// how to quit a bad habit
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Come work for Islam. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low.But the retirement benefits are out of this world." -Anonymous
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to quit a bad habit  (Read 2034 times)
Anonymous
« on: Jul 01, 2008 01:44 PM »

i have the worst of addictions. i check other people's email.
i don't crack into their inboxes. over the years many people (5 or 6 people) have given me their passwords for various reasons such as writing emergency emails to their bosses or changing their passwords when they thought they'd been hacked. most of these people are family members or close friends. i want to send them all anonymous emails and tell them to change their passwords, but then they may knoe its me.
none of these people have anything to hide in terms of their email. since i've been checking (in some cases for years now), i realize they live mashallah very boring lives. the sad part is that i have developed a habit to change my password every month, because any one could be checking mine and i would truly hate that.  i really want to stop and i wish i had the will power to stop.  when i'm busy with my own stuff i don't check their email, but since the summer has started the frequency is increasing and i hate it.  can anyone help?
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2008 07:07 PM »

hmm u wouldn't like it if other people did it to you yet you're doing it to others  Huh? send out one of those forwards on the dangers of keeping one password too long or just say you think someone might have hacked into your account so you're worried about your friends and then ask them to change their password asap.
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2008 04:40 AM »

A cut and paste- will this help you?

The Jas?s (Spy)

Allah (SWT)says: And spy not, neither backbite one another (The Quran 49:12)

Imam Al-Nawawi (rh) said: Some of the scholars said that tahassus with letter HA, ‘snooping’ means listening to other people’s conversations, and tajassus with letter JEEM, ‘spying’ means seeking out other people’s faults. it was also suggested that tajassus means looking for secrets. The word is mostly used in the sense of evil. The Jas?s ‘spy’ is the one who seeks out secrets for evil purposes and the n?m?s is the one who seeks out secrets for good purposes. And it was suggested that tajassus refers to looking for information for someone else, and tahassus means looking for information for oneself. This was the view of Tha’lab. And it was said that they mean one and the same, which is seeking out information about people’s state of affairs.

Kinds of Spying

Despised spying may be divided into two categories:

1. Spying that makes one sinful
2. Spying that expels one from the fold of Islam

Spying that Makes One Sinful

Spying can be a sin if a person seeks the faults of his Muslim brother for the sake of exposing him in front of other people. It may even be unveiling the secrets of a Muslim brother in front of others. Spying leads to backbiting and backbiting is Haram. Therefore, Allah has closed every door that leads to the evil of backbiting and has made spying Haram. This form of spying is condemned in various Hadith of Prophet (SAW).

Abu Huraira (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW)said, "Beware of suspicion, for suspicion is the worst of false tales; and do not look for the others' faults and do not spy, and do not be jealous of one another, and do not desert (cut your relation with) one another, and do not hate one another; and O Allah's worshipers! Be brothers (as Allah has ordered you!"). (Bukhari)

Ibn Abbas narrated that the Prophet (SAW)said, "Whoever claims to have seen a dream which he did not see, will be ordered to make a knot between two barley grains which he will not be able to do; and if somebody listens to the talk of some people who do not like him (to listen) or they run away from him, then molten lead will be poured into his ears on the Day of Resurrection …(Bukhari)

Abu Barza Al-Aslami (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW)said: O community of people, who believed by their tongue, and belief did not enter their hearts, do not back-bite Muslims, and do not search for their faults, for if anyone searches for their faults, Allah will search for his fault, and if Allah searches for the fault of anyone, He disgraces him in his house. (Ahmad and Abu Dawood)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: