// Pouring millions of dollars of alcohol down the Nile!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Ikhlaas is to forget the vision of creation by constantly looking at the Creator. - Abu Uthman
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pouring millions of dollars of alcohol down the Nile!  (Read 1682 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 26, 2008 08:01 PM »

This seems to be written by a Muslim but it's relatively biased. If the owner wants to stop selling alcohol he should be able to do whatever he wants. There's tons of other places people can drink it sheesh.  And it's definitely not the same as "halal food" which is a religious requirement, alcohol is not. -- J.

=============================================

Sheikh bans alcohol at Cairo hotel
By Magdi Abdelhadi
BBC News, Cairo

A decision by the Saudi owner of the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Cairo to ban the sale of alcohol and destroy millions of dollars worth of beverages has sparked a debate in Egypt.

The international company which runs the hotel has urged Sheikh Abdulaziz al-Brahim - a relative of the Saudi king - to revoke his decision, fearing it could drive away Western tourists and may even lead to the hotel losing its five-star rating.

The Grand Hyatt occupies one of the most expensive sites overlooking the River Nile. It is only minutes from the diplomatic quarter, where the British and American embassies are located.

Like all five-star hotels in Egypt, alcohol used to be available there - but not any more. It is unclear what prompted the owner Sheik Al Brahim to take this controversial measure.

Staff at the hotel are reluctant to talk about the whole affair. But a barman told me that they now only serve soft drinks and that he saw with his own eyes how expensive whiskey, liqueurs and fine wines were emptied down the drains of the hotel.

He said it took his colleagues a whole day to go through the hotel's entire stock of alcoholic drinks. Does he feel sorry for that, I asked? He chuckled.

Financial muscle

The move has sparked fears that other hotels may follow suit, which could hit the tourism industry, one of the pillars of the Egyptian economy.

Egyptian columnist Suleiman Gouda wrote that if the owner wanted to invest in the international tourism industry, then he had to play by the well-known rules of the business.

Alternatively, he wrote, quoting an unnamed Arab head of state, he should sell his hotels to those who are prepared to do so.

Supporters of the decision say Egypt is a Muslim country and foreign visitors should respect local custom.

But critics say just as Muslims expect to be served Halal food on international flights, they should be prepared to respect the desires of their Western guests.

And Egyptian liberals see the incident as a clear example of how Saudi Arabia uses its financial muscle to spread its own puritanical brand of Islam to other countries.

Egyptian author Ezzat Al Qamhawy wrote that the incident was only an example of what Saudi investment in Egypt can do.

"It can strangulate the Egyptian tourism industry... by imposing Islam on tourists who are not Muslims, and compulsory drunkenness on the Muslim fish of the River Nile,
" he wrote, referring to reports that the stock was emptied in the river when the owner ordered staff to get rid of it.

The question of alcohol is a sensitive one in this predominantly conservative Muslim society.

The vast majority of Egyptians do not drink, and their government cannot be seen to pressure the owner of the Grand Hyatt for fear of giving the Islamist opposition ammunition to attack it for being un-Islamic.

Yet at the same time it is wary of anything that can hurt tourism, which brings hundreds of millions of dollars every year.

Story from BBC NEWS:
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008 01:07 AM »

salam

No actually I dont expect halal food on international flights, I expect a vegetarian alternative. But then so would a lot of vegetarians.

Alcohol is not a necessity, and local relgion and the way of life should be respected by the tourists. I cant see any tourists not going because alcohol isnt served in oen hotel.

Saudi has a total ban on alcohol but you'll find million of expats working there no less.....

It's about time muslim countries stopped pandering to westerners. They dont bend over for muslims, even ones who are born and bred in the west, I still get abuse for wearing a headscarf for goodness sakes, and thats hardly dissing the local customs and religion in england!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008 06:49 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Someone mentioned this article to me yesterday and made the point that we as Muslims have to support these businesses who make an effort to adhere to Islam.

So if anyone is in Cairo soon, make sure you book into the Grand Hyatt!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008 06:58 AM »

So if anyone is in Cairo soon, make sure you book into the Grand Hyatt!!

lol

Ummm their cheapest, cheapest room is USD $325 a night up to $515/night and they have a revolving 5 star glass restaurant on the 41st floor. I'll be sure to check in next time I'm in town (when I'm a triple-billionaire) Wink

but gotta give 'em props for putting this on their front page:

No alcoholic beverages are served or available for purchased in hotel rooms, restaurants, lounges or conference and banquet facilities.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008 07:25 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Okay I had no idea how expensive it was!!! Even worse than Dubai!!

It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain those prices if they stop serving alcohol.

Out of interest, Egypt Air is still one of those airlines that doesn't serve alcohol on board its flights.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008 08:07 AM »

peace be upon you

If I had the money, I would stay there!!!

Seriously, one of the things I hate, is having to doubt the food and stuff in a restaurant or hotel in a Muslim majority country.  My friends were at a fancy hotel in just such a country, and they almost ate some halal-looking stuff, luckily one of them had the sense to ask the waiter if everything on the buffet was halaal...turns out several were prepared with alcohol!  My question was, why didnt the waiter, seeing women in hijaab, not warn them before hand?

My friend said she felt like such an idiot having to ask a Muslim if the food was halaal.  I think she did the right thing, and alhamdulillah, she didnt have to eat anything haraam.

Bro Khalid: Whats the name of the halaal hotel in Dubai?  And how expensive is it?

I think that it is a good step for a reputable hotel like the Hyatt to turn all halaal.  Hopefully lots will follow suite.  If you wanna drink, then don't come to a Muslim country!  I think that would be a great slogan!

I get sad at thinking how much of the revenue of our very wealthy Arab nations is made on Haraam stuff.  You know, wallahi, I believe that they would make just as much if not more (with the added blessings) if they just left out all the haraam stuff, like alcohol.  Thye have so many attractions, people would visit theour countries despite there not being alcohol/pork.  May Allah swt guide us

Take care, see you all at the Grand Hyatt!! Wink
Salam
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008 10:17 AM »

salam

You know that is soo true, there is barakah in following the halal.

There's a restaurant here, and it absolutely and utterly does not allow alcohol in any shape or form and the meat is zabiha, I love it being the one place I can eat out without worrying.

You should see the barakah in this place, its always utterly packed out, the food is fabulous and the clientele range from muslims to non muslims and nobody has made a peep about the no alcohol rule. Lots of restaraunts have tried to copy them too.....

I'd stay at the grand hyatt in a heartbeat, when I'm rich inshallah I'll take my girls there, actually I'll look around we could prolly get very good off peak deals there, its possible I think.

Thoroguhly agree support our brothers and sisters who are trying to live islamically.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008 06:27 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Whats the name of the halaal hotel in Dubai?  And how expensive is it?

This is the thread we had earlier on this topic:

http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=598.0

This one is near the beach at the marina but there is also a 5 star Coral hotel in the centre of town near to all the souqs and the old Dubai.

http://www.coral-international.com/deira/Index.aspx?ID=0&MID=97

There may be more dotted around but probably not as well known.

Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2012 04:11 PM »

This is an ancient thread but...

In  Sudan when the Nimeiri "Islamic regime" came back in the 70s they made a big to-do about closing bars and pouring the alcoholic drinks away. There's a really funny song from the time called "Al samak sikir"! (the fish got drunk)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: