Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pain at the (gas) pump and beyond  (Read 2591 times)
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« on: Jun 26, 2008 11:52 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

I know that most of us have felt the pain whenever filling the gas tank and it doesn't seem that any relief is on the horizon.  Have you also noticed that the higher gas prices have had an impact on the cost of necessities?  I mean groceries cost more; clothing and shoes cost more too.  Just yesterday I just wanted to cry; $32 for gas and another $195 in the grocery store (still looking for the rest of the bags that I must have left behind for that price).  And more often than not I'll have to go back to the market next week. 

What get's me is that you never get an actual gallon of gas (discovered that buying a gallon of gas for my lawn mower; pre-paid to avoid a spillage - yes it's happened to me - yet I got just under a gallon when the pump shut-off.)

I've had to reevaluate how often I drive and where.  No more going somewhere just for the sake of getting out of the house or off the block.  No more driving way out to catch a sale on something I really need or want.  Instead I pick up items during my lunch break at work; this also avoids taking my son with me since in every store we go into he manages to find something that he just simply must have.  And on-line shopping has also become more routine for me since I don't have to drive to the store.  And I've come to realize that I really need to start making use of coupons again no matter how annoying it is sometimes but in order to make my single paycheck go further and still make sure that we have what we need .  Still I I'm fortunate that a tank of gas still lasts me just about two weeks; it could be worse I could be filling up every week like others I know.

So what other savings tips do others have?  I think it would be a good idea to share ideas so we can all feel a little less pain at the pump and beyond until this mess blows over.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2008 02:04 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I agree with you Sr.Faizah - everything has become expensive. It looks like that groceries have become almost doulbe in price!
You are lucky that you have to fill up gas only once every two weeks, I have to do it every week Sad . I guess there is nothing we can do about it beside eating less Smiley and driving less Smiley. Me and my husband have swaped cars since I drive way more than him and his car uses less gas then mine.Although we both work in the same area(the buildings are across from each other Smiley ), I have to take kids for karate,Quran class everyday, library and ofcourse groceries .
I hope the prices come down soon in our life time Smiley
Best of luck
Wasalam
tq
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2008 06:08 PM »

Ya Allah-
My husband uses a lot of gas to go to work- 45 minutes away. Our cost of gas per onth is more than half of our rent now!
This past week we did not even have enough money to buy groceries. So instead of dipping into our son's savings for college- which we had to do last week, we decided to use up all the food in the house. Stuff that sits in the cupboards/ freezors that are perfectly good and we just haven't gotten around to cooking it.
It is a good savings idea.

Side note... been noticing a lot of Muslims calling the masjid for help lately. So sad... I am sure it is a direct correlation to the gas prices.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2008 09:36 PM »

Side note... been noticing a lot of Muslims calling the masjid for help lately. So sad... I am sure it is a direct correlation to the gas prices.

You may well be correct.  A few weeks ago there was a news story talking about the increased numbers of people availing themselves of food pantries and how many of them were middle class whereas before it seems that most were those on fixed incomes.  According to one that was interviewed she said that the biggest factor was the increase in gas prices which of course cut into the grocery budget.  Again it seems that the middle class is taking the brunt of the pain.  Yes I do think food prices have doubled if not tripled for some items.  I made the mistake of not realizing that there was enough bread in the house last Sunday morning and my son wanted french toast.  So rather than jump in the car to go to the supermarket (yes there was a time when I would do that but of course come back with more than just the item I needed) I opted to use the local corner store.  Well  was shocked to discover that the loaf of bread cost me $3.99  - can we say I was feeling more like  Shocked or even  Huh? or  :'(  .   I started reflecting on how my great-grandmother used to say she hoped she never saw the day when bread was more than a dollar a loaf; boy those were the good old days (oh my did I say that?)

On a related topic there was another news story earlier this week on the amount of food that is wasted - particularly in the US - not just in family homes but also in restaurants and supermarkets.  In fact it seems that so much food is wasted in the US that it would fill a football stadium.  That is just shameful.

With all the stories popping up about the impact that the declining economy and the increased gas prices and the related effects it is hard to believe that some politicians still think that there isn't a crisis brewing (or rather at hand).  Sure it's nowhere near as bad as it was during the Great Depression and people survived through that but it's certainly no "walk in the park" either.  And those stimulus checks that were issued didn't even make a dent.

Fa'izah
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2008 11:58 PM »

I know the way things are with the gas and such my sewing business has gone way down.
I kind of suspected this and stocked up as best I could.
The gas and supply prices will be such that I fear by summers end I'll have to
stop the business.
Ideas? Start gardens, check into 'community gardens' or start one in your town.
Can and freeze, share extras and see if others have extras.
Even an apartment dweller can plant in containers on the patio's.
I am looking into buying a scooter and for those who haven't real long drives on a major freeway, they may be a blessing. I hear they get 80 to 100 MPG.
Have to go, time is up, will post more later. purplehijabisis
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2008 04:52 AM »

Community gardens, canning and freezing used to be the way to go. It is no longer a way to save money.

If you already have the supplies- then you can save money.

In my neck of the woods a community garden is ~$50, then you have to rent a garden tiller ~$50, buy the seeds, fertilizer & tomato stands, and gas to drive there. fencing to keep critters out.

When it was time to can - the glass jars alone are more than $1 apiece. Let's not forget the cooker and electricity / gas. Bottom line- just for the cost of the jar alone- I can still get tomatoes cheaper at the store. I can get a can of tomatoes at a discount food store, Aldi's, for only 55 cents.

Sure- fresh is better- but when your struggling- you gotta eat the crap.

Side note... lool... I tried tomatoes and strawberries off my porch... birds got to them before we ever did!

Subhanna Allah... I am not complaining and am grateful we have good nutritious food to eat.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Faizah
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2008 11:33 PM »

Although I have yard space and could reasonably plant a small garden (and have always wanted to) I lack the time and energy to do it.  It's a struggle for me to even mow the lawn let alone tend to a garden. I tried to convince my kids to take on the challenge but someone the idea of becoming "farmer janes and farmer joe" didn't quite appeal to them so there went that idea. 

So at best I try to catch the local farmers' market stands and freeze some of the veggies I buy.  Since the rule is" fresh then frozen then canned so I figure I'm taken fresh to frozen and at least I know what actually went into the bag and when it was frozen.

My dad and step-mother used to have a small greenhouse which I thought was cool; fresh veggies and herbs even in the middle of winter.  Sadly for me to set one up in my back yard would mean donning winter coat and boots to get to it and that's so not going to happy; "snowand cold bunny" I am not; need to move from the great northheast.

Fa'izah
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2008 07:14 PM »

Saw this and thought of this thread Wink

nuh
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2008 08:20 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

- nuh
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2008 07:01 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

As a bit of perspective, over here, petrol prices are actually subsidized and there hasn’t been an increase in the price for nearly 3 years. No wonder the Middle East is the SUV capital of the world!!!

What is really worrying, however, is the rise of food prices and particular staples such as rice and wheat used for bread.

There are a lot of people in the UAE who earn just over $5 a day and a 50% increase in the rise in the price of a roti or chappati really hits these guys hard.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080508/REVIEW/653442912

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: