Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dubai 'shape-shifting skyscraper' unveiled  (Read 2977 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jul 07, 2008 07:54 PM »

Check out the video:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/06/25/duibai.tower/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Amazing... I wonder if they should do studies on the effects of constant movement on human beings.

Dubai 'shape-shifting skyscraper' unveiled

* Story Highlights
    * Plans for revolutionary 420-meter rotating skyscraper in Dubai unveiled
    * 80-story Dynamic Tower has been designed by architect David Fisher
    * Advanced plans to build second tower in Moscow
    * Tower will be built from prefabricated units; due to be completed by 2010

(CNN) -- Ambitious plans to build a revolutionary 420-meter shape-shifting skyscraper in Dubai have been unveiled by architects.

The 80-story Dynamic Tower, described as the "world's first building in motion," will also be the first skyscraper constructed from prefabricated units, according to a press statement released by New York-based architect David Fisher's Dynamic Group.

Each floor would be capable of rotating independently, powered by wind turbines fitted between each floor.

"You can adjust the shape the way you like every given moment," Fisher said. "It's not a piece of architecture somebody designed today and that's it. It remains forever. It's designed by life, shaped by time." VideoWatch how the tower would spin and twist ยป

Apartments will sell for about $3,000 per square foot, making each unit range in price from about $4 million to $40 million. Work on the tower is to be completed by 2010, according to Dynamic's Web site.

Fisher said that plans to build a second rotating skyscraper in Moscow were at an advanced stage and that the group intended to build a third tower in New York. He said developers and public officials in Canada, Europe and South Korea had also expressed interest in the project.

But some have expressed skepticism. Fisher has never built a skyscraper before. He says he has teamed up with reputable architects and engineers in the United Kingdom and India.

Although he has received a development license for construction in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, he has not disclosed the site of the building. The Moscow mayor's office said that it was looking into the project and that a decision had not been made.

Fisher has called prefabricated construction techniques the "future of architecture" and says they will radically transform 4,000-year-old "brick-on-brick" building methods.

By using preconstructed parts, Fisher said each story could be built in just seven days, resulting in environmentally cleaner building methods.

He said that just 600 people on an assembly site and 80 technicians on the construction site would be needed to build the tower, compared with about 2,000 workers for a traditional project of a comparable scale.

"It is unbelievable that real estate and construction, which is the leading sector of the world economy, is also the most primitive," Fisher is quoted as saying on Dynamic's Web site.

"Most workers throughout the world still regularly use trowels that was first used by the Egyptians and then by the Romans. Buildings should not be different than any other product, and from now on they will be manufactured in a production facility."

Dubai is experiencing a construction boom, with the Burj tower set to claim the title of the world's tallest building when it is completed in 2009. It is already home to the world's largest mall, and despite being in the Middle East, it boasts the largest indoor snow park in the world.
AbdulBasir
Bro

Reputation Power: 8
AbdulBasir has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2008 08:39 PM »

salam

Interesting...the wind turbine idea and "greener" construction model is cool...How would someone ever pray in that building? They would have to construct some counter-revolving musalla area at the precisely opposite speed to stay focused on the Qibla!
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2008 03:18 AM »

salam

a waste of money if you ask me ...  bleh.

wassalam
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2008 06:47 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I have to say I'm slightly sceptical over all these funny shaped, turning and revolving buildings and won't really believe them until I see some proper shape shifting going along.

Interesting...the wind turbine idea and "greener" construction model is cool...

There's a new building at the Bahrain World Trade Centre which has the wind turbine on the outside. Looked pretty impressive and I think they've now completed it.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2008 08:10 AM »

wsalam,

wow that's beautiful. what a lovely building. it truly looks like it's sailing.

i think the shape shifting building is supposed to resemble a flickering candle at night. that should be cool.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2008 08:10 PM »

salam

The shapeshifting one they've chosen is fugly, sorry but it is!

The one that was supposed to look like a candle flickering was by Zaha Hadid (well one of her employees) and it wasn't chosen, did make the final line up tho and was far prettier than this thing. But who knows perhaps it will look nice when completed, and knowing Zaha it may be just as well, I really wouldn't want to enter a building designed by her that was moving!!!! Shocked

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
nuh
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2008 12:38 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

I think that it's beautiful.

Normally modern architecture turns me off but there is something always interesting about these buildings creeping up in Dubai.

Ma'as salaama,
nuh
 bro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: