// Rachel Ray's Scarf Prompts Pulling Of Doughnut Ad
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Responsibility: The Prophet said: 'Each one of you is a guardian and is responsible for what he is entrusted with.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rachel Ray's Scarf Prompts Pulling Of Doughnut Ad  (Read 3414 times)
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« on: May 29, 2008 01:23 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
This is crazy .  I just got my black and white hijab in mail...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A scarf worn by foodie Rachel Ray in a photograph to be used for a Dunkin' Donuts ad is at the center of a controversy Wednesday.

The Boston Globe reported that the Canton-based company pulled an ad in which Ray's scarf looks much like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men.

Ultra-conservative Fox News commentator Michelle Malkin on Tuesday was so incensed by the ad that there was even mention of a Dunkin' Donuts boycott, the paper reported.

The company paid little attention to the hoopla on Tuesday, but, as Boston.com said, "the right-wing drumbeat on the blogosphere continued" and the company opted to pull the ad Wednesday.

A statement issued by Dunkin' Donuts officials read:

"In a recent online ad, Rachael Ray is wearing a black-and-white silk scarf with a paisley design. It was selected by her stylist for the advertising shoot. Absolutely no symbolism was intended. However, given the possibility of misperception, we are no longer using the commercial."

In her response to the action, according to the published report, Malkin said, "It's refreshing to see an American company show sensitivity to the concerns of Americans opposed to Islamic jihad and its apologists."

http://www.nbc5.com/politics/16416210/detail.html
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008 03:20 PM »

salam

I love how everytime something construed as involving Islam in a positive light, the media is accused of sympathising with islam and overlooking other sensitivities.
IME, it has always been the other way round, can you imagine if it were muslims who had objected, we'd be branded as, frothing at the mouth, ignorant extremists threatening the western way of life, and the sale for dunkin donuts would be up by a 1000%.

Go buy dunking donuts I say and write in on their website complementing the advert....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008 06:37 PM »

why should we compliment them?  They took out the ad

salaam
cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008 08:32 PM »

To anyone who is about to say this is un-American.
This is as America as can be. Now it is the Neocons targeting us, before us it was McCarthyism calling everyone and everything communist and communism.
Before that other people were targeted for other reasons all the way to the Salem witch trails.
This is the meaning of America. This is what they mean by Mom and Apple pie.
This is Freedom and Democracy.
I think it is time for America to be disbanded. The minority majority states should be given back to Mexico, Alaska to Russia, Hawaii should regain its independence, Blacks and Natives should have their own home land carved out, and some of the more liberal states in the north should have the option of joining Canada. The rest of the country should become independence states and should have a fixed constitutions which states they will never be unified in to a single country as exists with Germany and Austria.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008 09:48 PM »

This is very American actually. Someone puts something out there. Enough people (zionists) protest about it, it gets taken down. Unfortunately in this case it's actually fulfilling stereotypes and reinforcing Islamophobia. To make the kefiyya a symbol of terrorism is complete propoganda. That's what they want to do, associate everything Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims with terrorism so people don't understand what's going on. Did you know most Americans think that it is the Palestinians that are oppressing the Israelis.!!! Amazing how certain people can rewrite history.

Anyway cheese: your post is really amusing. What world are you living in? For real. You sound completely idealistic and ridiculous actually. Any actual points you may be making are lost in that. Try making points using objective facts. It works better.

ws

Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 22
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008 04:35 PM »

The Young Turks propose a boycott of Dunkin` Donuts because they pulled the ad lol

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2008 01:59 PM »

the funniest thing i've read in a long time... was a comment made on a "marketwatch" article about this whole thing:

"This is just the tip of the Dunkin Donuts scandal. I remember seeing pictures of the 9/11 hi-jackers and most of them were wearing slacks and short sleeve dress shirts. Obviously I will no longer patronize Dunkin, but not because of the scarf. Check out their managers. More than a few are wearing the terrorist uniform of the short sleeved shirt and slacks. The rot goes deep. It has even spread wider than that. I'm having to change barbers because I caught my barber wearing this terrorist outfit. Constant vigilance is the price of freedom. Remember 9/11. "

wasalaam.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2008 05:55 AM »

lol funny justone.

maan ppl are sooooooooooo ignorant. there's definitely an agenda pushing everything that has anything to do with islam, muslims, arabs to be painted with the bright red brush of terrorism/evil. ugh.

alhamdulillah there's some normal ppl out there i just was on a list where some americans were asking where to buy them cuz they want to buy them and wear them when they go to dunkin donuts haha.

Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2008 12:21 PM »

As I understand it the scarf in question was actually a paisley patterned silk scarf with fringe; so I guess that's what we should be wearing and those are easy to find (but I don't like paisley).

If anything since Dunkin' Donuts has a fairly sizeble presence in the overseas (Middle East) market the financial impact of the ad pulling will most likely be felt there. 

What I find interesting is that it's more the non-Muslim community that is calling for boycotting Dunkin' Donuts or wearing keffiyahs whenever patronizing a shop.  Go figure.    I love my orange coolattas but don't get them often because it's too pricey for me to do on a regular basis so I won't miss them that much. 

Fa'izah
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2008 09:48 AM »

I deactivated my facebook, but this is apparently from a group on there: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=20090243695

A peaceful, visual protest against the clear racism displayed by a certain right-wing blogger, and her pals, after their ridiculous demand that Dunkin' Donuts pull an online ad featuring Rachael Ray wearing a distinctive black/white scarf, which apparently looked too much like the Palestinian kaffiyeh. According to said blogger, the kaffiyeh is the “traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad.”

Our response: what a load of xenophobic tosh!

More details about the incident here.

Instructions for the protest...
Simple: on Friday June 6th

1) Wear a kaffiyeh! Preferably whilst standing outside your local Dunkin' Donuts. Wink
2) Change your profile pic to one of the images listed at the top of this description.
3) Change your status message to: is wearing their kaffiyeh with pride! http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=20090243695
4) Take a photo/video of yourself wearing your kaffiyeh (with pride) and post it on the event page.
5) If you own a blog or website, please write about the event & either link to this page or to the following: http://imuslim.wordpress.com/2008/06/01/wear-your-kaffiyeh-with-pride-day/

Invite everyone to join in: Arab, and non-Arab. The more the merrier! A variety of participants will serve to highlight that the kaffiyeh is simply a piece of cloth, and not a symbol of murder and oppression, God forbid.
Siham
Sis

Ahla Haya

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2008 05:21 PM »

(Well, is Ricky a terrorist now Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy)

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2008 12:59 AM »

salaam

how kewl Siham, where did u get this pic from?
Siham
Sis

Ahla Haya

« Reply #12 on: Jun 04, 2008 03:38 PM »

Yea a friend of mine forwarded it to me ...

Anonymous
Bro

Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2008 01:06 AM »

http://www.newsweek.com/id/139334

COMMENTARY
Not So Sweet

Why Dunkin' Donuts shouldn't have caved in the controversy over Rachael Ray's 'kaffiyeh' scarf.
By Lorraine Ali | Newsweek Web Exclusive

Dunkin' Donuts and Mideast politics go together like … Well, they don't, and that seems to be the problem of late. First, the doughnut franchise served as a hideout for Lebanese Army troops and a CNN correspondent when violence erupted in Beirut last month. Then this week the company found itself smack dab in the center of more political tumult. A recent ad by the doughnut giant was deemed dangerous by a handful of conservative bloggers because of its potential ties to the Arab world. The bloggers went on the attack when they saw spokesgal Rachael Ray wearing what they felt was a kaffiyeh, or Arab headdress, as a neck scarf. It was in fact a black and white paisley scarf, not traditional Arab garb, but that didn't matter when blogger Pam Geller posted the following under the header "Rachel [sic] Ray: Dunkin Donuts Jihad Tool": "Have you seen Rachel [sic] Ray wearing the icon of Yasser Arafatbastard and the bloody Islamic jihad. This is part of the cultural jihad," wrote Geller.

Despite the fact that the kaffiyeh is worn by millions, including Middle Eastern men, arty college students, tourists, Kanye West and even U.S. troops, who use it to keep the sand and dust at bay, the bloggers jumped on the case, exposing what they saw as the latest Mideast threat to freedom and democracy—this time in the insidious form of an iced-coffee ad. Dunkin' Donuts panicked and pulled the image from its own Web site and other commercial sites. In a written statement senior vice president of communications for Dunkin' Donuts brands, Margie Myers, said, "Absolutely no symbolism was intended. However, as of this past weekend, we are no longer using the online ad because the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee."

Shouldn't we be more offended that Ray was shilling their weak iced coffee, a beverage that should be criticized for impersonating, well, iced coffee. But cries of "Bad java!" just don't seem to catch the attention the way racist rhetoric against Arabs and Muslims does. This ad was pulled because anti-Arab bloggers saw it as promoting a culture they love to hate, and they used the terrorism card to push their agenda through. The amazing part is that Dunkin' Donuts caved. They should be ashamed, and not just because Krispy Kreme offers a superior glazed cruller but because they validated the warped idea that the mere existence of a race—and anything worn by its people—can be controversial. It's doubtful the ad would have been pulled if a handful of critics found Ray's garb too Hispanic or too African-American. The groups themselves would have been dismissed as bigoted or insane. Anti-racism organizations such as ANSWER have called for a "worldwide boycott of Dunkin' Donuts." According to ANSWER's spokesperson, Ben Becker, more than 7,300 letters have been sent to Dunkin' Donuts since they called for a boycott yesterday.

Let's face it, the real danger here is not the girly scarf charged with being a kaffiyeh, or that jihadists are purportedly using Dunkin' Donuts as a backdoor into America's malleable consciousness. It's that the cries of a few commentators indulging in the worst form of racial stereotyping—and their demonization of an entire culture—was enough to spook a giant corporation. As for dangers lurking beyond the kaffiyeh controversy? Beware of Dunkin's Blueberry Cake Donut. At 290 calories with 16 grams of fat, it's more deadly than a paisley scarf in spring.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2008 01:37 AM »

salaam

so I love newsweek.. im not sure why people say media is always bias.. because I really dt think newsweek is and there are always articles from newsweek on msn home.
yah so since im already out of subject I have to say im a fan of nightline w terry meran and martin bashir.. its on ABC i dont c much bias there also.. plus ABC did help those palestinian children get out of the jail even tho they were criticized and they are also major new source..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: