// shaving heads of babies
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: What is this precious love and laughter Budding in our hearts? It is the glorious sound Of a soul waking up! -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shaving heads of babies  (Read 2546 times)
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« on: Jun 22, 2008 04:11 PM »

salaam yall,

Okay, I know there's hadith on shaving a newborns head..but can trimming be done?
It just seems like too much to shave..so barbaric:)

peace and love!
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2008 05:06 PM »

salaam
 My understanding is if it is a girl there are differences of opinion.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2008 07:03 PM »

salam

In my personal opinion, I think its a good thing.
My girls ended up with really pretty shiny hair after it was shaved. Altho both girls were born with lots of hair to begin with, the hair that regrew was much nicer quality if you see what I mean, softer, and my youngest lost the weird patchy look she was sporting at birth. Also my eldest had awful cradle cap which disappeard when shaved.

It doesn't hurt and hair grows, so I dont see why it would possibly be considered barbaric, and both my girls had their heads shaved by skilled barbers....wielding cutthroats!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2008 07:04 PM »

salam

One more thing, both my girls slept thro the entire rpocess, except eldest woke up half way thro and I had to nurse her for a while...she fell asleep again and the barber finished shaving her head.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2008 09:55 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Honorable sister, I hope you hear these words and follow the best of them:

It is Sunnah to have aqeeqah for a newborn baby on the 7th day after birth.  If it is not possible on the 7th, then the 14th, if not, then the 21st, and so on.  Aqeeqah is a way of ransoming the baby and asking Allah to save him/her from the Hell fire.  It is a Sunnah and thus it is not required.

This involves slaughtering 2 sheep for a boy, or 1 sheep for a girl.  The scholars also say that it is Sunnah to shave the baby's hair and donate its weight in gold or silver in charity. 

The Sunnah of Aqeeqah also involves naming the baby, if that was not done at birth.   Naming at birth or on the day of Aqeeqah are both Sunnah and acceptable.

However, the Ulema would take exception to saying that the shaving that is done on the Aqeeqah is barbaric.  How could someone claim that something the Prophet, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him, did be barbaric?   Men shaving their beards is not barbaric, but shaving a baby's hair is?

Rather, those who go against his Sunnah and follow their own logic and reasoning are the ones who go away from true guidance.  If one follows this line of reason, they may one day say that making sajdah on the ground is barbaric and we should pray sitting on chairs!  May Allah guide us to follow the Sunnah.

On a final note, some of the Ulema of the Hanbali school hold that the prohibition of females shaving their heads applies to a newborn baby girl as well.

And Allah knows better.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2008 02:23 AM »

Asalamualaikum

Yes trimming can be done. If you dont want to do anything, not even trimming you dont have to. It is sunnah, you will be rewarded but it is not required.

hmm Yes I agree with the others.. its really not barbaric. it shouldnt even hurt if one is careful.  Plus if you repeat it 2 more times its likely the hair will grow back thicker, but there is a good chance the color will change.

If you do decide to shave the hair, make sure you trim it first.
lala marcy
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2008 06:10 PM »

salaam,

Thanks or your replies.

You people take everything I say literally. sheesh. Barbarism...now, do you really think I meant that? Smiley

My dear father doesn't want to shave his to-be-born, grandchild's hair. He said that when we were born, they just trimmed our hair at our aqiqahs etc. I was just curious and wanted to gauge everyones knowledge on this matter.  The decision is not his anyway, it's my bro in law and sisters'.

Next time, grow a little sense of humor why don't ya? Smiley  Lips Sealed
Oh and some people do pray sitting on chairs. I had to when I had my knee surgery! Any mention of that in the Sunnah? I'm seriously asking...

Again, Jazakallah...

peace

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2008 07:29 PM »

salam

Must admit I was rather bemused by your post, didnt seem like you.

Just the word barbaric in relation to Islam did not sit right with me, I always have sense of humour failures in such context.

Very glad you don't consider it to be barbaric. I do think shaving the hair gives children nicer quality hair, and my youngest had jet black hair when born, after shaving it a few times, it's now a reddish brown shot thro with very light brown bits, looks beautiful...does have drawbacks, people keep asking me if I'm dying it that colour...cos yes riiiight I am really going to dye a three year olds hair, and she's so going to sit still long enough for me to then expertly apply streaks. Roll Eyes

Wassalaam

lala marcy
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2008 08:57 PM »

salaam,,

Ahh Fozia, I'm a contradiction..so I will always surprise you:) just kidding.

Your childrens' hairs' sound lovely. The hues alone. I was reading this book " dreams of tresspass" about moroccan harems and they mentioned that one little boy wanted his mom to dye his hair with henna... So perhaps some people do that to kids!!! Yikes.

Anyways.
peace
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2008 05:39 AM »

salams,

barbaric could mean a lot of things? so i don't really know what is meant here but if someone doesn't want to do it or finds it culturally weird etc etc... it is a sunnah and not required so no one has to  Huh? another weird thing is when people (i'm going to say usually desis) cut their little girls hair short like a boys until they're like 6... i mean like why??? i never understood that. over there i think they sometimes do it for lice or something but over here???

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2008 11:57 AM »

salam

I think desi's cut their childrens hair for all sorts. In the hopes it will grow back thicker, because they cannot be bothered with long hair in little children ie little girls have very low tolerance for the pain caused by detangling hair, because according to ex it makes children less bad tempered (huh?Huh?).

My girls have long hair, the last time my dad cut short my youngests hair she spent ages telling everyone nana stole her hair!!!

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: