Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italy: Polygamous Muslim marriages 'on the rise'  (Read 2515 times)
nuh
« on: Apr 02, 2008 08:49 PM »

Rome, 2 April 2008

(AKI) - Polygamous marriages are illegal in Italy yet are reportedly on the rise. While few Muslim immigrants or Italian converts to Islam admit such unions, Muslim scholars put the number nationwide at 15,000-20,000, La Repubblica daily reports.

"There is no doubt that the phenomenon exists, and that the number of polygamous unions growing as the number of Muslim immigrants to Italy increases," the paper said, adding that there are also cases of polygamous Italian converts to Islam.

No official statistics have been gathered on polygamous marriages in Italy, and estimates vary wildly from hundreds to tens of thousands, according to the paper.

The Catholic charity Caritas estimates there are just over 1.2 million Muslim immigrants in Italy, approximately one-third of a total of over 3.6 million immigrants.

The Italian state does not issue family welfare cheques to more than one wife per husband, unlike in Britain, where the government has since February been issuing family welfare cheques to all of a polygamist's wives resident in the country.

(more)

http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Religion/?id=1.0.2032301125
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008 11:24 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

What this demonstrates, I believe, is that no man made law can prohibit what is otherwise permissible.  Polygamy is better than adultery since there is the concept of responsibility.  What I object to as mentioned in this article is that there are men with multiple wives who are relying on government assistance to provide for their wives.  That is just a no-no in my book.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2008 08:46 AM »

salam

Wonder what the figures are for non-muslim Italian males with children by more than one partner... Or more pertinently fidelity rates amongst non-muslim males. Bet there isnt much of a comparison.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2008 11:05 PM »

salam

Wonder what the figures are for non-muslim Italian males with children by more than one partner... Or more pertinently fidelity rates amongst non-muslim males. Bet there isnt much of a comparison.

Wassalaam
salam

Wassalaam
As salaamu alaikum

I'd fathom to guess that the figures would be staggering, mind bloggling and shocking.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008 04:46 PM »

"unlike in Britain, where the government has since February been issuing family welfare cheques to all of a polygamist's wives resident in the country."

Is that true?
Better find the next three!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: