// Living the Qur'an
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "You leave the best of worship: humility." - A'isha (May Allah be pleased with her)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living the Qur'an  (Read 35299 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2008 12:55 PM »

Al-Maidah (The Table Spread)
Chapter 4: Verse 32 (Partial)

Abomination
"he who slays a soul unless it be (in punishment) for murder or for spreading mischief on earth shall be as if he had slain all mankind; and he who saves a life shall be as if he had given life to all mankind."

The Guidance:

No human being has any right by himself to take human life in retaliation or for causing mischief on this earth. Therefore it is incumbent on every human being that under no circumstances should he be guilty of taking a human life. If anyone has murdered a human being, it is as if he has slain the entire human race.

The Prophet, may God's blessings be on him, has declared murder as the greatest sin only next to polytheism. The Tradition of the Prophet reads: "The greatest sins are to associate something with God and to kill human beings."

In the Quran and the Traditions of the Prophet the word 'soul' (nafs) has been used in general terms without any distinction or particularization. Therefore the injunction to not kill does not refer only to the persons belonging to one's nation, the citizens of one's country, the people of a particular race or religion. The injunction applies to all human beings and the destruction of human life in itself has been prohibited.

The Reason:

The survival of human life depends on everyone respecting other human beings and in contributing actively to the survival and protection of others. Whosoever kills unjustly is thus not merely guilty of doing wrong to one single person, but proves by his act that his heart is devoid of respect for human life and of sympathy for the human species as such. Such a person, therefore, is an enemy of all mankind. This is so because he happens to be possessed of a quality which, were it to become common to all men, would lead to the destruction of the entire human race. The person who helps to preserve the life of even one person, on the other hand, is the protector of the whole of humanity, for he possesses a quality which is indispensable to the survival of mankind.

The Abomination:

The terrorist attacks that have taken place recently are an abomination. We feel great pain and sorrow for the innocent victims of these attacks. We also feel great sorrow for the sake of our religion. Islam has been treated unjustly by these attacks. Islam's global reputation has been severely wounded. We need to fear Allah and not disgrace our religion. The Prophet Muhammad – whom Allah sent as a mercy to all humanity – refrained from causing any harm even to the hypocrites who were plotting against the Muslims while living right in their midst and under his authority. He could have dealt with them easily in any manner he chose – and he chose to show them peace and mercy. He explained: "It will never be said that Muhammad killed his companions."

When will we wake up and see reason? When will we face up to our responsibility towards our religion? When will we start acting like we realize there are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world who share with us this religious identity? Does it make any sense to wipe their faces with mud or disgrace them?

Compiled From:
"Human Rights in Islam" - Sayyid Abul Ala Mawdudi
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30920828&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D423%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3
"Towards Understanding the Quran" - Sayyid Abul Ala Mawdudi, Vol.2, 155-156
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30920828&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D1271%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3
"Mumbai - Islam's Reputation is at Stake" - Salman al-Oadah
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30920828&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?cat_id%3D29%26sub_cat_id%3D2034

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2008 03:17 PM »

Al-Anam (The Cattle)
Chapter 6: Verse 108

Respect
"And insult not those whom they (disbelievers) worship besides God, lest they insult God wrongfully without knowledge. Thus We have made fair-seeming to each people its own doings; then to their Lord is their return and He shall then inform them of all that they used to do."

God expects us to stay away from mocking the religious beliefs of others, no matter how much we disagree with them. Christmas is an annual Christian religious holiday commemorating the birth of Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him. For many Muslims who even do not celebrate the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, it becomes an issue of what stand they should take.

There have been a number of legitimate criticisms of the holiday from Muslims and non-Muslims based on theological and cultural considerations. However, this cannot be used to disregard the holiday as merely an exercise in ancient pagan practices, for instance, or excessive consumerism. Muslims have to remember that for practicing Christians, Christmas really is about Jesus.

We also have to remember that even if for many nominal Christians, the celebration is not really about participating in religious traditions, Christmas is a time for families to get together. In a number of cases it is the only time of year families get together, either because family members are scattered in different parts of the country or the world, because of communication and relationship problems, or because in America today, the family unit is becoming weaker and weaker.

Christmas is a great time to relate to our neighbours. We should not forget though, that "relating" does not mean "preaching". Dawa cannot be made in a rude manner. This may not be an occasion to emphasis the differences as much as the commonality of our beliefs, unless someone is really asking you about them.

A starting point for a discussion about Christmas could be the Islamic belief in all Books revealed by Allah and all Prophets sent by Him. In this discussion, special emphasis could be made on Prophet Jesus. Non-Muslims are often surprised to discover that Muslims also believe in this noble Prophet and his great mother Mary (peace be upon her).

Remember that respect does not mean compromise. You have freedom of religion given by God to believe in what you believe in. But in a world where conflict is increasing, a Muslim should be a bridge- builder and a peacemaker. It was due to the Muslim practice of Islamic ideals of respect and tolerance that the key of the holiest Christian Shrine in Jerusalem, the church of the Holy Sepulchre, remains entrusted with a Muslim family, as it has been for over 1400 years.

Compiled From:
"Treating Christmas With Respect" - Abdul Malik Mujahid
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30926468&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://soundvision.com/Info/christmas/ctreat.asp

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2008 09:01 AM »

Saba (Sheba)
Chapter 34: Verse 36

Wealth & Property
"Say: My Lord gives in abundance, or gives in scant measure, to whomever He wills; but most people do not understand."

The question of wealth and property, and how much someone has of the means of luxury and pleasure, is one that many people wonder. They are troubled when they see that the wicked, the corrupt and the perpetrators of evil have whatever they wish for of wealth and power, while those who are virtuous, good and honest are deprived of it all.

Some tend to think that God only gives in abundance to someone who enjoys a privileged position with Him. Others may even doubt whether goodness, honesty and virtue have any real value, since they often go hand in hand with poverty and deprivation. Therefore, the Quran separates the riches and luxuries of this world from the values which God approves of. It states that God grants sustenance in abundance or scant measure to whomever He wills, and this has nothing to do with Him being pleased or displeased with anyone.

A person's wealth, position or offspring in this life bear no indication of that person's standing with God. Such standing is determined on the basis of how people behave.

Compiled From:
"In The Shade of The Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 14, p. 169-171
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30931902&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D423%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2008 09:39 AM »

Al-Noor (The Light)
Chapter 24: Verse 44

Passage of Time
"It is Allah Who alternates the Night and the Day: verily in these things is an instructive example for those who have vision!"

It behoves a believer to take personal lessons from the passage of days and nights. The passing of Time wears out the new, brings what is remote nearer, rolls up lifetimes, makes the young old, and annihilates the old.

In the course of each day, each hour, and each moment, innumerable events take place in life and in the cosmos. On Earth, a seed germinates, a plant flowers, a flower bears fruit, a fruit is plucked and a crop soon becomes dry stubble scattered by the winds. A foetus comes into being, a child is born, a baby grows into adolescence, a youth matures into adulthood, an adult ages into senility, and an old person dies away. In addition to these earthly phenomena, there are numerous changes taking place in the celestial sphere, unseen but no less potent.

During the course of these continual changes, we pass through states of ease and adversity, prosperity and poverty, health and sickness, happiness and sorrow, comfort and discomfort, fortune and misfortune. In all these there are signs for those who are intelligent, messages for those with an understanding heart, and lessons for those with vision.

Compiled From:
"Time In The Life of a Muslim" - Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, pp. 25, 26

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2009 07:02 AM »

Ash-Shura (The Consultation)
Chapter 42: Verses 39-42

Principles of Retaliation
"And those who, when an oppressive wrong is inflicted on them, (are not cowed but) help and defend themselves. The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from God: for (God) loves not those who do wrong. But indeed if any do help and defend themselves after a wrong (done) to them, against such there is no cause of blame. The blame is only against those who oppress men and wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a penalty grievous."

The believers do not fall prey to the tyrants. Their tender heartedness and forgiving nature is not the result of any weakness. Their nobility demands that when they are victors they should forgive the errors of the vanquished; when they possess the power, they should avoid vengefulness and when a weak or subdued person happens to commit a mistake they should overlook it; but when a powerful person, drunk with authority, commits violence against them, they should resist and fight him with all their might.

These verses introduce three basic principles of retaliation:

1. The right limit of retaliation is that one should return the same sort of ill treatment that one
    has received;
one has no right to return a greater ill treatment.

2. Although it is permissible to retaliate against the one who has committed violence, wherever
   pardoning can be conducive to reconcilement, pardoning is better for the sake of
   reconcilement than retaliation.
And since man pardons the other by suppressing his own
   feelings, Allah says that the reward of such a one is with Him, for he has suppressed his own self for the
   sake of reforming the evil-doers.

3. One should not become a wrongdoer oneself in the process of avenging a wrong done by
    the other.
It is not permissible to do a greater wrong in retaliation for the wrong done. For
    example, if a person slaps another, the other can return only one slap; he cannot shower his blows and
    kicks. Likewise, it is not right to commit a sin in retaliation for a sin. For example, if a wicked man has killed
    the son of someone, it is not right to go and kill the son of the former. Or, if a person has violated the
    chastity of another person's sister or daughter, it is not lawful for him to rape the former's sister or
    daughter.

Compiled From:
"The Meaning of the Qur'an" By Sayyid Abul Ala Mawdudi, Vol 4, pp. 551, 552

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2009 04:51 AM »

Al-Baqarah (The Cow)
Chapter 2: Verse 165 (partial)

Intense Love
"Those who have Iman, are intense in their Love for Allah."

This is how Allah describes the true believers- i.e. those who Love Allah more than anything else and who make Allah their first priority.

The verse doesn't say, that one must love Allah only. Love is a blessing given to us by Allah and is manifested in many aspects of life. In Islam, however, it must be foremost for Allah, our Creator, and Merciful Sustainer.

What is Love?

Perhaps it cannot be defined in terms which adequately reflect its nature and importance in a person's life. It is not possible to define it by a formula in a manner we define a scientific fact. But still each one of us knows what love is and can tell from our experience the powerful force that it is.

It is the overpowering force in life. It captivates you, it grips you, it moves you and you are prepared to do anything for the sake of it. Once love is there, what you do is not something which has to be imposed upon you, because you need imposition only for things you do not love.

Nature of True Iman & Love for Allah

Iman (faith) is something which must penetrate deep into your heart and generate an intense love for Allah and His Prophet (peace be upon him), more than anything else. Unless this happens, you cannot experience the real Iman.

To develop this love for Allah does not require us to retire to or seclude ourselves in a monastery / masjid. This love makes us do our duty to Allah, as His representatives, while we are out in the street, at home or in the office. With this love, we live as servants of Allah, everywhere willingly making every sacrifice required of us. In fact, it propels us to share actively in the service of Allah's other creatures. True love of Allah makes one care for people and their needs.

Your Barometer: Salah

Whether or not you have that love is something only for you to examine closely. If you love someone, one of your most intense desires will be to get closer to that person. In Islam, there are several ways of getting closer to Allah, foremost of which is Salah (daily prayers).

Once you are praying to Him, you are in front of Him, you are near to Him, you are speaking to Him, you are responding to Him in gratitude, and you are asking for His forgiveness. Prayer is not just a ritual in which you go through certain postures. The love generated through Salah, by submitting your soul exclusively to Allah, is like a seed which, as it grows, envelops the entire personality!

Compiled From:
"In the Early Hours" - Khurram Murad, pp. 63-64
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30944238&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D428%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #56 on: Jan 18, 2009 05:47 PM »

Al-Baqarah (The Cow)
Chapter 2: Verse 185 (partial)

Ease & Tolerance
"Allah wants your life to be full of ease (yusr), not hardship."

Yusr (ease, tolerance) consists of accepting the desires until the establishment of their undesirableness. It protects the Muslim from self-closure to the world, from deadening conversation. It urges him to affirm and say yea to life, to new experience. It encourages him to address the new data with his scrutinizing reason, his constructive endeavour, and thereby to enrich his experience and life, to move his culture and civilization ever forward.

In religion - and there can hardly be anything more important or prior in human relations - tolerance transforms confrontation and reciprocal condemnations between the religions into a scholarly investigation of the genesis and development of the religions in order to separate the historical additions from the original revelation. Yusr also immunizes the Muslim against any life-denying tendencies and assures him the minimum measure of optimism required to maintain health, balance and a sense of proportion, despite all the tragedies and afflictions which befall human life. That is what God has assured us in the above verse.

Compiled From:
"Tawhid: Its Implications for Thought and Life" - Ismail Raji al Faruqi, pp. 46-48

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2009 08:45 AM »

Al-Ahzab (The Confederates)
Chapter 33: Verse 23

True Followers
"Among the believers are men who are true to their covenant with Allah. Of them some have fulfilled their obligations and some of them are still waiting, but they have never changed in the least."

The above Quranic verse captures the essence of the believers' covenant with Allah. It signifies the Islamic movement, the call to truth and the believers' unwavering and single-minded commitment to Islam. Implicit in it is also the assertion that the believers are ever ready to sacrifice all that they have for this cause.

Islam is synonymous with a pledge. It is to be seen how many of us are true to this pledge, for men are liable to forget their oaths. We must remind ourselves of the glorious examples of the Prophet's Companions. After professing Islam they paid no heed to praise or criticism of fellow human beings. Their only concern was their loyalty to Islam.

Our verbal profession of Islam is meaningless. We may bear Muslim names and our way of life may contain some Islamic elements. We may occasionally visit the mosque. Our main duty as believers, nonetheless, is to be true to our pledge to Allah. In our beliefs, acts of worship, conduct, dealings, way of life, social relations, marital ties, family and neighbourhood relationships and in every human activity we must behave as Muslims. Our commitment must be to divine laws.

Among the many billions of Muslims, some are specified in the above verse as being believers with firm resolve. Praise is heaped on them for their discharging their obligations to Allah. Then mention is made of those among them who have completed their appointed term and returned to Allah. They will be lavishly rewarded. Those still alive look forward to divine rewards and are true to their covenant. They have not changed their commitment in any degree.

Compiled From:
"Guidance from the Holy Quran" - Sayyid Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi, pp. 61-66

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2009 09:10 AM »

Al-Maida (The Table Spread)
Chapter 5: Verse 93

Contextual Reading
"No harm falls upon those who believe and do good works for what they have consumed as long as they are conscious of God and believe and do good works and then are conscious of God and believe and then are conscious of God and do good. Verily, God loves those who do good."

The "occasion of revelation" (asbab al-nuzul) of a verse gives a different kind of context than the Sunna. Whereas the Sunna shows the way the Prophet put general principles and specific commands of the Quran into practice, the occasions of revelation give context for Quranic statements for which there may or may not be correlating information from the Sunna. Without the background of the occasions of revelation, the normative value of many Quranic statements could be misunderstood if the verses are read in a literal fashion.

There is a report that some early Muslims understood the above verse to permit believers to consume alcohol. This claim was contested by one of the Companions, who said, "If they had known the occasion of revelation they would not have said that; (the occasion) is that when wine was forbidden people used to say, 'What about those who were killed in the path of God [before this prohibition] and died after they had been drinking wine which is an abomination?' Then this verse was revealed." The point of this verse, then, is not that the sacred law is waived for those who have faith and do good works, but that those who are ignorant of the law will not be punished for lack of compliance with it. What this story shows is that a decontextualized reading of the Quran can lead to a grave misunderstanding of its meaning.

Compiled From:
"The Story of The Quran: Its History and Place in Muslim Life" - Ingrid Mattson, p. 168
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30959202&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/book.asp?ref%3D9781405122573

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2009 08:24 AM »

Sad
Chapter 38: Verses 21-24

Deceptive Appearance
"Have you heard the story of the litigants who surmounted the walls of the sanctuary? When they went in to David, he was alarmed. They said: 'Have no fear. We are but two litigants: one of us has wronged the other; so judge between us with justice, and do not be unfair. Show us the way to rectitude. This is my brother: he has ninety-nine ewes and I have only one ewe. Yet he said: "Let me take charge of her," and has been hard on me in his speech.' Said [David]: 'He has certainly wronged you by demanding that your ewe be added to his ewes! Thus do many partners wrong one another, except for those who believe and do righteous deeds, but how few are they!' Then David realized that We were only testing him. He prayed for his Lord's forgiveness, fell down in prostration and turned to God in repentance."

These verses tell of a test to which David, peace be upon him, was subjected. David used to devote some of his time to conducting the affairs of his kingdom and to judge in people's disputes. The rest of his time he devoted to his worship, preferring seclusion when he sang his psalms. When he went into the sanctuary, no one was allowed in.

One day, David was surprised when he saw two people climbing over the wall into the sanctuary. He was alarmed. No good believer or trustworthy person would enter in this way. Therefore, they immediately tried to reassure him, saying that they were in dispute and wanted him to judge between them in fairness, showing the way to justice.

As stated by one of the disputants, the case is one of gross injustice that cannot be condoned. Hence, David immediately started to give his judgement without speaking to the other man or asking him to give his side of the story. Instead, he told the first man that the other had been unfair in his demands, and that many people behave in this way, except those who are good believers and do righteous deeds.

It seems that at this stage the two men disappeared. In fact, they were two angels who had come to test David, the prophet God had placed in a position of authority to judge between people in fairness, making sure who is right before passing judgement. They had put the case to him in a very sentimental way, one that invited immediate sympathy. However, a judge must not allow sentiment to take charge. He must not be hasty. Above all, he must not rely on the statement of one party, without allowing the other party to present his case and submit his evidence. Some aspects of the case, if not all of it, may then be seen in a different light. In other words, appearances can often be deceptive or incomplete.

Compiled From:
"In the Shade of the Qur'an" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 14, pp. 374-375
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30964560&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6931%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #60 on: Feb 14, 2009 08:43 PM »

Al-Shams (The Sun)
Chapter 91: Verse 10

Corrupt Soul
"And he fails who corrupts it."

The Arabic word al-khaibah has many aspects to it, including:

1) weakness in one's soul, as the soul does not have the strength and courage to
     follow what it knows is the truth;

2) hesitation and confusion as every time it wants to do good, the soul drags it
    back down and fights it;

3) true psychological humiliation as he is worshipping something that has no
    benefit to it and it is not worthy of a human being to be worshipping something of that nature;

4) cowardice and stinginess as his soul knows that he is disobeying his Lord
    and he cannot look forward to anything positive; hence, he has to hang on to his life and everything that
    he possesses in the strongest fashion;

5) loss of modesty and dignity as his soul drives him to do shameless acts to the
    point that he accepts them, supports them and loses all shame concerning them.

This is all part of the reality that happens to him in this world. And that is all much less than the disgrace that he will face in the Hereafter.

Compiled From:
"Purification of the Soul: Concept, Process and Means" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, pp. 478, 475

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2009 09:25 AM »

Al-Hujurat (The Chambers)
Chapter 49: Verse 15

Agenda for Change
"Believers are those who (truly) believe in Allah and His messenger, then doubt not, but who strive with their possessions and their selves in the way of Allah; it is they who are the truthful ones."

Significant change cannot be effected solely through preaching and delivering sermons. These have a very limited and temporary effect on an audience and societal powers. The influences of society, or the dominant culture, are so huge that they very quickly wash away any effects produced by the preaching. Thus, change agents additionally require a clear practical agenda for change, backed up by sincere devotion, firm resolve and commitment, a spirit of sacrifice, and an investment of time, energy, and resources.

The kind of actions that a movement can engage in will naturally vary according to the social and political circumstances. For instance, if a people are oppressed by their governments, then armed struggle cannot be ruled out. Conversely, in peaceful conditions, actions can incorporate communication, dialogue and exerting social and political pressure.

In the light of Islamic guidance, actions for positive change should lead to a greater good and not to a worsening of the situation. If taking certain actions, no matter how crucial or effective they may be considered, leads to panic and confusion, or creates social upheavals that may give rise to more evil, then they must be avoided and patience exercised until condition change. This is because Islam aims to bring about peace and order not chaos; its aim is to reform, improve and develop a society, to remove wrongs and corruption rather than punish the wicked or create disorder on earth.

Compiled From:
"Building a New Society" - Zahid Parvez, pp. 159, 160

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2009 03:18 PM »

Al-Tahrim (The Prohibition)
Chapter 66: Verse 6 (Partial)

Take charge of your home
"Guard yourselves and your kindred from the Fire."

Your own home is in your control. Strive to enforce the commandments of Allah within its precincts. Establish Allah's rules in your home. Your most important task should be to arrange and maintain your home according to the Will of Allah. After your own self, the things about which you shall be asked and required to explain on the Day of Judgment will be those that are within your power. Most important amongst these is your home. The reformation of your home is dependent upon your own reformation and vice versa. When your home operates according to the Will of Allah, you shall be rewarded with the immense wealth of peace and satisfaction. Although no home is secure against external influences today, yet your efforts can make a great difference.

Let the spirit of this verse be central to the daily routines of your domestic life and for your mutual relations. Whether it is the material possessions of your home or the food and drink, or the education and training of your children, or their entertainment and future welfare, or the relationships between spouses and the treatment of the children, always make sure that no action of yours leads you to the hell-fire. The more you keep your vision focused on this principle and the more you strive towards this end, the more your domestic life will be heavenly and is likely to lead you to the attainment of Paradise.

This is not to say that this constant concern with hell-fire will deprive you of all worldly pleasures and enjoyment. No, not at all. Given such a concern, your home life will be permeated with mutual caring; there will also be much love and mutual affection; and there will also be the happiness that emanates from mutual forgiving and tolerance. There will also be a lot of scope for enjoyment from things that are clean and lawful, and of course, the home will have all permissible adornments. All these will be there since they are to save oneself from Allah's wrath.

Compiled From:
"Dying and living for Allah" - Khurram Murad, pp. 63, 64

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #63 on: Mar 07, 2009 04:25 PM »

Al-Nisa (The Women)
Chapter 4: Verse 49

Fear of making mistakes
"Do you not see those who praise themselves for purity? No, Allah purifies whoever He wills. They will not be wronged by so much as the smallest speck."

All acts and thoughts of those who are abundantly proud are directed towards earning the appreciation of others, and of making themselves out to be superior. For this reason, they excessively fear making mistakes. For them, making mistakes is a form of humiliation. They have total confidence in themselves, yet, paradoxically, feel the constant worry of doing the wrong thing. The arrogant ardently avoid all kinds of mistakes; making a mistake for them is an embarrassment. Therefore, they deny even the possibility. They are in a constant struggle to escape accusation of any faults. In the above verse, Allah describes a disposition of these people.

The arrogant humiliate others when they discover their mistakes. They exaggerate the errors other people make, taking every opportunity to bring these to light. They show no pity for anyone who commits an error, and become condescending towards them. They erroneously assume that if they reveal others' mistakes they make apparent their own faultlessness. Therefore, no one can feel at ease in their company. Such people always create an atmosphere of negativity.

Due to these reprehensible qualities, the arrogant can never master sincerity in its true sense. They remain deprived of this quality because they are aloof, always scheming. Such traits hinder them from being sincere towards others, being the reason why others distance themselves from them. They always fear that sincere behaviour, or natural shortcomings may become an object of ridicule. Due to their bad character, the arrogant are usually abandoned by others when they lose their power or fortune. Yet, we need to remember that, even at those times when they feel they are powerful, they are still alone in their own inner-world, so distant from the morality of the Quran.

Compiled From:
"The Arrogance of Satan" - Harun Yahya

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #64 on: Mar 15, 2009 05:06 AM »

Al-Munafiqun (The Hypocrites)
Chapter 63: Verse 4

Stable Life
"They think that every cry is against them."

Inside a certain class of people there rages an internal war, one that doesn't take place on the battlefield, but in one's bedroom, one's office, one's own home. It is a war that results in ulcers or an increase in blood pressure. Everything frustrates these people: they become angry at inflation, furious because the rains came late and exasperated when the value of their currency falls. They are forever worried and irritated, no matter what the reason.

We should not carry the weight of the globe on our shoulders. Let the ground carry the burden of those things that happen. Some people have a heart that is like a sponge, absorbing all kinds of fallacies and misconceptions. It is troubled by the most insignificant of matters; it is the kind of heart that is sure to destroy its possessor.

Those who are principled and are upon the true path are not shaken by hardship; instead, hardship helps to strengthen their resolve and faith. But the reverse is true for the weak-hearted: when they face adversity or trouble, it is only their level of fear that increases. At a time of calamity, there is nothing more beneficial than having a brave heart. The one who has such a heart is self-possessed; he has firm faith and cool nerves. On the other hand, during the course of any given day, the coward slaughters himself many times with apprehensions and presentiments of impending doom. Therefore, if you desire for yourself a stable life, face all situations with bravery and perseverance.

Compiled From:
"Don't Be Sad" - Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #65 on: Mar 20, 2009 02:59 PM »

Al-Anam (The Cattle)
Chapter 6: Verse 2

Two Major Appointments
"He created you out of clay and decreed a fixed term in this world and another one known only to Him. Yet you are still in doubt."

Every human being has two major appointments to keep, one sooner than the other. Following a limited span of life, man dies. The second appointment comes with the Resurrection.

The frequent references to the Day of Resurrection in the Quran are not meant, as understood by some ignorant people, as a threat to human civilization or to thwart human progress. Rather, they are aimed at breaking man's false pride and egotistic ambitions.

The need to remind humans of the Day of Judgment never ceases to exist. Such admonition helps control man's desires and moderate his arrogance. The normal human being, with enough common sense, and with a certain belief in the Resurrection, would never forfeit a life of eternal bliss or opt for short-term enjoyment in exchange for the rich rewards of the hereafter!

Compiled From:
"Thematic Commentary on the Quran" - Muhammad Al-Ghazali, pp. 623, 624

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #66 on: Mar 28, 2009 12:27 AM »

Al-Jathiyah (The Kneeling One)
Chapter 45: Verse 13

Subjugation of the Universe to Man
"And He has subjected to you, as from Him, all that is in the heavens and on earth: behold, in that are Signs indeed for those who reflect."

Relevant to man's high standing is the subjugation of the universe to him, in the sense that the universe is prepared to help man undertake his role as God's vicegerent. The dimensions, laws, and proportions are set in such a way that human beings can interact with the universe in a positive and productive manner. Thus a favourable atmosphere is created, one in which human beings can release their potential, to venture and develop the universe.

This belief in man's exalted nature lays the foundation for human potential and encourages individuals to act in ways that lead to their improvement. It also banishes the feeling of inferiority toward the universe (nature), a feeling that led many people to fear nature to the extent of worshiping some of its symbols. Many times, human resources and potential were exhausted in such services and related sacrifices, which are in direct contravention to vicegerency (Khilafah). The belief in a subjugated universe generates a confidence and optimism that consider success attainable.

Compiled From:
"The Vicegerency of Man" - Abd al Majid al Najjar, pp. 18, 19

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #67 on: Apr 03, 2009 06:35 PM »

Ta-Ha (Ta-Ha)
Chapter 20: Verse 121 (Partial)

Natural and Acquired Hayaa
"They they both ate of the tree, and so their private parts became manifest to them, and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise for their covering."

Hayaa (modesty and shame) is something that every human being naturally possesses. One of the aspects of hayaa that is naturally found in mankind is the feeling to cover one's private parts. This characteristic can be seen clearly in the above example of Adam and Eve.

Like all natural characteristics, this quality may be nurtured and allowed to grow or it may be stunted to the point that the person completely loses this quality.

Beyond the natural feeling of hayaa, there can be an acquired aspect that is directly related to the strength of one's faith. This is the hayaa that comes about by realizing that Allah is always present and He sees everything that one does. There is no escape from Allah. When a person realizes this, he will be ashamed to perform any act that is displeasing to Allah.

Another helpful factor is for the person to think about all of the blessings that Allah has bestowed upon him. For example, if he really thinks about how great a blessing his eyesight is, he will be ashamed to use this blessing from Allah in ways that are displeasing to Him.

Compiled From:
"Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, pp. 808, 809
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31001756&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.al-basheer.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item%3D10000

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #68 on: Apr 12, 2009 04:07 AM »

Al-Qasas (The Story)
Chapter 28: Verses 23-24 (Partial)

Helping Others
"And when he arrived at the watering (place) in Madyan, he found there a group of men watering (their flocks), and besides them he found two women who were keeping back (their flocks). He said: "What is the matter with you?" They said: "We cannot water (our flocks) until the shepherds take back (their flocks): And our father is a very old man." So he watered (their flocks) for them."

We have in Moses (peace be upon him) prophetic example of helping others. When he arrived at the wells of Midian, he found the men folk busy providing water for their flocks. He also saw two young women waiting at a distance with their sheep, unable to approach the wells.

Moses (peace be upon him) was appalled by this situation. The above verses of the Qur’an relate the incident.

What was it than made Moses take such offence at this situation? It was his upright character that made him concerned for the rights of the weak. Those who are weak and vulnerable should be cared for and given priority. They should not be sidelined and neglected. His immediate response was to help them. His courageous, noble, and generous nature would allow for nothing else.

We are right to be impressed when we consider Moses’s circumstances. He was a man on the run, far away from his home where he had the status of a wanted criminal. He was among strange people, none of whom he knew, and he had no provisions even for himself. He had enough problems of his own to worry about. Nevertheless, it went against his nature to stand by and see such helpless people being neglected.

Allah chose people with big hearts to entrust with His Message; people who were naturally inclined to help others. It takes such people to shoulder the burden of guiding others from the darkness into the light. Only those with compassion, mercy, and a gentle disposition can carry out such a task.

This truth is evident from the lives of the Prophets. Those who wish to be the inheritors of the Prophets should keep it in mind. The more we reflect the character of the Prophets in our own conduct, the more successful we will be in carrying out their mission. Scholars and Islamic workers need to have a strong social consciousness. They need to be people others can turn to in need. They need to be able to address the problems of society with understanding and compassion.

If our social consciousness is not fully awakened, our success in calling others to Allah’s Message will be limited. Our efforts might even yield negative results.

Compiled From:
"Calling to Allah by Helping Others" - `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31006211&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://islamtoday.com/showme2.cfm?cat_id%3D36%26sub_cat_id%3D2147

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #69 on: Apr 21, 2009 08:36 AM »

Al-Hadid (The Iron)
Chapter 57: Verse 27 (partial)

Pseudo-Spiritualism
"But the monasticism which they invented for themselves, We did not prescribe for them"

Pseudo-Spiritualism or monasticism goes to the other extreme of materialism. It differentiates between the religious and secular; the material and spiritual. Such views, in extreme sense, teach that people should disengage and withdraw from, or shun the material world and curb desires and pleasures of the flesh in order to achieve spiritual elevations.

Individuals holding such ideas usually live their life in seclusion, practice monasticism, engage in ritual worship, favour celibacy and keep out of worldly and social affairs as much as possible. They consider time spent in meditation, chanting and in prayer as important and a means to spiritual upliftment.

From an Islamic perspective, such a concept and beliefs are incompatible with human nature. They inevitably benumb, socially and politically, those who base their life on it. Such ideas lead to a culture of passivity and social exclusion, and also withdraw good and pious people from the affairs of society, giving way to the wicked to dominate.

Compiled From:
"Building a New Society" - Zahid Parvez, pp. 89-90
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31010687&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D429%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #70 on: Apr 26, 2009 04:00 AM »

Al-Qasas (The Story)
Chapter 28: Verse 79-80

Infatuation with Luxuries
"And so he (Qarun) went before his people in all his pomp. Those who cared only for the life of this world said: 'Oh, would that we had the like of what Qarun has been given! He is certainly a man of great fortune!' But those who had been granted true knowledge said: 'Woe to you! God's reward is by far the best for any who believes and does what is right. Yet none can attain this other than those who are patient in adversity.'"

Here, we see some people infatuated with the luxuries that the present life can offer, ready to do what they can in order to have their share of it. Others feel that faith is a greater blessing, and hope for God's reward. Thus the value of wealth is set side by side with the value of faith.

The luxuries and splendour that life can give have always captivated people so that they neither look beyond these nor seek any higher or nobler value. They do not ask what price the owner has paid for such luxuries, nor by what means he has obtained them. They covet it whether it is wealth, position or honour. They swarm like flies to it. It does not matter to them whether the price is too high, the method too wicked or the means too lowly.

By contrast, those who maintain their bond with God have a different standard of values by which they look at life. Their souls are too noble to let worldly considerations get the better of them. The dignity they feel as a result of their faith prevents them from yielding to the pressures exerted by others. Such people are the ones endowed with real knowledge and the right sense of proportion: God's reward is far better than all this pomp, and what God gives is better by far than all that Qarun has. To have such insight into things puts people into a nobler category: they are the ones who persevere in adversity and resist temptation. They are the ones who remain patient despite being deprived of what they might wish for. When they prove their patience in the face of adversity and their perseverance in following the way God has laid down, He elevates them to a level that enables them to rise above all that life on earth can offer. Thus do they seek only God's reward, and with confidence and reassurance.

Compiled From:
"In The Shade of The Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 13, pp. 272-273

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009 05:25 AM »

Al-Sajdah (Prostration)
Chapter 32: Verse 21

Calamities
"We shall certainly have them taste some chastisement in this world in addition to the greater chastisement; perhaps they will retract."

"The greater chastisement" here refers to the chastisement to which the unbelievers and evil-doers will be subjected in the World-to-Come. The verse, however, also speaks of "some chastisement" in this world, which refers to things like serious diseases, death of kith and kin, tragic accidents, and losses and failures of various types which people face in the course of their worldly lives. There are also storms, earthquakes, floods, epidemics, famines, riots, warfares and other calamities which befall a people collectively, sometimes affecting the lives of millions.

These calamities afflict people in order that they may take heed before the greater chastisement overtakes them. They should give up those patterns of thought and action that lead them to the immense chastisement of the Hereafter. In other words, God has not made man's life in the world to be spent without care and concern. Man has not been granted an altogether smooth sail in this life. Calamities visit him so that he may purge his mind of the delusion that there is no power above him capable of causing harm.

They are thus made to realise that their destiny is controlled by someone else other than themselves. This real power and authority rests with God, not with man. Whenever any calamity from God strikes man it becomes evident that he can neither avert it himself nor by invoking any jinn, spirit, or god. Far from being simply natural disasters, these calamities serve as warnings from God to dispel man's misperceptions and prompt him to recognise the reality of things. By deriving lessons from these, man can mend his ways during his existence by embracing right beliefs and reforming his conduct. This alone will save him from the greater chastisement of the Hereafter.

Compiled From:
"Towards Understanding the Quran" - Sayyid Abul Ala Mawdudi, Vol. 8, p. 173
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31019621&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6934%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009 07:09 AM »

Al-Ankabut (The Spider)
Chapter 29: Verse 56

Spacious Earth
"You servants of Mine who have believed! Spacious is My earth; worship Me alone, then."

This verse is addressing the believers who suffer persecution at the hand of the unbelievers, who aim to prevent them from worshipping God. It tells them to try to flee from persecution so that they can truly practise their faith. This is given in the form of a loving address that touches one's heart.

The Creator of these hearts who knows all their feelings, fleeting thoughts, perceptions and ideas address them with love, inviting them to emigrate for the sake of their faith. These words, right from the onset give them a feeling of their true status, linking them to their Lord: 'Servants of Mine!'

This is the first caring touch, while the second is felt in what comes next: 'Spacious is My earth." You are My servants, and this is My earth, which is spacious and can comfortably accommodate you. What keeps you, then, in a hostile place where you are oppressed and persecuted on account of your faith, and where you cannot worship God in freedom? Leave this narrow and restricted place and find somewhere else in My spacious earth, to enjoy freedom of worship.

Sorrow at leaving one's own homeland is the first feeling which stirs in the mind of one who is invited to leave his home. Hence, these words stress closeness to God and the earth's spaciousness. Since it is all God's earth, then the place to be loved most is that where one enjoys freedom to worship God alone.

Compiled From:
"In The Shade of the Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 13, pp. 340, 341
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31024167&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6783%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2009 06:34 PM »

Al-Hajj (The Pilgrimage)
Chapter 22: Verse 31

Lack of Self-Definition
"Being true in faith to Allah, and never assigning partners to Him: if anyone assigns partners to Allah, he is as if he had fallen from heaven and been snatched up by birds, or the wind had swooped (like a bird on its prey) and thrown him into a far-distant place."

We see how this verse describes the sense of loss and lack of self-definition that afflicts the person in the absence of faith. The human being who lacks faith resembles a heavenly object that has strayed and fallen from its orbit. It is quick to burn up. It is lost and wasted, not knowing where it is headed. Such a person is overpowered by perplexing questions that make his or her mind as if it were about to explode. This person remains in emotional turmoil. The person's heart, likewise, does not come to any sound conclusion, and it takes that person's life right down to Hell.

It is part of our nature to seek out that which is to be venerated, that which is holy. This is why a person who does not acknowledge Allah as the one to be worshipped will find something else to worship.

All people, children and adults – and no matter how healthy, prosperous, or successful they might be – need a few moments away from other people, to commune with their Lord, to feel that Allah sees them, hears them, and will answer them. This is true at times of hardship and times of ease, not only when faced with failure, but even when enjoying the greatest success.

It is a grave error to assume that faith is tied in with fear of the unknown, as critics of religion claim. Rather, faith is tied in with a deep love in the heart, which in its outpouring naturally seeks that which is holy and sublime. In the absence of a willingness to recognize Allah, people might even worship idols like the Arabs used to do before the advent of Islam.

Compiled From:
"Faith is Human Nature – What Does This Really Mean?" - Salman al-Oadah
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31028381&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://islamtoday.com/showme_weekly_2006.cfm?cat_id%3D30%26sub_cat_id%3D2207

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009 07:56 AM »

Al-Rum (The Byzantines)
Chapter 30: Verse 54

State of Weakness
"It is God who creates you in a state of weakness, and then after weakness He brings about strength in you, and then after strength He brings about your weakness and old age. He creates what He wills; and He alone has all knowledge and power."

In this verse we see the beginnings in our own life, and we see the end brought to them in a vivid image as though it were happening before our own eyes. We only need to have a receptive mind to gather the inspiration behind the verse.

The weakness in man's formation meant here has several aspects to it. It includes the physical weakness of the single, tiny cell that makes the foetus which goes through several stages, remaining weak throughout all of them. This weakness continues during childhood, until the person reaches adolescence and the prime of youth. Another weakness is that of the substance from which man is made, which is clay. Had it not been for the breath of God's spirit, man would have remained in the physical image of clay or in an animal image. Both of these are very weak compared to man. There is also the psychological weakness that makes man yield to desire, passion and lust. It is again the breathing of God's spirit into him that gives him the ability and resolve to resist such emotions. Without this spirit man would have been weaker than animals which behave accordin g to their natures.

The strength mentioned here covers all those aspects discussed under weakness: strength in physical build, human potential, mental ability and psychological constitution.

Old age is a decline into childhood in all aspects. It may be accompanied with psychological decline due to weakness of will. An old person may have an urge similar to that of a child without having the willpower to resist it. The Arabic word shaybah, translated here as 'old age' also connotes 'grey hair'. It is specially selected here to give a tangible impression of old age.

No one escapes these stages. They never fail to affect anyone who survives; nor are they ever slow so as to come later than usual. These stages confirm that mankind is subject to a greater will that creates and determines as it pleases. That is the will of God who determines the age, life and stages of every creature in accordance with perfect knowledge and elaborate planning.

Compiled From:
"In The Shade of the Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 13, pp. 397, 398
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31032622&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6783%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: