner in Indonesia amid Anti-Miss World Protests

The unique beauty pageant saw contestants wearing headscarves (hijab) while they cat walked clad head to foot in colourful burqa-styled gowns.

A total 20 contestants from Indonesia, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam and Iran participated in the pageant that was broadcast live from Jakarta. The contestants were evaluated on their knowledge of Quran, life skills and fashion.

Indonesian Muslims decry Miss World pageant

The city of Jakarta has been witnessing protests against the Miss World pageant ever since Indonesia was declared the host country of the pageant for 2013. Protesters have been shouting slogans with banners and placards that read: "Reject Miss World" and "Miss World Go To Hell." The protests eventually confined the pageant to Bali, the only Hindu-dominated province in the world’s most populous Muslim country, Indonesia.

Earlier, Jakarta was the host city for the finale of Miss World 2013, to be held on 28 September but the venue has been changed the venue to Bali, where the Miss World 2013 contestants are already taking part in several legs of the pageant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2425159/The-Muslim-Miss-World-Nigerian-contestant-crowned-beauty-pageant-held-oppose-Miss-World-contest-Bali.html
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2013 10:31 AM »

It wouldnt work if the sisters all wore niqab now would it?

why isnt there a male version of it, if its so respectful?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2013 06:43 PM »

Hmmm.... aren't there better ways to recognize and appreciate Muslim women than pageants??

Probably. Nevertheless, given some of the racial attitudes found in certain parts of the Ummah, I thought it was pretty cool that the Nigerian contestant won.

Also, this is being described as a Muslim "beauty" pageant in the Western press.  But was the pageant described in different terms in Indonesia, Malaysia, Nigeria, Iran, etc.? Just wondering ...
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2013 06:45 PM »

Just $2200 and a trip to INDIA?Huh? Of all the places in the world, INDIA?Huh? Truly surprising, as surprising as the pageant itself Tongue
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2013 12:14 PM »

What's wrong with going to India? It's exoticness and beautiful architecture and clothes has been show-cased in Bollywood spread all over the Muslim world!!
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2013 12:54 PM »

Exoticness? The slums and the traffic and the pollution and the dirt look exotic to you?

But there are certain things here that are better than anywhere else. But nothing that is worth giving as a prize for winning a pageant.
maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2013 12:11 AM »

Yeh, still can't believe why Muslims always try to find ways to "Islamize" some alien traditions
Safiye

Reputation Power: 26
Safiye barely matters :(Safiye barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2013 12:34 AM »

maybe as part of the competition they got to examine your relationships with family members and how well your tajweed is etc=Z
Doesn't all this add up to the concept of beauty?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: