// Understaing the Prophet's (SAW) Life
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understaing the Prophet's (SAW) Life  (Read 39841 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2009 08:10 PM »

Almighty's Wrath

The Noble Prophet, upon him be peace, met everyone in the same spirit. Most certainly, he had no desire to be a tyrant on earth or a king over men; nor did he ever entertain ambitions of personal grandeur. On the contrary, what he desired was for Allah to deliver him from the arrogance of the ignorant, and from the injustice of the aggressors. He frequently sought refuge in Allah from trials, envy, treachery, ignorance, all those things that detract from the dignity of a human being. Nonetheless, he was able to and did accept abuse or insults from others - for the sake of his attachment to the Lord. What concerned him above all was that he should never become the object of the Almighty's wrath. In his prayers he would often say:

"If Your wrath be not upon me, I worry not. But Your favour would be far from liberal."

Compiled From:
"Remembrance & Prayer" - Muhammad Al-Ghazali, p. 102

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #76 on: Jun 05, 2009 06:58 AM »

Fabrication for Material Gains?

Is it reasonable to assert that Muhammad, upon him be peace, might have claimed prophethood to attain some material gains? This question may be answered by looking into his financial status before and after prophethood. Before his mission as a prophet, Muhammad, upon whom be peace, had no financial worries. His loving and rich wife, Khadijah, may Allah be pleased with her, had made available to him all that he needed. As a successful and reputed merchant, Muhammad had a comfortable income. It is ironic that the same man, after his mission as a prophet and because of it, becomes worse off materially.

Describing their life, his wife, Aishah, may Allah be pleased with her, narrated that a month or two might have elapsed before fire was lit in the Prophet's house (to cook a meal), while the household subsisted on milk and dates. (Riyad al-Saliheen) After eighteen years of his mission, when Muslims emerged victorious, we still find a kind of revolt in Muhammad's household in protest to the difficult life characterized by a considerable self-imposed material deprivation. This incident took place at the time when the Muslim treasury was under his disposal (Bukhari, Muslim). Asked about Muhammad's bedding Hafsah, may Allah be pleased with her, answered, "It comprised of a piece of canvas which I spread double folded under him." Bilal, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Prophet never kept back anything for future use, that he spent what he had on the poor and needy, and that on one occasion, Muhammad received a gift of four loaded camels, yet he took nothing for himself and he further insisted that he would not go home until the whole lot was given away to the needy. (Riyad al-Saliheen) At the time of his death, and in spite of all his victories and achievements, Muhammad, upon whom be peace, was in debt, and his shield was in the hands of a Jewish citizen of Madinah as a collateral for that debt! (Riyad al-Saliheen)

One may then inquire: Are there any materialistic motives behind Muhammad's claim of Prophethood?

Compiled From:
Islam: A Way of Life and a Movement, "Muhammad's Prophethood: An Analytical View" - Jamal Badawi, pp. 69, 70

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #77 on: Jun 23, 2009 10:50 AM »

The Individual

Broadly speaking, Islam pursues its social objectives through reforming the individual in the first place. The individual is thus seen as a morally autonomous agent who plays a distinctive role in shaping the community's sense of direction and purpose. The individual is admittedly required to obey the government but he obeys the ruler on condition that the latter obeys the Shariah. This is reflected in a renowned hadith that

there is no obedience in sin, obedience is only in righteousness. [Tabrizi]

We may also quote here two other hadiths that substantiate the moral autonomy of the individual. In one of these Abu Dhar al-Ghifari reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, ordered him to

tell the truth even if it is unpleasant. [Ahmad]

and in the other he declared that

the best form of jihad is to tell a word of truth to an oppressive ruler. [Ibn Majah]

The dignity and welfare of the individual is of central concern to Islamic law. The five essential values of Shariah on which the ulama are in agreement, namely faith, life, intellect, property and lineage are all premised on the dignity of the individual, which must be protected as a matter of priority.

Compiled From:
"Shari'ah Law - An Introduction" - Mohammad Hashim Kamali, pp. 61, 62
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31045038&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oneworld-publications.com/cgi-bin/cart2/commerce.cgi?pid%3D344%26log_pid%3Dyes

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #78 on: Jun 25, 2009 08:29 AM »

Respecting Water

Creation is filled with signs that tell of the goodness and generosity of its Creator, and it is hence a sacred space: respecting it is akin to charity (sadaqah) or invocation. One day, as the Prophet, peace be upon him, passed Sad ibn Abi Waqqas, who was performing his ritual ablutions, the Prophet said to him: "Why such waste, O Sad?" "Is there waste even when performing ablutions?" Sad asked. And the Prophet answered: "Yes, even when using the water of a running stream." [Ahmad, Ibn Majah]

Water is essential element in all the teachings and ritual practices, for it represents the purification of body and heart, of physical outwardness as well as spiritual inwardness. But the Prophet taught Sad and his other Companions never to consider water, or any other element of nature, as a simple means towards their spiritual edification; on the contrary, respecting nature and using it moderately was already, in itself, a spiritual exercise and elevation, a goal in their quest for the Creator.

Compiled From:
"In The Footsteps of The Prophet" - Tariq Ramadan, p. 202

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #79 on: Jun 30, 2009 06:41 AM »

Lustful Gaze

Many of us who are used to watching Sinbad or Temptation Island, or are addicted to Hollywood/Bollywood movies, or enjoy the company of people of opposite gender, may wonder what’s wrong with lustfully staring at the attractive features of the opposite gender? Perhaps one saying of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) sums it all:

"The furtive glance is one of the poisoned arrows of Shaytan, on him be God's curse. Whoever forsakes it for the fear of Allah, will receive from Him (Great and Gracious is He) a faith, the sweetness of which he will find within his heart." (al-Haakim.)

Therefore, a secret lustful look at a person of opposite gender has been compared by the Prophet (pbuh) to an arrow from Shaytan that:

1.   poisons our hearts
2.   ruins our intentions
3.   gives rise to false hopes and desires
4.   distorts our perception of 'reality'
5.   deprives us from enjoying and concentrating in Prayers
6.   gives rise to constant feeling of guilt and depression
7.   sometimes leads to sleepless nights
8.   renders our heart weak for continuous Shaytanic attacks
9.   promotes hypocrisy
10. weakens our memory
11. eventually leads to Zina (adultery)
12. above all, diminishes our love for and fear of Allah

Compiled From:
"Watch Out for The Arrow" - Young Muslims Publications Download and Distribute
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31053429&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://web.youngmuslims.ca/resources/brochures/98-arrow.html
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31053429&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://web.youngmuslims.ca/brochures/arrow.pdf

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #80 on: Jul 04, 2009 08:46 PM »

Right and Wrong

Sometimes it is beneficial to command, sometimes to forbid. At other times, where right and wrong are mutually inextricable, it is not beneficial either to command or to forbid. It all depends on the nature of specific cases as they arise.

In equivocal cases the believer must seek clarification until the truth becomes obvious to him. For he may not embark upon an act of obedience without knowledge and intention, while if he leaves it undone he is a sinner, since it is sinful to ignore a necessary duty. It is also sinful to do what has been prohibited, however. The implications of all this are far-reaching and there is neither power nor strength except with God.

Under this category falls the concession made by the Prophet, on him be peace, to leading hypocrites and reprobates like Abdullah ibn Ubayy in view of their numerous support. For to have penalized him in some way for his wrong conduct would have entailed the loss of a greater good, through the fury and chauvinism of his tribesmen and through the aversion of people would have felt on hearing that Muhammad was killing his Companions.

Compiled From:
"Public Duties in Islam" - Ibn Taymiyya, p. 81
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31057730&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D231%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #81 on: Jul 13, 2009 09:33 AM »

Acknowledging Prophet's Favours

It is preferable to use the lucid, yet simply-worded blessings for the Prophet which have been passed down to us by the first generations of Muslims, rather than the affected, abstruse formulas for which missals have been written, group recitations convened, and names for the Prophet invented - names for which Allah has revealed no legitimation. Surely it is not the mere repetition of eloquent phrases that is important. What matters is one's acknowledgement of the favour done by the Prophet, upon him be peace, for the betterment of the believers, one's appreciation of the jihad he waged against the forces of ignorance, and one's allegiance to the nation which he founded in the name of ultimate truth.

This is the real meaning of seeking blessings for the Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace. And only those who give practical evidence of their appreciation of this meaning will receive the rewards promised to those who seek blessings for the Prophet, upon him be peace. Certainly those self-acclaimed 'lovers of the Prophet' who hollowly echo set phrases, yet who are unable to stand in defence of the Sunnah, cannot ever be eligible for such rewards. It is with regard to the defenders of the faith, those who truly appreciate the Prophet, upon him be peace, that this hadith is related:

Whosoever seeks blessings for me will be blessed ten times over by the Almighty

Abdullah ibn Masud related that the Prophet, upon him be peace, said:

On the Day of Judgement, the people most deserving of me will be those who have most often sought blessings for me.

Compiled From:
"Remembrance and Prayer" - Muhammad Al-Ghazali, pp. 104, 105
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31061353&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D327%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #82 on: Jul 21, 2009 12:11 PM »

Fasting in Shaban

Ayesha said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allah fast a complete month except for Ramadan, and I have never seen him fast more in a month than he did in Shaban." [Bukhaari, Muslim]

Usamah ibn Zaid inquired: "O Messenger of Allah, I never find you fasting in any month like you do during the month of Shaban." The Prophet responded: "That is the month the people neglect. It comes between Rajab and Ramadan. It is a month in which the deeds are raised to the Lord of the Worlds. I love that my deeds be raised while I am fasting." [An-Nasaa'i, authenticated by ibn Khuzaimah. Hasan according to al-Albaani]

Narrated Abu Hurairah, Allah's Messenger said: "When the month of Shaban is halfway, do not fast." [Reported by the five, Ahmad disapproved it].

As-San`aanee says in Subul us-Salaam: "One can fast provided he has to observe a compensatory fasting (in lieu of the Fard - obligatory ones) or the other prescribed ones which may be categorised as Wajib (compulsory). However, the volitional fasting is prohibited lest one should be subjected to exhaustion and weakness that may in turn render the Ramadan obligatory fasting difficult for him."

Source:
Islaam.com
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31065242&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://islaam.com/Article.aspx?id%3D106

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #83 on: Jul 29, 2009 08:49 AM »

Seek the Good in Everyone

We must recognize that every person who believes in Allah and in His Messenger cannot be devoid of some inborn good, however evil his practice may be. Involvement in major transgressions does not uproot a person's iman unless the transgressor deliberately defies Allah and scorns His commands. Here, as elsewhere, we have to heed the Sunnah of the Prophet, peace be upon him, who used to treat wrongdoers as a physician would treat a patient, not as a policeman would treat a criminal. He was very kind to them and always listened to their problems.

During the lifetime of the Prophet there was an alcoholic who was repeatedly brought to the Prophet and was repeatedly punished, yet still persisted. One day when he was brought again on the same charge and was lashed, a man from among the people said: "May Allah curse him! How frequently has he been brought [to the Prophet to be punished]?" The Prophet said: "Do not curse him. By Allah I know he loves Allah and His Messenger." It is also reported that the Prophet said: "Do not assist Satan against your brother." The Prophet prevented them from cursing him because their action could create discord and ill­ feeling between the man and his fellow Muslim brothers - his transgression should not sever the bond of brotherhood between him and other Muslims.

Deep contemplation of the above example and incident amply demonstrates the Prophet's insight into the inherent element of goodness in man. We need, more than ever before, to study and follow the exemplary pattern that the Prophet has set for us. Those extremists who indiscriminately accuse whoever makes a mistake of kufr or shirk must understand that they have to change their strategy and learn that a great deal of the corruption and perversion they abhor results mainly from ignorance of Islam, bad company, or forgetfulness. The solution is to help people overcome and defeat all these problems. To be harsh, to accuse others of kufr, and to find fault with whatever they do only serves to alienate and estrange them. A wise man once said: "Rather than cursing darkness, try to light a candle for the road."

Compiled From:
Islam: The Way of Revival,"The Ethics of Daw'wah and Dialogue" - Yusuf al Qaradawi, pp. 224, 225
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31069017&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://sitecreator.siteberry.com/Appdata/build/paltop.asp?GoForFeature%3DStore%26GoForAction%3DDETAIL%26Product_Id%3D431%26W_ID%3D1%26P_ID%3D3

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #84 on: Aug 03, 2009 11:09 AM »

Good Word

On the authority of Abu Huraira who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "A good word is a charitable act." [Bukhari, Muslim]

In this hadith one finds an excellent but easy means by which to spread happiness and perform a charitable act. Very few humans are without the physical and mental means to perform this act that is beloved to Allah and that should be performed as an expression of gratitude to Allah.

The expression, "a good word," includes many things. Sindi defines it as "any word by which Allah is remembered or any word which benefits any of Allah's creation."

The words used in making remembrance of Allah (dhikr) are good words. Verbally ordering what is good and eradicating what is evil are considered good words. Advising one's brother forms part of this concept. Speaking to the people in a way that makes them pleased and happy is also a charitable act for the person.

An advanced form of speech is one of the aspects that distinguish humans from the animal world. One should use the very important power of speech for what is good. A believer should either speak what is good or remain silent. To use one's tongue in any other way is a gross misuse of this great blessing of speech that Allah has bestowed upon humans.

Compiled From:
"Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, p. 1002
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31072167&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.al-basheer.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item%3D10000

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #85 on: Aug 10, 2009 10:22 AM »

Studying The Quran in a Group

Abu Hurayra, may Allah be pleased with him, related that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "A group does not gather in one of the houses of God Most High reciting the Quran and studying it together, except that tranquility descends upon them, mercy envelops them, the angels encompass them, and God mentions them to those in His presence." [Muslim]

The superiority of studying the Quran gathered together is related from many among the illustrious scholars of the early generations and the grand legists of old.

Your journey through the Quran requires that you seek and join a community of quest and study. No doubt you will read the Quran individually, but your benefits will multiply, if you join in fellowship with other believers and seekers after the Quran. In collective study, the states of the heart may be intensified, and many minds joined together may understand the meanings better and more correctly. And, only by joining with others can you live fully the lives inspired by the Quran and discharge the mission that reading it enjoins upon you.

Compiled From:
"Etiquette With The Quran" - Al-Nawawi, p. 52, 53
"Elements and Dynamics of Quran Study" - Young Muslims
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31076112&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://web.youngmuslims.ca/resources/studygroup/53-studygroup/113-quranstudy.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #86 on: Aug 17, 2009 11:51 AM »

Revelation's Key Message

Muhammad, peace be upon him, distinguished between situations and the people involved in them, and he showed the utmost respect toward individuals and their beliefs. For many years, a young Jew was his companion and followed him everywhere, for he loved the Prophet's company. The Prophet never asked him to abandon his faith. Eventually the boy fell seriously ill, and on his deathbed he asked his father to allow him to embrace Islam, but during all his time by the Prophet's side he had remained what he was and enjoyed the Prophet's love and regard.

Later on, as the Prophet was with a group of Muslims, a funeral procession passed by, and the Prophet stood up to show his respect for the deceased. Surprised, the Muslims informed him that this was a Jew's funeral. The Prophet answered with clarity and dignity: "Was this not a human soul?" The teaching was to remain the same in spite of difficulties, treason, and wars: no one was compelled to convert, differences were respected, and all were to be treated equally. This is Revelation's key message and the heart of it's Prophet's action; all the later verses of the Quran that refer to conflicts, killing, and fighting must be read in the context of their Revelation (Muslims being in a situation of war and needing to defend themselves) and by no means alter the essential contents of the message as a whole.

Compiled From:
"In The Footsteps of The Prophet" - Tariq Ramadan, pp. 90, 91
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31079841&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/Islam/?view%3Dusa%26ci%3D9780195308808

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #87 on: Aug 24, 2009 10:36 AM »

Source of Forgiveness

The fast is a source of forgiveness for one's sins. Hence, it removes the effects and stain of these sins from one's heart, leaving the heart pure again. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"Whoever fasts the month of Ramadan with faith and hoping for its reward (ihtisab) shall have all of his previous sins forgiven for him." [Bukhari, Muslim]

Al-Khataabi notes that the meaning of ihtisab means with resolve, hoping for its reward while being pleased to perform it without considering it something heavy or a hardship. Hence, the true believer for whom the fasting will have its desired effect of removing or effacing his previous sins approaches the fast with a desire and love for it. He does not consider it a burden nor does he participate in it lackadaisically, with some heavy burden on his shoulder, being lazy and complaining until it is time to break the fast.

Compiled From:
"Purification of the Soul: Concept, Process and Means" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, pp. 239, 240

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #88 on: Aug 31, 2009 08:50 AM »

Trusting The Maker

Jabir ibn Abdullah, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) use to teach us how to seek guidance in choosing the best option available in practical matters, just as he would teach us chapters from the Quran. If one of you is concerned about some practical undertaking, or about making plans for a journey, he should perform two cycles of ritual prayer, not as obligatory observance, but voluntarily. Then he should say: "O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best, through Your knowledge, and I ask You to empower me, through Your power, and I beg You to grant me Your tremendous favour, for You have power, while I am without power, and You have knowledge, while I am without knowledge, and You are the One who knows all things invisible. O Allah, if You know that this undertaking is in the best interests of my religion, my life in this world, and my life in the hereafter, and can yield successful results in both the short term and the long term, then make it possible for me and make it easy for me, and then bless me in it. O Allah, if You know that this undertaking is NOT in the best interests of my religion, my life in this world, and my life in the hereafter, then turn it away from me, and make it easy for me to do well, wherever I may happen to be, and make me content with Your verdict, O most Merciful of the merciful."

Also known as 'istikhara' in Arabic, the strength of this supplication lies in the humility of the one who seeks the guidance of his or her creator. Now, many will pray it dutifully when making big decisions. They may wait for a dream to come to them or some sort of sign that would show them without doubt what it is that they should do. And indeed that sign may come in a very tangible form. And yet, on other occasions, the answers you're looking for may not be entirely tangible. And this is precisely when you have to start trusting.

You need to start trusting in your maker, in His infinite endowments to you. You need to start trusting in your gut, your heart, and mind, because they will know the answers, by His will. We're able to start listening when we begin to trust that HE, too, is listening. And once we can believe that completely, we can become unstoppable, no matter what "unstoppable" may mean.

Compiled From:
"Release Your Inner Queen of Sheba!" - Heba Alshareef, pp. 112, 113
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31088091&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://hassayhouse.com/

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #89 on: Sep 07, 2009 07:10 AM »

Community Service

Rasulullah, peace be upon him, preferred to do most of his household work himself. He participated fully in community activities and shared responsibilities when he travelled.

Once, Rasulullah was traveling with his Sahaba (companions). In the evening the caravan stopped. They pitched their tents and began preparations for dinner. Everyone divided the various responsibilities, such as kindling the fire and slaughtering the animals for the meal.

A Sahabi told Rasulullah, "O Prophet of Allah, we are your companions and there are enough of us to care for the camp. You do not have to work. You should rest."

Rasulullah said, "No, I am no better than any other human being. I am one of you and I should participate in the work."
Then he chose the task of bringing wood for the fire. He walked out to the woods and returned with dry kindling. The Sahaba lit the fire and cooked dinner.

Rasulullah set an example for the community leader. In one of his traditions he advises the Ummah, "The leader of the community is their servant."

Compiled From:
Recorded in Al-Zarqani. "Stories of the Sirah (Vol. X)" -Abidullah Ghazi and Tasneema Ghazi, p. 11

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #90 on: Sep 14, 2009 06:22 AM »

Thankfulness in Hunger

When the Muhajirun (immigrants from Makkah) arrived in Madinah, they did not have enough money to support themselves. So they were divided into groups of ten or twelve and were welcomed as guests of the families of the Ansar (residents of Madinah). Rasulullah, pease be upon him, stayed with Abu Ayyub al-Ansari, may Allah be pleased with him. Abu Ayyub was not a rich man, but he did everything he could for the comfort of Rasulullah and his group.

The Prophet's group had a few sheep. At night, they milked the sheep and drank it, saving for those who were not present at the time.

One night Rasulullah arrived late and found no milk left for him. The Sahaba (companions) had not realized that Rasulullah had not had any. They felt bad for forgetting to save his share. Though Rasulullah never ate very much, that day he was very hungry. He said, "O Allah, feed well the man who feeds me today."

Miqdad, may Allah be pleased with him, heard this and immediately spoke up, "O Rasulullah. I will slaughter my goat for you."

But Rasulullah said, "O Miqdad, please don't do that. Our need for milk each day is greater than our need for meat today."

When Rasulullah tried to milk the sheep, just a little bit came out. He drank that, thanked Allah and went to sleep. The companions reported that Rasulullah said nothing and showed no anger about their inconsiderate behaviour. Rather he thanked Allah for the little he had to drink.

[Recorded in Musnad ibn Hanbal]

Compiled From:
"Stories of the Sirah" - Abidullah Ghazi and Tasneema Ghazi, Vol. VIII, p. 10

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #91 on: Sep 20, 2009 11:28 AM »

Cleansing the Hearts of Tarnish

Bayhaqi cited a hadith on the authority of Abd Allah ibn Umar, quoted directly from the Prophet, peace be upon him, where he says, 'Everything has its polish, and the polish of hearts is the remembrance of Almighty God. And there's nothing that better delivers from God's punishment than His remembrance.' And when they asked, 'Not even combat [jihad] for his sake?' he answered, 'Not even if someone smites with his sword until it breaks in two.'

Doubtless, a heart grows tarnished like brass or silver, and its polish is by remembrance, which may make it shine like a crystal mirror. So when one neglects the remembrance it tarnishes, and when he returns it shines. Since the heart is tarnished by two things - heedlessness and sin - it is polished by two things: remembrance and asking forgiveness.

Compiled From:
"The Invocation of God" - Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya, pp. 46, 47

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #92 on: Sep 28, 2009 12:43 PM »

Cruel Jokes

One day the Prophet, peace be upon him, was on a journey with his Companions. Each one of the Companions had with him his belongings including weapons, sleeping mats and food. They stopped over at a place and a man amongst them fell asleep. His friend turned to a rope he had and took it jokingly. When the man woke up and found the rope missing from his belongings, he was terrified and began looking for it. Thereupon the Prophet said, "It is not allowed for a Muslim to frighten another Muslim." (Abu Dawud)

Similar is the case with someone who jokes with you thinking that you will be happy, whereas in reality, he only harms you, or even worse, fills your heart with fright and anxiety. For instance, he notices that you have just parked your car outside a grocery with the engine running, so he comes and drives off in your car, causing you to think that your car has been stolen - obviously as a joke. The one on the receiving end of such jokes may respond courteously and may even laugh at the joke, but the fact remains that the joke was still cruel.

Compiled From:
"Enjoy Your Life"- Muhammad 'Abd Al-Rahaman Al-"Arifi, pp. 399, 400
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31101889&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://store.dar-us-salam.com/Eng_Character/239.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #93 on: Oct 05, 2009 10:27 AM »

Earning Love

Intelligent people are always hunting for opportunities to earn people's love.

Once Abdullah ibn Masud - may Allah be pleased with him - was walking with the Prophet, peace be upon him, and as they walked by a tree, the Prophet asked him to climb the tree and break off a twig to clean his teeth with. Ibn Masud climbed up the tree, since he was very slim and small, and began to break off a twig. Meanwhile, the wind blew, blowing his garment and exposing his shins that were very thin and bony. When people saw this, they laughed.

At that point, the Prophet said, "What are you laughing at, the thinness of his shins? By Allah, they are heavier than Mount Uhud in the Scales!" [Ahmad]

How good must Abdullah ibn Masud have felt when the Prophet defended and praised him after the people had laughed at him?

Compiled From:
"Enjoy Your Life"- Muhammad 'Abd Al-Rahaman Al-"Arifi, pp. 440, 441
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31105212&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://store.dar-us-salam.com/Eng_Character/239.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #94 on: Oct 16, 2009 06:56 AM »

The Best of Men

Violence against women is not an Islamic tradition. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) instructed Muslims regarding women, "I command you to be kind to women." He said also, "The best of you is the best to his family (wife)". The Quran urges husbands to be kind and considerate to their wives, even if a wife falls out of favour with her husband or disinclination for her arises within him. It also outlawed the pre-Islamic practice of inheriting women as part of the estate of the deceased.

Prophet Muhammad said, "Do not beat the female servants of Allah;" "Some (women) visited my family complaining about their husbands (beating them). These (husbands) are not the best of you" and "[is it not a shame that] one of you beats his wife like [an unscrupulous person] beats a slave and maybe sleeps with her at the end of the day." (Riyadh Al-Saliheeen, p137-140). In another Hadith the Prophet (pbuh) said, "...How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then he may embrace (sleep with) her?..."(Sahih Al-Bukhari, vol. 8, hadith 68, p.42-43).

Domestic violence is preventable by building our Iman (faith), remembering and implementing the commands of Allah and the example of His Prophet. Marriage preparation education and premarital counselling can help future spouses learn skills that will assist them in developing a healthy, violence-free family life.

Anger management, communication skills, stress management, decision making and problem solving skills are also very important life skills that can help to prevent domestic violence.

Compiled From:
"Domestic violence hurts Muslims too: Stop the hurt now" - Aneesah NadirAl-"Arifi, pp. 440, 441
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31108402&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.soundvision.com/Info/socialservice/stopdomesticviolence.asp

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #95 on: Oct 29, 2009 01:15 PM »

Moderation

One of the manifestations of extremism is an obsessive pursuit of fault-finding in others and making exacting demands of them. The Prophet, peace be upon him, condemned this in a hadith when he urged the Muslims to 'Avoid extremism (al-ghuluw), for people before you were led to destruction because of extremism in religion.' [Musnad ibn Hanbal] In another hadith, the Prophet rigorously spoke against the extremists when he said: 'Perished are the hair-splitters, perished are the hair-splitters, perished are the hair-splitters.' [Muslim]

When two of the Prophet's leading Companions, Muadh bin Jabal and Abu Musa al-Ashari were leaving as judges to the Yemen, the Prophet instructed them to:

"
Be gentle to the people and avoid harshness to them; bring them good news and scare them not [with gloomy predicaments]." [Muslim]

With regard to the implementation of penalties, the Prophet instructed the judges and rulers to 'Suspend prescribed punishment (hudud) as far as you can. For it is better to err in forgiveness than making an error in punishment.' [Abu Yusuf]

Compiled From:
"Shariah Law - An Introduction" - Mohammad Hashim Kamali, pp. 292, 293
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31111736&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oneworld-publications.com/cgi-bin/cart2/commerce.cgi?pid%3D344%26log_pid%3Dyes

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #96 on: Nov 05, 2009 09:19 AM »

Entertainment

Entertainment is indeed an important dimension of life, but it should constitute "a pause" between two more important things: its function is primarily to give rest to the mind, heart, and being, to divert them in Pascal's usage, so as to enable people to return to more important things, to their responsibilities regarding life, society, work, justice, and death. This is exactly the meaning the Prophet of Islam had given it when he had been questioned by his Companion Handhalah who, on the contrary, saw in entertainment evidence of his hypocritical disposition before God (since it led him to forget). The Prophet, peace be upon him, answered him: "By He who holds my soul in His hands, if you were able to remain in the [spiritual] state in which you are in my company and in permanent remembrance of God, angels would shake hands with you in your beds and along paths. But it is not so, Handhalah, there is a time for this [devotion, remembrance] and a time for that [rest, distraction, entertainment]." [Bukhari, Muslim]

Compiled From:
"Radical Reform: Islamic Ethics and Liberation" - Tariq Ramadan, p. 196
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31114859&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780195331714.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #97 on: Nov 09, 2009 08:23 AM »

Importance of Appearance

The Muslim personality is a distinct one due to its unique code of behaviour and manners. Your appearance, taste, manners, and character reflect your personality. Our master, the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, directed the blessed companions by saying, "You are on your way to meet your brothers, put on a nice dress and fix your saddles so you appear distinct among people as a mole [on a beautiful face]. Allah likes neither roughness nor tough manners." [Muslim]

When the Prophet said: "He will not enter Paradise who has a grain of arrogance in his heart," a man asked: "A man may like his dress to be nice and his shoes to be nice?" The Prophet answered: "Allah is beautiful and likes beauty. Arrogance is to deny rights and look down upon people." [Abu Dawud, Musnad Ahmad]

Shaikh Ibn Taymiyah said that the beauty that Allah likes includes nice clothes. Hence it could be said that Allah all nice things. Therefore, a Muslim ought to be recognized by neat dress, cleanliness and graceful manners.

Compiled From:
"Islamic Manners" - Abdul Fattah Abu Ghudda, p. 25
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31117741&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.awakeningusa.com/products/9

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #98 on: Nov 12, 2009 07:16 AM »

Praying Quietly

Once, the Companions of the Prophet, peace be upon him, were travelling, and loudly engaging in dhikr (remembrance of Allah). The Prophet Said:

"O people! Be gentle on yourselves, for you are not calling someone who is deaf or absent. Rather, you are calling the One Who hears everything, Ever-close."[Bukhari]

Ibn Taymiyyah delved into the wisdom of making dua silently, and mentioned a number of benefits to this:

Firstly, it is a sign of strong iman, as the person demonstrates that he firmly believes that Allah can hear even the quietest of
          prayers and thoughts.

Secondly, it is a sign of respect and manners in front of Allah. For, just as it is considered improper for the servant to raise his voice in
          front of his master, or the peasant in front of the king, even so it is improper that a slave raise his voice loudly in front of the Creator.

Thirdly, it is a means of achieving humility and humbleness, which is the essence of worship. The one who is humble does not ask
          except meekly, whereas the one who is arrogant asks loudly.

Fourthly, it is a means of achieving sincerity, since others will not notice him.

The companions of the Prophet understood the importance of saying a dua silently. Ibn Abbas stated: "A silent dua is seventy times better than a loud one!" And al-Hassan al-Basri said, "We used to be amongst a group of people (i.e., the Companions) who would never do any act in public if they could do so in private. And those Muslims would strive in making their dua, and not a sound would be heard from them! For they used to whisper to their Lord."

Compiled From:
"Dua: The Weapon of the Believer"- Abu Ammar Yasir Qadhi, pp. 86-89
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31120902&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.al-hidaayah.co.uk/dua-weapon-of-the-believers-by-abu-ammaar-yasir-qadhi.ir?cName%3Dnew-hajj-umrah

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #99 on: Nov 13, 2009 09:32 AM »

Do not Torture Yourself

One day, while the Prophet, peace be upon him, was sitting down, there came to him Umm Qays bint Muhsin with her newborn in order that the Prophet would
          chew some date and rub therewith the soft palate of the child for blessings (Tahnik), and pray for him.

The Prophet took him and placed him on his lap. It was not long before the baby urinated in the lap of the Prophet and made his garment wet. All the Prophet
          did then was to call for some water and spray over the affected area of his garment, and that was the end of the matter. (al-Bukhari)

He did not become angry or frown. So why should we torture ourselves by making a mountain out of a molehill? Not everything that happens to us must be to our liking 100%.
Some people cannot control their nerves and magnify the situation, including some parents and teachers.

Do not gather dust upon yourself when the dust is settled. But when the dusts have risen, then cover your nose with your sleeve and continue to enjoy your life.

Compiled From:
"Enjoy Your Life" - Muhammad 'Abd Al-Rahaman Al-"Arifi, pp. 291-293
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=31124009&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://store.dar-us-salam.com/Eng_Character/239.html

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: