// Living the Qur'an
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Dear companions, We have been in love with God For so very, very long. -Hafiz
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living the Qur'an  (Read 35271 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #100 on: Nov 09, 2009 08:21 AM »

Strong Marriage Bond
Al-Rum (The Romans) Sura 30: Verse 21

"And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts); verily in that are Signs for those who reflect."

Most spouses start out with hopes and rosy dreams; truly committed to making their marriage work. However, as the reality of living with a less than perfect spouse lurks in, and as the pressures of life builds, many individuals do not find as much satisfaction in their relationships. All marriages change over time. However, with hard work and dedication, people can keep their marriages strong and enjoyable. How is it done? What does it take to create a long-lasting, satisfying marriage?

Researches indicate that the most successful marriages share some key characteristics. These are some of the characteristics that researchers have found to be common in successful marriages. Let's look at each of these factors.

1. POSITIVITY

Successful spouses have far more positive than negative interactions. If there is too much negativity — criticizing, demanding, name-calling, holding grudges, etc. — the relationship will suffer. However, if there is never any negativity, it probably means that frustrations and grievances are not getting air time and unresolved tension is accumulating inside one or both partners.

The key is balance between the two extremes. There are many ways to foster positivity in a marriage. Being affectionate, truly listening to each other, taking joy in each other's achievements and being playful are just a few examples of positive interactions that help make marriages successful.

2. EMPATHY

Another characteristic of happy marriages is empathy. Empathy means understanding a person's perspective by putting oneself in his or her shoes. Many researchers have shown that empathy is important for relationship satisfaction.

People are more likely to feel good about their marriage and spouse if their partner expresses empathy towards them. Husbands and wives are more content in their relationships when they perceive that their spouses truly understand their thoughts and feelings.

3. COMMITMENT

Successful marriages involve both spouses' commitment to the relationship. When two people are truly dedicated to making their marriage work, despite the unavoidable challenges and obstacles that come, they are much more likely to have a relationship that lasts.

Husbands and wives who only focus on themselves and their own desires are not as likely to find joy and satisfaction in their relationships. However, when spouses are committed to investing in their marriage and are willing to sacrifice some of their own preferences for the good of the relationship, they usually have high-quality marriages.

4. ACCEPTANCE

One of the most basic needs in a relationship is acceptance. Everyone wants to feel valued and respected. When people feel that their spouses truly accept them for who they are, they are usually more secure and confident in their relationships.

Often, there is conflict in marriage because partners cannot accept the individual preferences of their spouses and try to demand change from one another. When one person tries to force change from another, he or she is usually met with resistance. However, research has shown that change is much more likely to occur when spouses respect differences and accept each other unconditionally. Basic acceptance is vital to a happy marriage.

5. MUTUAL LOVE AND RESPECT

Perhaps the most important component of successful marriages are love and respect for each other. This may seem very obvious — why would two people get married to someone whom they did not love and respect? The fact is, as time passes and life becomes increasingly complicated, the marriage often suffers as a result.

It is all too easy for spouses to lose touch with each other and neglect the love and romance that once came so easily. It is vital that husbands and wives continue to cultivate love and respect for each other throughout their lives. If they do, it is highly likely that their relationships will remain happy and satisfying.

Paramount of all, marriage must be based on the teachings of the Noble Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet , peace be upon him. Insha Allah, married couples will not only gain blessing and harmony from their marriages but also benefits and rewards in the Hereafter. Ameen.

Compiled From:
"Achieving a Strong Marriage Bond" - ICNA National Family Campaign
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31117741&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.icna.org/family/index.php?option%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D62%26Itemid%3D4

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #101 on: Nov 12, 2009 07:02 AM »

Advocates of Divine Message
Al-Anbiya (The Prophets) Sura 21: Verses 87-88

"And remember Dhul-Nun, when he went away in anger, thinking that We would not force him into a tight situation! But then he cried out in the deep darkness: 'There is no deity other than You! Limitless are You in Your glory! I have done wrong indeed!' So We responded to him and delivered him from his distress. Thus do We deliver those who have faith."
Prophet Jonah, peace be upon him, is here called Dhul-Nun, which means 'man of the whale' because he was swallowed by the whale and then thrown out. He was sent to a particular city, and he called on its people to believe in God, but they rejected both him and his message.

Angry and frustrated he walked away, and found himself sometime later by the sea, where he saw a laden boat. He boarded it. When the boat was in the middle of the sea, it was apparent that its load was too heavy. The shipmaster said that one passenger must be thrown overboard in order to give the rest a chance to survive. They all drew lots and the draw fell to Jonah. The other passengers threw him into the sea, or he might have jumped overboard. It was then that the whale swallowed him and he found himself in a most tight situation. At this moment he cried out to God for help. God answered his prayer and saved him from the distress he was suffering.

There are in Jonah's story some significant points we need to reflect upon:

The advocates of a message must be ready to bear the burden involved in such advocacy, remain patient in the face of rejection and vicious
           opposition.
They must continue to present their message to people and call on them to believe in it, time after time.

Such advocates cannot give in to despair. They cannot give up on people, believing that they will never respond to the truth, no
           matter how much opposition they face, and how often they are rejected and accused of falsehood.

The way a message must follow in order to touch people's hearts is neither easy nor comfortable. Positive responses may not be
           forthcoming. A touch on every sensitive receptor must be made to try to find the effective nerve.

It is easy for an advocate of the divine message to be angry when people turn away from him. To give up and quit is always easy. It may enable us to cool
           down. But of what service is that to the message itself? It is the message that is most important, not its advocate.

We must discharge our duty however hard the opposition we may face. We then leave the matter to God, and He gives guidance to
           whomever He pleases.

Compiled From:
"In The Shade of The Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 12, pp. 65-58
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31120902&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6785%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #102 on: Nov 13, 2009 09:30 AM »

The Day of Mutual Loss
Al-Taghabun (Loss and Gain) Sura 64: Verse 9 (Partial)

"The Day He shall gather up all of you for the Day of Gathering (taghabun) ..."

Ghabn, the root of the word taghabun, literally signifies fraudulently acquiring a thing at less than its market value. In other words, it denotes "cheating," "deceiving," or "defrauding" in buying or selling. In extended use, it may indicate "overreaching," or "overcoming" someone or something in an engagement. When buyers and sellers engage each other in the act of ghabn, it is called taghabun, thus becoming "mutual" cheating or defrauding.

The Quran uses this in its extended sense as one of the names of the Day of Judgment because the believers will, on that Day, "overcome" the disbelievers in attaining Paradise. Therefore, in the great engagement between the faithful and the faithless, the disbelievers will become the ultimate losers. The believers' delight assured perpetually, nonetheless, they themselves also will wish that they had striven harder in life with sacrifice and good deeds, to have earned even higher stations in the Garden.

Al-Khazin in his commentary explains this verse: "The utter loss of the disbelievers will become evident on the Day of Judgment when they are deprived of eternal delight because of their abandonment of faith. Moreover, believers will realize a certain 'loss,' as well, because they will then realize their missed opportunities in life for increased righteous works. It is also said that many of the haughty, the mighty, the rich and the famous - who are deficient in goodness - will come to stunning disillusionment when they find themselves surpassed by the truly righteous and virtuous who were deemed humble in life."

Compiled From:
"The Gracious Quran" - Ahmad Zaki Hammad, pp. 271, 272
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31124009&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://azhammad.com/

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #103 on: Dec 15, 2009 06:20 AM »

Suicide Bombing
Al-Nisa (The Women) Sura 4: Verse 29 (Partial)

"... And kill yourselves not, for God is truly Merciful to you."

People who are driven to despair are thus reminded to have faith in God's mercy in the hope that they may be relieved of their suffering. Since suicide is prohibited, anyone who tries to facilitate it, or acts as an accomplice, is also liable to a deterrent punishment that may be quantified by the court while taking into consideration the material circumstances of the case. Commentators have, moreover, drawn a five-point conclusion from this verse as follows:

1.  the obvious meaning is that suicide is forbidden;
2.  the text also stipulates that 'you may not kill one another' nor facilitate suicide;
3.  one may not undertake a task which is likely to cause his own death, even if it be in lieu of a religious obligation;
4.  no one should deprive himself of the necessities of life to the point of self-destruction; and
5.  the text covers cases of self-destruction regardless of the manner in which it is done.

The manuals of Islamic law are silent on the issue of suicide bombing, a disturbing phenomenon of our time that became frequent in connection with Israeli-Palestinian conflict, especially when Israel unleashed a new wave of aggression on the street processions of unarmed Palestinian youth in 2000-1. The aftermath of 11 September 2001 and more recently the horrendous violence in Iraq and Afghanistan, added new dimensions to the incidence of suicide bombing among Muslims.

Suicide bombing in the name of Islam is a 'sociopolitical phenomenon, not a theological one'. And any long-term solution to the problem must also address the causes that have brought so much pain and hopelessness to many Muslim societies.

It would be simplistic to lump the Palestinian suicide bombing with Al-Qaedah terrorist activities. One can hardly deny the genuine suffering of the Palestinian people and legitimacy of their struggle against sustained Israeli brutalities. It would appear equally simplistic, however, to equate suicide bombing with martyrdom and jihad. This is because suicide bombing contravenes two fundamental principles of Islam: prohibition against suicide, and deliberate killing of non-combatants. The argument that proceeds over reciprocity and retaliation is also flawed by the involvement of innocent non-combatants in suicide bombing.

Those who have raised the issue of 'collateral damage' in this context have also exaggerated their case, simply because non-combatants are chosen as the direct target of suicide bombing. They are, as such, neither collateral nor incidental.

The Muslim fighter who is motivated by the spirit of jihad enters the battle, not with the intention of dying, but with the conviction that if he should die, it would be for reasons beyond his control. Martyrdom in Islam does not begin with suicidal intention, let alone the linkage of that intention with the killing of non-combatants.

To justify suicide bombing under the banner of retaliation, or as a form of jihad, is therefore questionable, simply because it begins on an erroneous note, which goes against the essence both of just retaliation and justified jihad.

Compiled From:
"Shariah Law - An Introduction" - Mohammad Hashim Kamali, pp. 283-288
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31126032&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oneworld-publications.com/cgi-bin/cart2/commerce.cgi?pid%3D344%26log_pid%3Dyes

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #104 on: Dec 17, 2009 01:13 PM »

Religious Symbols
Al-Hajj (The Pilgrimage) Sura 22: Verse 32

"This is [to be bourne in mind]. Anyone who honours the symbols set up by God [shows evidence of ] God-consciousness in people's hearts."

A link is established here between the sacrifice offered by pilgrims and the way hearts are made conscious of God. The whole purpose of all pilgrimage rituals is to enhance believers' God-fearing sense. All these rituals are symbols confirming submission to God, the Lord of the Ka'bah, the Sacred House, as also obeying Him in all situations. They may also involve reminders of old events, from the time of Abraham and later generations, but these are reminders of complete submission to God, obeying His rules and looking up to Him for guidance. Such is the mark of the Muslim community evern since its earliest days. Hence, these symbols are to be treated on an equal footing with prayer.

Compiled From:
""In The Shade of The Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 12, pp. 130, 131
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31129790&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6785%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #105 on: Dec 22, 2009 06:46 AM »

Pre-Earthly Existence
Al-Araf (The Heights) Sura 7: Verse 172

"Now, behold! Your Lord took from the Children of Adam - from their loins - all the souls that would become their posterity. And He made them bear witness to their own souls - saying to them: Am I not your Lord? They said: Oh yes, indeed! We do so bear witness! This we did in the event that you should say on the Day of Resurrection: Indeed, we were heedless of this truth."

The general meaning of this verse is that God assembled the Children of Adam, all of humanity, in spirit before they came into material existence and took physical shape. God declared His unrivalled Lordship and all people assented in a solemn covenant.

One may ask, how did this take place? And why can I not remember it? Of course, human beings, by nature, remember nothing of very vital periods in their lives - such as conception and birth, early childhood, and so forth. Yet, they know it to have taken place by the account of their parents, for example, and their own later experience. Similarly, the Covenant of Pre-Earthly Human Existence has been reported in God's revealed Books and by His Prophets and has been imprinted on our souls, so that there is an innate or dormant recognition of its truth, which the signs of God in the universe and in His revelations awaken in us.

The objective of the verse is to remind the human being that it will be held accountable by God, who is the Lord and Creator of all people, for the trust of moral choice that it accepted.

Compiled From:
"The Gracious Quran" - Ahmad Zaki Hammad, p. 237
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31132598&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://azhammad.com/

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #106 on: Dec 24, 2009 06:15 AM »

Elevating Humanity
Al-Muminun (The Believers) Sura 23: Verses 51-52

"Messengers! Eat of that which is wholesome, and do good deeds: I certainly have full knowledge of all that you do. This community of yours is one single community and I am your only Lord. Therefore, fear me alone."

This address to the Messengers requires them to live as human beings, which is the very thing that those who opposed them questioned. Eating is a human need, but choosing only what is wholesome is the aspect that elevates human beings and makes them grow in purity. It enables them to establish a bond with the Supreme Society.

They are also required to "do good deeds." While taking action is common to all human beings, insisting on doing good is the characteristic of goodly people, providing a measure of control and a clear goal for their deeds. Again such people look up to the Supreme Society when they embark on anything.

No Messenger of God was ever required to abandon his humanity. Rather, what they were asked to do was to elevate this humanity to the highest standard God has made possible for human beings to achieve. Thus, the Prophets provided the role model and the ideal which other people should try to emulate. It is left to God to judge their actions according to His own fine measure.

Emphasis is placed on the fact that neither time nor place is of any significance when compared with the single truth that all messengers preached. They all shared a very distinctive nature, were given their messages by the One Creator of all, and worked towards the same goal.

Compiled From:
"In The Shade of The Quran" - Sayyid Qutb, Vol. 12, pp. 221-222
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31135589&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6785%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #107 on: Dec 27, 2009 11:42 AM »

Rainstorm
Al-Baqarah (The Cow) Sura 2: Verse 19

"Or like a rainstorm [sayyib] from the sky where there is darkness, thunder and lightning. They put thier fingers in their ears by reason of the thunderclaps for fear of death. And God encompasses the non-believers."

The word sayyib signifies the 'driving rain' that falls from the sky, and is a similitude for the Quran, by which springs the life of hearts, just as the life of the earth - its plants and animals - springs forth after a rain. When it reaches the believers, they know that it gives life, and does not endanger it. They are not repelled by its thunder and lightning, or its warnings, descriptions of punishment and similitude, by which God exhorts those who break His commandments and describes the place of those who reject His Prophet. Nor are they repelled by its rigorous commandments, such as combating enemies or patiently enduring. They are not repelled by those commandments which are hardest on the ego because they oppose its desires: 'darkness, thunder and lightning'. Anyone who knows about rainstorms and what life they bring, is not driven away by dark skies, thunder or lightning. In fact, he is drawn to them, and he rej oices in their promise of life and fertility.

On the other hand, the heart of the hypocrites is blind, and his vision cannot get beyond the zone of darkness. He sees only the lightning, and the mighty thunder and darkness, which repel and frighten him. He 'puts his fingers in his ears' in order not to hear the thunderclap, and is so startled by the lightning flash, its intensity and magnitude. In his ignorance he does not know that these things are common to rainstorms, which support not only earthly and plant life, but his own life. All he knows is the thunder, lightning and darkness, with no notion of what is behind them. And so a feeling of estrangement clings to him, and terror and apprehension will not leave him.

Compiled From:
"The Invocation of God" - Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya, pp. 68, 69

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: