// More foreigners embrace Islam
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More foreigners embrace Islam  (Read 820 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jul 03, 2008 07:20 AM »

More foreigners embrace Islam
Essam al Ghalib
Last Updated: July 02. 2008 11:26PM UAE / GMT

ABU DHABI // Hundreds of foreigners living in the capital emirate have converted to Islam this year and the majority of the new worshippers are women.

Abu Dhabi Judicial Department said it had registered 363 converts, more than any other emirate, in the first five months of the year.

A total of 256, or 70 per cent, of the converts were women, while the majority of the total came from the Philippines, followed by India and China.

According to the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment’s Islamic information service, those who have embraced Islam made the decision after seeing it being practised by those around them.

“Many non-Muslims have converted to Islam after having had positive interactions with Muslims,” said Sadig al Malki, a research associate at Georgetown University and co-founder of the Faith in Diversity Institute.

“It is the duty of every Muslim to treat others with the utmost respect so that he or she is a positive influence. When one is treated with dignity, love and respect, one embraces that,” the scholar said.

“All Muslims must act as ambassadors of their faith in order to encourage more people to embrace Islam.”

However, he warned that people should convert only for the right reasons.

“Converting to Islam to simply get a visa to visit Saudi Arabia and go on a tour of Mecca, for example, is not a reason one should convert,” he said. “One has to be convinced in his heart that it is the right thing to do.”

Although Saudi Arabia does not issue tourist visas, it allows Muslims to apply for a pilgrimage visa to enter the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

Doce Belano, 47, a Filipino production supervisor in Sharjah, converted to Islam in 2002. “I became interested in Islam when I started reading the Quran,” he said.

“I even took Islamic studies for a year when I was in Saudi Arabia. I realised Islam is a true religion that I should follow. I feel that Islam has completely changed my life. I used to drink alcohol, but I am now leading a more disciplined life.

“I’ve also encouraged my colleagues to embrace Islam,” Mr Belano added. “My wife, Jocelyn, who chose to convert this month, received her Certificate of Conversion from the Dubai court on Sunday.”

A total of 267 of those who converted this year live in the capital, 91 in Al Ain and five in Al Gharbia. The highest number of converts were Filipinos, with 174 registered, followed by 37 from India and 18 from China.

Emiratis reacted proudly to the news.

“The number of people converting shows that the country is influencing foreigners in a positive manner,” said Sarif Al Romaithi, 24, a pilot with Etihad Airlines.

“As a result, they are converting to Islam after absorbing our culture, our behaviour and through positive interactions with us. Their converting shows that they believe in the way we do things here.”

The news had given Zainab Mohammed al Saeedi, a customer service representative, “extra pride in being a Muslim and in being a part of a culture that represents Islam well. For someone to change their religion to another is a huge step. I am so proud of them all.”

Mr Malki said the process of converting to Islam was relatively simple. Believers must accept that there is only one god.

* With additional reporting by Ramona Ruiz
http://www.thenational.ae/article/20080702/NATIONAL/957332503/1010/NEWS

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2008 06:00 PM »

wsalam,

that is good news... i always found it odd that people went to muslim countries to live for such a long time and never became interested in islam. that just didn't seem right. same as people that went to saudi to live or work. i know they have their own compounds and things and that probably keeps them from interacting but more people should try.

ws
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: