// Understaing the Prophet's (SAW) Life
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "O Allah, there is no life but the life of the Next World." - Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understaing the Prophet's (SAW) Life  (Read 39924 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2008 01:02 PM »

Day of Arafah

Jabir reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “There is no day better in the sight of Allah than the Day of Arafah. On this day Allah, the Almighty and the Exalted One, descends to the nearest heaven, and He is proud of His slaves on the earth and says to those in heaven, ‘Look at My servants. They have come from far and near, with hair dishevelled and faces covered with dust, to seek My mercy, even though they have not seen My chastisement.' Far more people are freed from the Hellfire on the Day of Arafah than on any other day.” [Ibn Hibban]

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) spent the day at Arafah until almost sunset. Then he said, “O Bilal, ask the people to be quiet and listen to me.” Bilal stood up and asked the people to be quiet and listen to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). When the people were quiet, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “O people, a little while ago Gabriel (peace be upon him) came to me. Gave me salutations from Allah and informed me that Allah has forgiven those who spend the Day at Arafah and those who stop at Al-Mashar Al-Haram, and that He has guaranteed their debts.”

At this Umar ibn Al-Khattab stood up and asked, “O Allah’s Messenger, is this for us only?” The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “This is for you and for all those who will come after you until the Day of Judgment.” Umar exclaimed, “How plentiful and blissful Allah’s bounties are!” [Ibn Al-Mubarak]

Abu Ad-Darda reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “On no other day does the Satan feel so belittled, humiliated, and angry as he does on the Day of Arafah. The reason for this is the mercy of Allah that descends (this day) and the forgiveness that He grants to people for major sins, except the day of the Battle of Badr, which witnessed a far greater mercy of Allah descending upon people, which caused great sadness to Satan."

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was asked, “O Prophet of Allah, what did Satan see on the day of the Battle of Badr?” “He saw Gabriel leading the troops of angels,” he replied (Reported by Malik and Al-Hakim).

Compiled From:
"Fiqh-us-Sunnah" - Sayyid Sabiq
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30920828&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fus5_78.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2008 03:25 PM »

Obligations of Employers and Employees

As an employer, you have an obligation to care for your staff; provide the most suitable working environment; and ensure that they are fully compensated punctually, for all their services rendered: 'Give the labourer his wages before his sweat dries'. (Ibn Majah.) The Prophet also said that one of the persons he shall be against on the Day of judgment is the man who does not pay the right wages to his employees after their labours.

As an employee, you must perform your job with diligence and proficiency. `Verily, Allah loves that when anyone of you does a job he should perfect it' (al-Bayhaqi). Know that the best food is that which comes from your own efforts: `No one eats better food than what he earns by the labour of his own hands'. (Bukhari.)

Compiled From:
"In The Early Hours" - Khurram Murad
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30926468&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D428%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2008 09:07 AM »

Accommodative

Ibn Hisham tells of a group of women from the tribe of Banu Ghifar, who came to the Prophet (peace be upon him), as he was about to depart to Khaybar. They asked to accompany him so as to attend the wounded, and help the Muslims in any way they could. The Prophet told them to do so, with God's blessing.

One of these women was quite young, and the Prophet took her on the back of his saddle. When they stopped next morning to pray, there was menstrual blood in the saddle where the young girl had been sitting. She clinched to the camel's back trying to hide it. The Prophet saw her and understood the cause of her embarrassment. He said, 'put some salt in the water and wash it, and continue your ride with me.'

Such was the character of the Prophet (peace be upon him) easy, natural and quite accommodative to other people. No wonder, he was so dearly loved by the Muslims, and by anybody who happened to meet him. His way with women and young people was most impressive: he needed no time to win over their hearts.

Compiled From:
"War and Peace In The Life of the Prophet Muhammad" - Zakaria Bashier, 214, 215
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30931902&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D6769%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2008 09:47 AM »

Easygoing

There is an ethical basis which all human beings share, and which Islam came to perfect. Islam did not come to strip people of their innate ethical awareness or overturn it. Rather, it came to confirm and strengthen it.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) once mentioned to his followers a covenant that the Arabs had concluded which had brought peace to their clans. He said that if he were ever invited to enter into such a treaty, he would do so. The treaty he spoke about had taken place before the advent of Islam. It was a treaty which brought the people together at the same table to affirm their rights and their human dignity, and which put an end to the endemic warfare that they had been suffering from and that was consuming their lives and wealth. Though the treaty took place before Islam, it was nevertheless in accordance with the innate moral sentiments that all human beings acknowledge. We all know that it is better to learn from one another and prosper. We all agree that hatred, conflict, and rancour are hated by God and condemned by mankind.

Clemency and flexibility in religious matters restore to people a healthy outlook, allowing them to live their faith in a way that is genuine and that accords with the nature that God has placed within them. It makes religion easy on the people, the way God intended it to be.

Once, a desert-dweller came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) complaining that Muadh prolonged the prayer too much. The Prophet (peace be upon him) asked the desert-dweller: "What do you say in prayer?"

He answered: "When I offer my tashahhud, I say: 'O Allah! I ask You for Paradise and seek refuge with You from the Fire.' As for me, I am not good at droning on the way you and Muadh do."

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said to him: "It is basically these things that we drone on about." [Sunan Abu Dawud (22), and Musnad Ahmad (15333)]

We can see that the Prophet (peace be upon him) did not impose upon the man to memorize what was too difficult for him. He took into account the man's abilities. Maybe he was an old man, or had a weak memory, or was poorly brought up.

It is significant that the Prophet (peace be upon him) did not interrogate the desert-dweller about his intentions. No doubt, the word the desert-dweller used to describe the prayer of Muadh – and of the Prophet himself – was quite unflattering and could easily have been construed as an insult. The Prophet (peace be upon him) did not take offence. Instead, with his answer, he comforted the desert-dweller and reassured him that the simple words he was using in his prayers were essentially what Muadh was saying.

Clemency and an easygoing nature should be the spirit of our personal conduct and our social interactions. This attests to the truth that our innate, easygoing religious awareness is better than imposing difficulties in religion. It is also farther away from the dangers of pretentiousness, conceitedness, and showing-off.

Compiled From:
"An Easygoing Approach to Faith" - Salman al-Oadah
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30934973&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://islamtoday.com/showme_weekly_2006.cfm?cat_id%3D30%26sub_cat_id%3D2045

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #54 on: Jan 05, 2009 07:09 AM »

The Victory of Moses

The most virtuous day of Muharram (the First Month of Islamic Calendar) is the day of Ashura - the tenth of Muharram. It is reported in Sahih al-Bukhari, when Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) came to Madinah, he saw the Jews fasting on the day of Ashura. He said: 'What is this?' They said: 'This is the day when Allah saved Musa from drowning, so we fast on this day.' Then he said: “We have more right to Musa than you.” So he fasted on this day and advised the Muslims to do the same.

Also, Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated: “When Allah's Messenger observed the fast of the day of Ashura and ordered (his Companions) to fast, they said: “O Messenger of Allah! It is a day revered by Jews and Christians.” Allah's Messenger said: “The coming year, if Allah wills, we will fast on the ninth (also).” [Sahih Muslim, vol: 1, p: 359]

Ibn Abbas also reported: “I never saw the Prophet more keen to fast on any day other than the day of Ashura and any month than the month of Ramadan.” [Sahih al-Bukhari]

The phrase 'more keen' of Ibn Abbas indicates that the Prophet looked forward to fast on the day of Ashura in order to earn the reward for doing so. The Prophet said: “Fasting the day of Ashura, I hope will be an expiation of sins for the year before.” [Sahih Muslim v: 1, p: 368]

Thus, the day of Ashura is mercy from Allah and an opportunity for one to get his sins forgiven. It is recommended for the Muslim Ummah to fast both the tenth and the ninth of Muharram since Allah's Messenger fasted the tenth and intended to fast the ninth. Another important thing to be understood here is that voluntary fasts are expiation for minor sins, as long as one completely refrains from major sins and is always cautious about minor sins. Some people who are deceived rely greatly on voluntary worships (like fasting on the day of Ashura or the day of Arafat) while neglecting the obligatory worships (praying five daily prayers, fasting in Ramadan, etc.)

Compiled From:
"Muharram: The Month of Allah" - As-Sunnah Bimonthly Islamic Newsletter

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #55 on: Jan 10, 2009 04:56 AM »

Building Masjids

The building of a masjid (the place where one prostrates oneself) institutes a specific sacralised space within the primary and essential sacrality of the universe as a whole; as the Prophet said, "The whole earth is a masjid" [Bukhari, Musilm]. Once built, the masjid becomes the axial space of the Muslim spiritual community in which it is situated, but it also expresses the reality of settlement, of acceptance of the hosting space, which is then turned into a space for oneself, a home. Indeed, the presence of the masjid reveals that a place has been adopted as home, and that the believing conscience is "at home" because the place of worship, a reminder of meaning, has been set up. The Prophet's repeated act is in itself a teaching: whatever the exile or journey, whatever the movement or departure, one must never lose sight of meaning and direction. Masjids tell of meaning, direction, and settlement.

Compiled From:
"In The Footsteps of The Prophet" - Tariq Ramadan, pp. 83, 84
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30944238&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/Islam/?view%3Dusa%26ci%3D9780195308808

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #56 on: Jan 18, 2009 06:17 PM »

Daily Remembrances

Our daily remembrances, in and of themselves, have no healing or protecting power. Those remembrances are neither physicians nor guardians. They are merely a reason for us to enjoy Allah's protection and care. Allah is our protector and everything that happens takes place according to His decree. Allah indeed protects his devotees on account of their worship, devotion, supplications, penance and good deeds.

Our daily remembrances are just like our supplications. When we beseech Allah for something, and do so with sincerity, presence of mind, certainty of faith, and positive expectations, we know that Allah answers our prayers. However, Allah, in his wisdom may answer our supplications in different ways. He may give us specifically what we ask for. He may, instead, remove a harm from us that would otherwise have befallen us. He may also postpone the answer to our supplication and give its benefit to us in the Hereafter, when we need it the most.

Rain clouds are merely a reason for precipitation and not a guarantee of rainfall whenever they pass overhead. If Allah wills, the clouds will bring rain. If He so wills they will pass over and drop their rain at some other time and place. In the same way, our supplications and remembrances are a reason for our attaining Allah's protection and reward. It is Allah's will when and how He will answer them.

It needs to be said that when a person beseeches Allah with a distracted mind or with a pessimistic attitude, the supplication might not be answered at all.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Allah does not accept the supplication of an inattentive and distracted heart." [Sunan al-Tirmidhi]

The same applies to our daily remembrances. If we chant them ritualistically, without any presence of mind, we cannot expect to attain the full benefit of those remembrances. Our remembrances are essentially supplications. They are a means by which we beseech Allah, invoke His name, and remember Him. Therefore, if we recite the words of our remembrances insincerely, or with heedlessness or negativity in our hearts, we might very well be deprives of the blessings of our recitation.

Compiled From:
"Supplications & Remembrances" - Sami Al-Majid
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30949333&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id%3D1467%26main_cat_id%3D32

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2009 08:47 AM »

Knowledge of Religion

Study of the divine Law is a collective duty, except where it is incumbent on the individual, e.g. everyone is obliged to find out what God has ordained for him and what He has proscribed for him. This is a duty for each individual. As reported in both Sahihs (Muslim and Bukhari), the Prophet, on him be peace, said: "When God wishes a man well He instructs him in knowledge of Religion." If God wishes a man well He will inevitably instruct him in Religion, so if a man is not versed in Religion God does not wish him well. Religion is what God sent His Messenger to convey. It is that which a man is bound to believe and practise.

Everyone owes general credence to Muhammad's, on him be peace, report and general obedience to his command; then if a report from him is confirmed it must be believed in particular, and if one receives a specific order to a certain effect one must obey it in particular.

Compiled From:
"Public Duties in Islam" - Ibn Taymiya, p. 38

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #58 on: Feb 01, 2009 09:16 AM »

Reading about Rasoolah's (SAW) grief made my heart tremble!  Allahu Akbar!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Expressing Grief

During the tenth year of hijrah, young Ibrahim, who was then about a year and a half old, fell seriously ill. At the very time when the religion of the One was being established all over the Peninsula, with adversity constantly diminishing and the number of conversions continuing to grow, the Prophet, peace be upon him, saw his only son about to leave life and leave him. When the child eventually breathed his last, the Prophet took him in his arms and held him against his breast, tears streaming down his face, so deep was his sorrow.

The Prophet was intimately affected, and he did not hesitate to show and express his grief. He added: "The eye sheds tears, O Ibrahim, the heart is infinitely sad, and one must only utter what satisfies God." God had once more tested him through his humanity and his mission. He had lost so many loved ones - Companions, his wife Khadijah, three of his daughters, and his three sons. His life had been crossed with tears, but he remained both gentle with his heart and firm in his mission. It was this chemistry of gentleness and firmness that satisfied the Most Near. At the time when the world seemed to open up to the Prophet's mission, Muhammad's human fate seemed reduced to that tiny grave where Ibrahim's body was laid, and over which he then led the funeral prayer. The Prophet was one of the elect; the Prophet remained a human being.

Compiled From:
"In The Footsteps of The Prophet" - Tariq Ramadan, pp. 191, 192
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30959202&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/Islam/?view%3Dusa%26ci%3D9780195308808

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #59 on: Feb 09, 2009 08:28 AM »

Hoarding

Muslim in his Sahih reports on the authority of Mamar ibn Abdallah that the Prophet, on him be peace, said: "Only the misguided hoard." For the hoarder is one who buys up food which people need and keeps it in store with the intention of putting up the price. He is an oppressor of the buying public. Therefore the authorities are entitled to compel people to sell their stocks for fair value when they are urgently needed.

So, for instance, if someone has food he does not need while people are starving he may be forced to sell it to them for fair value. This is why the jurists hold that he who is in urgent need of another's food may take it from him, regardless of his wishes, for fair value. Were he reluctant to sell except for more than the regular price he would still be entitled only to this regular price.

Compiled From:
"Public Duties in Islam" - Ibn Taymiya, pp. 32-33
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30964560&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D231%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #60 on: Feb 14, 2009 08:50 PM »

Physical Complaint

The Last of the Prophets, upon him be peace, was indeed endowed with exceptional physical and intellectual powers in order to assist him in the most onerous mission ever undertaken. But his nightly vigils in tahajjud prayer and recitation of the Quran, his daily exertion in worship and labour, in unending Jihad, in bearing the problems of others, and all of this continuously for a full quarter century, increasing all the while and never subsiding, in addition to an amazingly light ration of food and drink - all of these factors contributed to wearing down his sturdy body and its decline in health.

In an authentic hadith it is related that whenever the Prophet, upon him be peace, had a physical complaint, he would recite over himself the last two chapters of the Quran and sufflate. Imam Zuhri, one of the narrators of this hadith, was asked how the sufflation was performed. He answered that the Prophet, upon him be peace, would blow into his hands and then rub his face with them.

Compiled From:
"Remembrance & Prayer" - Muhammad Al-Ghazali, pp. 116, 117

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2009 09:28 AM »

Higher Secrets of Life

The Sunnah shows us the best way to develop and use one's freedom of choice and action. It teaches us how to embark upon any action properly so as to ensure good and favourable results and avoid harmful and evil consequences both in this world as well as in the hereafter.

Ibn Masud, may Allah be pleased with him, relates that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "Adhere to the truth, for the truth leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to Paradise. A person continues to speak the truth until (at last) his name is written down with Allah as a truthful person. And avoid falsehood, for falsehood leads to shameful deeds, and shameful deeds lead to Hell. A person continues to tell lies until (at last) his name is recorded with Allah as a liar." [Bukhari, Muslim, Ahmad, Tirmidhi]

This hadith clearly tells us that before a man is recorded for eternity as a truthful person he has to go through a number of phases, each requiring his active initiative and a willing effort on his part without any external interference from any side. This is clear from the contrast portrayed in the hadith between man's state of choosing and abiding willingly and consciously at each and every step by the dictates of truth and his state of opting for the evil and persisting therein. Obviously it is man alone who decides which way he is going to move, toward the good or the bad.

Compiled From:
"Freedom and Responsibility in Quranic Perspective" - Hasan Al-Anani, pp. 100, 101

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #62 on: Mar 02, 2009 03:24 PM »

Ritual Slaughter

The Prophet, peace be upon him, did not simply command us to respect the ritual and say the formula "Bismillah, Allahu Akbar!" ([I begin with] In the name of God, God is the greatest!) with which animals could be killed for food. He required animals to be treated in the best possible way and spared needless suffering. As a man had immobilized his beast and was sharpening his knife in front of it, the Prophet intervened to say: "Do you want to make it die twice? Why didn't you sharpen your knife [away from the animal's view] before immobilizing it?" Muhammad had asked everyone to do their best to master the range of skills: for a man whose task was to slaughter animals, this clearly consisted of respecting the lives of the animals, their food, their dignity as living beings, and sacrificing them only for his needs, while sparing them unnecessary suffering.

The formula accompanying the sacrifice was only to be understood as the ultimate formula that, in effect, attested that the animal had been treated in the light of Islamic teachings during its lifetime. This formula was certainly not sufficient to prove that those teachings were respected: an animal slaughtered correctly according to Islamic ritual but ill-treated during its lifetime therefore remained, in the light of the Islamic principles transmitted by the Messenger, an anomaly and a betrayal of the message. The Prophet had threatened: "He who kills a sparrow or any bigger animal without right will have to account for it to God on Judgment Day." The Prophet thus taught that the animal's right to be respected, to be spared suffering and given the food it needed, to be well treated, was not negotiable. It was part of human being's duties and was to be understood as one of the conditions of spiritual elevation.

Proposing breeding techniques on a small, medium, or large scale; developing new types of slaughterhouses allying respect and efficiency; issuing legal rulings (fatawa) that, in some areas, more clearly encourage monetary compensation rather than ritual sacrifice (which remains a recommended act - sunnah) are all initiatives that may help the Muslim world to reconcile itself with the higher objectives and meanings of its ethics rather than hiding behind insistence on norms and means that guarantee only false respect of the requirements of Islam's message.

Ritual slaughter is a simple, day-to-day example, which perfectly reveals the contradictions within contemporary spiritual teachings. It emblematizes the whole problem: obsession with form regardless of substance, confusing means and ends, adoption of reform that is not suitable for transformation, and overdetermining norms while neglecting meaning: it is the heart of all contradictions.

Compiled From:
"Radical Reform: Islamic Ethics and Liberation" - Tariq Ramadan, pp. 236 - 238
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30978965&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780195331714.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #63 on: Mar 07, 2009 04:28 PM »

Real Life

Without remembrance one may as well be dead because during times of neglect, one is not remembering his purpose and therefore h e is not doing a useful act. Hence, the hadith of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), "The similitude of the one who remembers his Lord and the one who does not remember his Lord is like the similitude of death and life." (Bukhari, Muslim)

This real life that the Prophet is referring to is the life of the purified person who remembers Allah and recognizes his purpose in life. He does not wander about aimlessly not recalling why he is even existing.

There are two distinct modes of dhikr or remembrance of Allah. One is a constant and continuous form of dhikr wherein the person is always mindful of Allah as he goes about his daily routine and affairs. This form of dhikr, though, is developed and assisted by the more formal form of dhikr wherein a person remembers Allah at specific times via the means of specific words that have come from the Prophet. In fact, the most important of these formal means is the prayer itself.

Compiled From:
"Purification of the Soul" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, pp. 318, 319

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #64 on: Mar 15, 2009 05:08 AM »

Signs of Tenderness and Mercy

During the tenth year of Hijrah, young Ibrahim, who was then about a year and a half old, fell seriously ill. At the very time when the religion of the One was being established all over the Peninsula, with adversity constantly diminishing and the number of conversions continuing to grow, the Prophet saw his only son about to leave life and to leave him. He visited him every day and spent hours by his side. When the child eventually breathed his last, the Prophet took him in his arms and held him against his breast, tears down his face, so deep was his sorrow. Abd ar-Rahman ibn Awf, his faithful Companion, was surprised by those sobs, because he thought that the Prophet had previously forbidden such expressions of grief. At first, Muhammad could not speak; then he explained to him that he had forbidden excessive manifestations of distress, through wailing or hysterical behaviour, but not the natural expression of sorrow and suffering. Then he gave verbal expression to his grief that, in effect, became a spiritual teaching, as he declared that his tears were "signs of tenderness and mercy." he added a comment springing from his own experience, but which was also true in every Muslim's daily life: "He who is not merciful will not be shown mercy."[Bukhari, Muslim]

In the difficult moments of life, kindness, clemency, mercy, and the expressions of empathy that human beings offer one another bring them closer to the One, ar-Rahman (the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful). Through them, God reaches closer to the believer's heart, offering the believer what the believer him or herself has offered to a brother or sister in humanity.

Compiled From:
"In The Footsteps of the Prophet" - Tariq Ramadan, pp. 191, 192
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30987969&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/Islam/?view%3Dusa%26ci%3D9780195308808

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #65 on: Mar 20, 2009 03:02 PM »

Born Into Bounties

Free time is among the important bounties that Allah gives to mankind. It is during a person's free time that he can truly dedicate himself to studying, memorizing the Quran, helping the poor and all sorts of good deeds. The proper use of one's free time is a very important means of gaining Allah's pleasure in the Hereafter.

Unfortunately, much of modern civilization is dedicated to entertainment, enjoyment, pleasure and sensual gratification, as can be seen by the dominance and place of movies, sports, music, art, alcohol and so forth. A Muslim must be careful not to allow this civilization, with all of its supposed fun and glitter, to affect him negatively and allow him to waste his precious time. It is very easy, for example, for one hour of benefit-less television watching to turn into two hours, then three hours and so forth. It is very easy to be taken by the things of this world and to spend all of one's time enjoying and seeking the goods of this world. One should keep in mind the words of the Prophet (peace be upon him):

"The worst of my Nation are those who are born into bounties and nurtured in them. Their most important concern is the types of food and the types of clothing, while they are boastful in speech."
[Ibn Al-Mubaarak in al-Zuhd]

Compiled From:
"Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, p. 1555, 1556
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30993075&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.al-basheer.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item%3D10000

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #66 on: Mar 28, 2009 12:39 AM »

Dua for others

It is not that we have forgotten dua completely; we refer to it regularly. But, our ideas and practice regarding dua have become distorted. Often it is reduced to the level of a ritual. Generally it is considered when all our efforts have failed --- an act of last resort. It is belittled through actions and sometimes even with words. Is it any wonder that today mostly a mention of dua is meant to indicate the hopelessness of a situation.

What a tragedy, for dua is the most potent weapon of a believer. It can change fate, while no action of ours ever can. It is the essence of ibadah or worship. With it we can never fail; without it we can never succeed. In the proper scheme of things, dua should be the first and the last resort of the believer, with all his plans and actions coming in between.

We should ask for all of our needs: those related to this world as well as those related to the Hereafter. Those who only concentrate on the former are, in effect, announcing that they don't care for their life in the permanent abode. They should blame nobody but themselves for the total ruin in that world that Qur'an assures us awaits them. Those who only concentrate on the later are also showing lack of balance, for we need Allah's help to lead a good life here as well.

We should make dua not only for ourselves but also for our parents, brothers and sisters, spouses and children, relatives and friends, teachers and other benefactors, and destitute and struggling Muslims everywhere. We should pray for them for the good in this world as well as in the Hereafter. The Prophet said: "The dua of a Muslim for his brother (in Islam) in his absence is readily accepted. An angel is appointed to his side. Whenever he makes a beneficial dua for his brother the appointed angel says, 'Aameen. And may you also be blessed with the same.'" [Sahih Muslim]

Compiled From:
"The Power of Dua" - Khalid Baig
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30997540&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.soundvision.com/info/dua/powerofdua.asp

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #67 on: Apr 03, 2009 06:36 PM »

Troublesome Matters

No man as long as he remains alive, will ever be wholly free of trial. This is simply the nature of things in this world. Suffering uncovers human frailties and literally pushes the reasonable person to his knees, so to speak, at Allah's door, in quest of relief and the mercy of his Lord. The true believer is expected to seek refuge in Allah in every trouble which befalls him, regardless of how insignificant it may seem. The Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace, said:

Let each of you turn unto Allah in every troublesome matter; even when you are pained by the thong of your sandal, for even that is a trial.

In other words, they Must rely, in all of his affairs, upon Allah's assistance, and not suppose that any of these affairs can be settled except by His leave. The greater the misfortune, the more ardent the Muslim's desire for refuge in Allah, and the more protracted his entreaty.

Compiled From:
"Remembrance & Prayer" - Muhammad al-Ghazali, p. 91

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #68 on: Apr 12, 2009 04:13 AM »

Rejuvenating the Elderly

The Prophet's (peace be upon him) teachings establish a high regard and respect for the elderly and rejuvenate in them feelings of hope and vigour during the sunset of their lives. Anas reported that the Prophet said: "If a young man supports an old man because of his old age, God will definitely assign people who will respect him when he is old" [Tirmidhi]. In fact, the Prophet of mercy went one step further and joined the respect of such people with the worship of God Himself by saying "it is part of venerating God to respect the elderly Muslim" [Abu Dawud].

He once related that "the Angel Gabriel commanded me to give priority to the elderly. he taught that 'when serving food and (at) ceremonies, the old must be taken care of first.' He said: "Start with the elderly'" [Abu Yala].

The merciful Prophet's regard and respect for the elderly went beyond the boundaries of religion. On the day of Victory of Makkah when the Prophet entered the sacred mosque, Abu Bakr brought his elderly polytheistic father to meet the Prophet of mercy. When he saw his companion's elderly father, he asked Abu Bakr: "Why didn't you leave him at home? I would have gone to him" [Ibn Kathir].

Compiled From:
"Mercy: Prophet Muhammad's Legacy To All Creation" - Ibrahim H. Malabari, pp. 48-50
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31006211&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://compassbooks.ca/

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #69 on: Apr 21, 2009 08:39 AM »

Beseech not humans

The Prophet, blessings and peace be upon him, had sought a special oath from some of his selected Companions that they would not beseech anyone for anything. The result was that even if they were to drop their whip while riding, they would stoop to receive it themselves and not request anyone to pick it up for them. [Abu Dawud, "Kitab al-Zakah"]

The way to achieve this is to simply link all your expectations from whatever other human beings may possess or whatever may be in their power; and give up hopes regarding whatever might be in the hands of human beings!

"O Allah! Instil in my heart all hopes with Thee; cut off all hopes with ought other than Thee."
[Ibn Majah, "Kitab al-Zuhd"]

Most of the evils in human relationships, and most of the sorrows we encounter, are the result of broken expectations. By severing your hopes from human beings, not only will these relationships be freed from being hurt but you will also be able to rid yourselves of your grief and sorrow.

Compiled From:
"Dying and Living for Allah" - Khurram Murad, pp. 32-33
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31010687&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D285%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #70 on: Apr 26, 2009 04:09 AM »

Company of the Miskin

Ibn Majah reported from Abu Said al-Khudri and al-Tabarani from Ubadah ibn Samit, The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "O God, have me live miskinan and have me die miskinan and gather me [hereafter] in the company of the miskin." Some people read this hadith and understand al-maskanah to mean want of material wealth, with consequent neediness before other human beings. Now, this understanding of the meaning repudiates the supplication of the Prophet against the affliction of poverty [Bukhari, Muslim], and his asking from God, virtue and prosperity [Muslim, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah], and his saying to Sad: "Indeed, God loves the slave [who is] prosperous, God-fearing and not ostentatious," [Muslim, Musnad Ahmad] and his saying to Amr ibn al-As: "Excellent indeed is the righteous wealth of a righteous man!" [Musnad Ahmad, Al-Hakim]

What is meant by al-maskanah is as Ibn al-Athir said: "He meant by it lowliness and humility before God, and lest one should become one of the oppressors and the arrogant."

That is how the Prophet lived - far from the life of the arrogant ones, whether in look or form: he dressed as the slaves and the poor dressed; and he ate what they ate; and when a stranger came he (the stranger) was unable to distinguish him from his Companions for he was with them as one of them; and at home he mended his show with his own hand; and he patched his cloak; and he milked his sheep; and he turned a millstone to grind grains alongside the woman neighbour and the slave.

When a man entered to him and, being in awe of him, was trembling, he said: "Be at ease, for I am not a king. Rather I am the son of a woman of the Quraysh who used to eat dried meat in Makkah."

Compiled From:
"Approaching the Sunnah" - Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, pp. 32-33

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2009 05:31 AM »

Divine Silence

"God has set some limits, so do not transgress them; He has commanded some commands, so do not ignore them; He has made some things unlawful, so do not commit them. He has also kept silent (sakata) about some matters as a mercy toward you, not because He has forgotten them, so do not ask about them."
-Baihaqi, Tirmidhi

Clear-cut approach regarding rulings related to belief (aqidah) and worship (ibadah) is associated with a methodology that is indeed strict but essentially confident in the field of interpersonal relations and social affairs (muamalat).Taking human interests into account, alleviating the legal burden, and simplifying the system of rules must be constant preoccupations when considering and implementing scriptural sources.

The divine Lawgiver's silence is a mercy, a grace offered to human beings so as not to make their burden too heavy, but it is also a positive and trustful recognition of their human and intellectual ability to devise their own ways of being faithful to the message through time and the variety of places. Here silence eases conscience and summons the intellect.

Compiled From:
"Radical Reform: Islamic Ethics and Liberation" - Tariq Ramadan, pp. 69-70
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31019621&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780195331714.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009 07:12 AM »

Perfect Equilibrium

It does not befit a Muslim to overburden himself with work to the extent that it violates the rights of his soul, the rights of his family, and the rights of his society. This applies even if such exertion is in the worship of Allah, be it by way of fasting, Salah, sacrifice, or abstinence.

It is for this reason that the Prophet, peace be upon him, when he saw his Companions ever congregating behind him for the night vigil, said to them: "Take from work what you can, for verily Allah does not stop (rewarding you) until you get fed up (in worshipping Him); and verily the most beloved of works to Allah is that which is most constant even if it is meagre." [Bukhari, Muslim]

In another instance he said: "Verily this Religion (of Islam) is very easy. No one ever challenges this Religion but it overcomes him. So be moderate, and try to approach perfection, and receive the glad tidings." [Bukhari]

This, therefore, is the sunnah (i.e. constant practice) of the Prophet, peace be upon him, and this is his method: an open, plain, easy road of moderation and observance of balance between spiritualism and materialism; an equilibrium between the requirement of the self and the right of the Lord.

Compiled From:
"Time in the Life of a Muslim" - Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, pp. 29, 30

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2009 06:39 PM »

Tranquil Soul and Heart

The first source of knowing proper manners and good character is the revelation from Allah. In the Quran and sunnah, many qualities are stated and shown to be praiseworthy. The blameworthy qualities are also pointed out in numerous verses and hadith. A person should go to those verses and hadith and judge himself in the light of those teachings.

What about particular deeds? What about deeds that are not specifically covered in the Quran and sunnah? How can he judge his own deeds on a day-to-day basis and discover whether they are of good character or not? Al-Teebi has brought together two hadith that offer an answer to this question. In one hadith, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Righteousness is good character." In the other hadith, he said, "Righteousness is that concerning which the soul feels tranquil and the heart feels tranquil." So, good behaviour is that behaviour concerning which the soul is at rest and pleased.

Therefore, whenever a believer performs a deed or is considering doing an act, he should study the act. If he finds that his soul is at rest with that act, he will realize that the act is an act of good and proper character. Similarly, if the believer thinks about an act and his soul feels very good about that act, he should perform it as it is part of the good character that every Muslim should try to possess.

Compiled From:
"Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, p. 1026
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31028381&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.al-basheer.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item%3D10000

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2009 08:01 AM »

Tolerance in Ijtihad

"When a judge exercises ijtihad and gives a right judgment, he will have two rewards, but if he errs in his judgment he will still have earned one reward." [Abu Dawud]

This hadith evidently encourages the spirit of tolerance in ijtihad by promising a reward even for one who might have inadvertently fallen into error. Since the hadith has taken a positive view of such effort, scholars and mujtahids are also required to exercise restraint in denouncing a view which they might consider erroneous.

This hadith also lends support to the conclusion that a judicial decision that is made in the true spirit of ijtihad is enforceable and the judge may not be taken to task for it if it later turns out that he had made an error of judgment. Similarly, when a person trusts the integrity and knowledge of a scholar of Shariah and acts upon his verdict (fatwa) on a legal question but later discovers that the fatwa was erroneous, he would have committed no wrong, simply because the hadith exonerates an error of that kind in the first place. The reward that is promised is, however, earned only by those whose sincerity and devotion to a good cause are not in question.

Compiled From:
"Shariah Law - An Introduction" - Mohammad Hashim Kamali, p. 108
 http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31032622&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oneworld-publications.com/cgi-bin/cart2/commerce.cgi?pid%3D344%26log_pid%3Dyes

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: