Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 25, 2014 12:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single muslim man is in want of a muslim wife.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pregancy & Hajj  (Read 4050 times)
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« on: Jun 18, 2008 08:32 PM »

Assalamu'alaikum,

Was anyone pregnant and went to hajj? How was your experience?

Can anyone shed any light on any side effects of taking the meningitis vaccination while one is pregnant?

Jazakumullahu khair
Wassalamu'alaikum
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2008 11:38 PM »

Asalaamu alaikum,

If I remember correctly I believe Danielle was a couple months pregnant when she went for Hajj. She probably knows best about it.
Ehsan
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Ehsan has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2008 01:09 AM »

Assalamualaikum,

There is no reason why a pregnant woman should not perform Hajj. A pregnant woman is pure; she has to pray and fast.

It is narrated in the Sunnah that Asma’ bint `Umays (may Allah be pleased with her) went out for Hajj with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) when she was pregnant, and she gave birth at the miqat (the place where pilgrims put on the clothes of ihram). It was narrated that `A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said: “Asma’ bint `Umays – the wife of Abu Bakr – gave birth to Muhammad at the Shajarah (referring to the place of miqat) and the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told Abu Bakr to tell her to do ghusl (purifiactory bath) and enter ihram.” (Muslim)

If a woman has not yet done the obligatory Hajj, then pregnancy is not an excuse for her not to do Hajj, because she can avoid the places where there is too much crowding and pushing and shoving. If she is unable to throw the pebbles herself, she can delegate someone to do so on her behalf. If she cannot do Tawaf (circumambulation of Ka`bah) and Sa`i (walking between the hills), then she can do so in a wheelchair, and so on.

However, if trustworthy doctors tell a pregnant woman that going for Hajj will pose a risk to her or her baby because she is sick or weak or for some other reason, then she should be prevented from offering Hajj that year. This is indicated by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), “There should be no harming nor reciprocating harm.” (Ibn Majah)

Some doctors differentiate between early pregnancy, when there may be a risk to the fetus, and late pregnancy when such fears are groundless. (cited from sheikh munajjid )

And Allah knows best

INFORMING YOU ABOUT ISLAM

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2008 01:18 PM »

salam

Get a complete check with the doctor and if she/he says your fit and healthy you should be fine, I'm sure if the meningitis vaccine is not a good idea for pregnant women they'll tell you and refuse to give it you.

It depends on the woman really and her pregnancy, I was fine from the second trimester onwards in my first pregnancy and right the way thro in my second pregnancy alhumdulillah, so it is very dependant on the woman and her pregnancy, if youre feeling fine and have a clean bill of health, I'd grab the oppurtunity.
If however you tend to suffer from swelling of the hand and legs and suffer morning sickness, I'd avoid it, you wont be able to do much and will be very uncomfortable in a strange place where medicines are different to what you are used to/allowed, does that make sense? My sister would never have been able to perfom hajj during either of her pregnancies she suffered pretty badly during both hers.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2008 05:02 PM »

Salaams

last year i was planning on going for Hajj and thought i might be pregnant when getting the meningitis vaccine i mentioned this to the doctor she explained pro's and cons.. as far as i remember the risk (for me anyway) was very small and she gave me the vaccine. but deff get checked by ur doctor and they will advise based on your circumstances

Baji
Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2008 02:56 PM »

Wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullah,

Jazakumullahu khair for your responses. They were beneficial, mashaAllah. InshaAllah, I would be consulting my doc, but I would like to do some homework before meeting her. 

I tried to do some "research" in the internet, but there isn't much info except that there wasn't much research to begin with and researches with pregnant women and the vaccine did not draw anything conclusive.

I'm just wondering for those who were pregnant and did take the vaccine, if they noticed anything different with their children that was not just a "physical side-effect".

Baji: What did the doctor advise you?
Umm Ibby: InshaAllah will speak to Danielle Smiley

Shukran
Wassalamu'alaikum

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2008 08:16 PM »

depends on how far along you are...

salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2008 07:35 PM »

I agree with sis JustOne, it depends how many months pregnant you are.  I just recently did Hajj (2007) and doing tawaf was a very difficult experience at times.  I don't know how the elderly, nor the lil kids managed it.  Seriously it can get ugly.  People will shove you, barge in to you, and I know of a brother who claims he was physically attacked whilst doing tawaf.  However, if you do tawaf on the upper levels, rather than on the ground, you will have a calmer time insha'Allaah.  Personally, if I was more than 3 months pregnant I would not do it, for fear of losing the baby.  Even when going between As-Safa and Ar-Marwa, it is hard.  A few times my hubby put his arms around me and we had to just stand still trying not to lose our balance, whilst people jostled around us.  I did optional tawafs during different times of the days, and even when you think hardly anyone will be there, I was amazed that it was nearly always busy.  Sometimes if you stay at the edge/outskirts of the crowd, you're fine, but not always, as this depends how busy it is.

Plus, it also does depend on whether your feet become swollen.  There is a lot of walking involved at times, for instance, when going from Mina to the Jamarats, walking to ^Arafat, because most traffic can't get through (it pretty much comes to a standstill), and so on.  Alhumdulilah I realised I was a lot fitter than I'd thought, but this may be a problem if you're heavily pregnant and need to rest, etc.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Take care.

Wasalaam

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2008 06:32 AM »

wsalaam,

I believe my sister-in-law was expecting when she went to hajj, and interestingly her mother also went to hajj when she was expecting her! I'm not sure how many months she was, but I heard recently that it's not recommended to travel the first or last trimester but Allahu alam. Best thing is to check it out with your doctor and see what she says iA.

ws

ps if u go make dua for us!! Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: