// A new Etiquette Guide for Social Networking facebook etc
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Do not sell the Hereafter for the world. - Ali ibn Abi Talib (May Allah be pleased with him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new Etiquette Guide for Social Networking facebook etc  (Read 2628 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jul 07, 2008 06:56 PM »

Thought this was funny!! There definitely needs to be some guidelines for some new awkward type of situations Wink

=========================================

LONDON (Reuters) - Should you reject a friend on MySpace? How do you ward off an old lover on Facebook?

Have no fear. Britain's etiquette bible has come to the rescue for social networkers who are at a loss about how to behave with online decorum.

Debrett's have helped to compile a new set of "golden rules" for devotees of sites like Facebook and Bebo.

The rules were put together after research by the telecoms company Orange showed that almost two thirds of social networkers are frustrated and confused by online etiquette.

It discovered that more than a quarter were uncertain about how to respond to unwelcome "pokes" or messages.

Eighteen percent confessed to being confused on "how to respond to my ex when in a relationship with someone else."

Debrett's etiquette adviser Jo Bryant tried to guide the confused through what can be a social minefield.

Acknowledging that social networking has made new demands on traditional etiquette, she said "My advice is to play it safe and always employ your usual good manners when online, treating others with kindness and respect."

And you should never throw caution to the wind.

Mark Watt-Jones, head of development and innovation at Orange, said "Whether you are checking your Facebook profile or posting photos of friends on MySpace at work, these guidelines will ensure you never lose old friends or make unwanted new ones."

The golden rules compiled by Debrett's with Orange are:

1. You don't have to make friends with people you don't know. Think before you poke.

2. Wait 24 hours before accepting or removing someone as a friend. The delay will help you gather your thoughts.

3. Birthdays, engagements and weddings are not "virtual" events. Always send cards or phone friends when there is an important event.

4. Think before posting a friend's photo what you would feel like if it was you.

5. Think carefully about your profile picture. Would you want it to be appearing in your local newspaper?
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2008 07:01 PM »

I would add:

1. Don't add anyone you don't know in person or very well online.

2. Keep almost everyone on limited profile.

3. Add very limited information about yourself such as jobs/phone numbers

4. Be careful about what network you're on. Everyone on that network can see your limited profile.

5. Don't add people you don't really like. You'll be getting their updates/photos etc to your eternal annoyance.

6. Make sure to put single/married. It's very helpful.

7. Don't be pressured into putting up a 8x10 glamour glossy of yourself. You can put up pictures of stuff as your profile picture.

8. Don't tag ppl unless they want to be tagged.

9. Don't put up ugly pictures of other people and adhere to all requests to take down certain pictures.

10. Add a note of who you are when adding long lost friends/distant ppl.

11. In RSVPing to events be TRUTHFUL. Stop saying 'attending' or 'maybe attending' to every Islamic event so you look good.

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2008 01:39 PM »

salam

I would add,

- if you are a sister, add only men who are your relatives (and vice versa for brothers). 

All of my FB friends are women and the only males I have are my brother and 2 cousins.  both cousins are much younger than me and I am like an aunty to them.

take care
wassalam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2008 05:57 PM »

- if you are a sister, add only men who are your relatives (and vice versa for brothers). 

I don't think you have to go that far because there is the limited profile feature where you can specify who sees what. Sometimes it's really useful to have brothers in the community so you can relay information or events.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2008 06:14 PM »

salam

I don't feel that I am going too far by limiting my FB friends to women and male relatives.   I don't socialize with men anyways, why should they be on my FB ?    Many of my women friends also have an only female list on FB.  It just makes more sense. 

Brothers in the community  don't need to be on my friends list to know about events.  There are ways to post events on a separate page or  e-mail lists. 

I have yet to figure out how to limit the viewing of my FB page by some but not all friends. Though I don't understand the utility of such thing.  Call me a simpleton, but methinks if you don't want certain people to view your conversations with others or photo album, don't add them , period.   khalas.

take care
wassalam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2008 10:16 PM »

wsalam,

you can limit and hide your photos and conversations on a limited profile to brothers, but people can't see your posted items or notes or certain pictures like the quran one's i have if you're not their friend.

it's fine if you don't want any brothers on their period. to each his/her own. but there are ways to make it comfortable for everyone without stepping over any lines.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: