// Understaing the Prophet's (SAW) Life
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: What is this precious love and laughter Budding in our hearts? It is the glorious sound Of a soul waking up! -Hafiz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understaing the Prophet's (SAW) Life  (Read 39957 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2008 10:13 PM »

Destroyer of Pleasures

"Remember the destroyer of pleasures - death - often. Verily, no one remembers it during straitened times in his life except that it makes the matter easier upon him. And no one remembers it during times of ease except that it makes the matter tighter upon him." - Al-Bayhaqi

When one feels disappointed by the lack of comforts in this world and then remembers death, he will realize that there is no real comfort or joy in this world for one to be depressed about. Hence, his affair will be made easier by remembering death. And, during times of ease and material comfort, when one remembers death, one keeps oneself from getting overly attached to and fond of these worldly items. The person will realize that such things are not necessities but it is faith and good deeds that are needed.

The believer must always be conscious of the fact that he is living in the shade of death. At any moment, death may overtake him. When this realization is clear in the person's mind, he will constantly be preparing for his death. And there is only one way to actually prepare for death: by performing good deeds and abstaining from evil deeds.

Source:
“Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi” – Jamaal Al-Din M. Zarabozo, Vol 3, pp. 1548-1549

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2008 04:50 PM »

A Woman of Paradise

Ibn Abbas said to Ata b. Rabah: "Do you see that black lady? She approached the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said: 'I suffer from epilepsy and during a fit, my body becomes exposed. So please supplicate Allah  on my behalf.'

"Then the Prophet said to her: 'If you choose, you might rather bear it patiently and you will attain Paradise on account of it. Or if you like, I will beseech Allah to cure you.'"

"She said: 'I will bear it patiently. But my body gets exposed, so please beseech Allah that my body will no longer be exposed.'"

"The Prophet (peace be upon him) beseeched Allah for this."

[Sahih al-Bukhari (5652) and Sahih Muslim (2576)]

The woman's name was Suayrah – though some say her name was Shuqayrah – al-Habashiyyah al-Asadiyyah. She was known as Umm Zufar. She had been Khadijah's lady in waiting. After Khadijah's demise, the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to show her extra deference and respect. When she grew older, she became afflicted with epilepsy, and her body would become exposed due to the severity of her seizures.

Here are five things we can learn from this incident:

1. We need to turn to Allah with our needs. It is Allah alone who can cure our ills and alleviate our suffering. Medical doctors admit that faith has a great affect on healing, often more pronounced than medications, though medications certainly can benefit us.

2. We also learn how virtuous the quality of patience is. When we bear illness in patience and fortitude, it is a means by which our sins are forgiven and by which we attain Allah's blessings and entrance into Paradise.

3. We can also see how the Prophet's glad tidings were a help and a comfort to her. It gave her hope. The role of a positive attitude in coping with illness and in aiding the recovery process is well-known.

4. We can see the respect that the Prophet (peace be upon him) showed this woman by his giving her the choice. He respected her right to make the decision for herself in a matter that affected her life. He let her know her options, while showing that he was well aware of the extent of her suffering. He knew it was best for her to be patient if she had the fortitude to bear her illness. However, he trusted her to make the decision for herself.

5. We can learn from this woman the value of modesty. We can see her concern for keeping her body from being exposed when she had a seizure, in her asking the Prophet (peace be upon him) to beseech Allah to protect her modesty when she was not able to control her movements and was free from all blame. We can also see how the Prophet (peace be upon him) readily complied with her request.

Source:
“Shouldn't I point out to you a woman of Paradise?” – Munâ al-Qâsim

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #27 on: Jul 03, 2008 02:48 PM »

Trading with Allah

"And everyone goes out in the morning and sells himself, either freeing or destroying himself." [Muslim]

Every day humans are faced with new situations. Every morning we get up to do something. Every day we are either going to obey Allah or we are going to disobey Allah. In essence, every day we are going to be setting ourselves free from the Hell-fire or leading ourselves to the Hell-fire and our own destruction. Even those who sit and seemingly do absolutely nothing are, in reality, actually leading themselves to some result.

The one who is successful is the one who sells himself to Allah or buys his freedom from Allah. Trading with Satan on the other hand can never bring about anything beneficial because, in reality, he has nothing to offer. All he can offer are delusions and promises that end up to be punishment in the Hereafter.

People sell themselves for money, power, lusts and so forth. Many times, they are willing to give up on their dignity for these things. In reality, they are simply selling themselves in exchange for the Hell-fire.

Source:
“Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi” - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, p. 894-897

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2008 09:23 PM »

Falsehood is falsehood

Abdullah Ibn Amir narrated: "Once my mother called me when the Prophet was present in my house. My mother asked me to come and said that she would give me a certain thing. He asked what did she want to give? She said that she wanted to give me a date (fruit). The Prophet (SAW) said: 'If you had not given him this date, then the committing of a falsehood would have been entered into your record of deeds.'" (Abu Daud).

Abu Huraira says that the Prophet (SAW) has said: "Anybody who called a child saying that he would give him a certain thing, and did not give it, then it is a lie." (Ahmed)

Adoption of straight dealing and telling the truth has been very strictly insisted upon, so much so that it has been enjoined upon to take care about this in even small household matters.

Asma Bint Yazid narrates that she once asked the Messenger of Allah: "If one of us women stated that she had no desire to have a certain thing even though she had that desire, then would it be considered a lie?" He replied: "Falsehood is written as falsehood, and a small falsehood is written as a small falsehood." (Muslim)

Source:
“Muslim's Character” - Muhammad Al-Ghazali

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2008 05:59 PM »

The Turning Point

It is not known exactly when the Night Journey and Ascension took place, but it was certainly before the Hijrah (emigration from Makkah) to Madinah. It was said to have happened either three years or 18 months before the Hijrah.

Al-Isra was a land-to-land journey that Allah Almighty caused His Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to make from Makkah to Jerusalem, that is, from Almighty Allah's Sacred House to Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Al-Miraj was a land-to-heaven journey from Jerusalem to the heavens. It was a journey to a place that no human being other than the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had ever reached [or has reached since]. It was a journey to the Lote Tree of the utmost boundary, whose place only Almighty Allah knows.

Such two journeys were a turning point in the Prophet's life and in the course of his call in Makkah, especially after all the suffering he (peace and blessings be upon him) had faced at the hands of the Quraysh.

Allah Almighty wanted Al-Isra and Al-Miraj be an alleviation and relief to His Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). He Almighty wanted to tell His Prophet that if the people of the earth had let him down, the people of heaven were there to support him; if the people of the earth had rejected his call, Allah Almighty would receive him and His Prophets (peace and blessings be upon them) would follow him and he would be their imam.

We must believe that Allah Almighty is with us and that He Almighty will grant us victory and make Islam prevail, as He, Most High, always supports the true believers.

That journey was an honour and compensation to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) from Almighty Allah. It was also a preparation for him to the following stage of his call. A few years later, he (peace and blessings be upon him) would migrate to Madinah, where he (peace and blessings be upon him) would lead a life of strife and jihad and confront the Arab tribes and other parties that would stand as one man against his international call.

Prophet Muhammad's being received by other Prophets of Allah Almighty in Al-Aqsa Mosque and his leading them in Salah (ritual Prayer) there indicates that leadership was moved to a new nation and to a new Prophethood.

Source:
"Al-Israa’ and Al-Mi`raj: Everlasting Lessons" - Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #30 on: Jul 26, 2008 03:43 PM »

Leaving Heirs Wealthy

Sad ibn Abi Waqqas, who wanted to make out a will giving away in charity everything that he owned went to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said to him: "O Messenger of Allah! I have a lot of wealth and only my daughter to inherit it from me. Should I bequeath all of my wealth in charity?"

The Prophet (peace be upon him) told him that he should not do so. Then Sad suggested bequeathing two-thirds of his wealth to charity. When the prophet again refused, Sad then suggested half of his wealth.

At this point the Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: "One-third, and that is still too much. It is better for you to leave your heirs wealthy, rather than leaving them dependent and begging from others.

Source:
Sunan al-Tirmidhi (2042), Sunan Abu Dawud (2480), Sunan al-Nasai (3567) and Sunan Ibn Majah (2699)

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #31 on: Aug 04, 2008 07:21 PM »

Clear and Succinct

When we talk during our visits, we should say only what befits the situation and be brief. We shouldn't prolong our speech, our talk should be clear, concise and to the point, we should not talk and talk and talk. Al-Bukhari reported that Anas said: "The Prophet's, peace be upon him, speech was clear and succinct, neither too long not too short, and he disliked chattering and ranting." Similarly Al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated a hadith in which Aisha said: "The Prophet spoke [so few words] that you could count his words."

Source:
"Islamic Manners" - Abdul Fattah Abu Ghudda, p. 51

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #32 on: Aug 09, 2008 10:06 PM »

Broken Vow

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: He who took an oath and (later on) found another thing better than that, he should do that which is better, and expiate for the vow (broken by him). [Muslim]

The expiation for breaking an oath consists of options in the order in which Allah mentioned them in the Quran (Maidah 5: 89):

1. Feeding ten poor person with the average kind of food that one feeds his family, or
2. Clothing them, or
3. Freeing a slave.
The one who does one of these things has fulfilled his duty and done what was required of him. If he is unable to do any of these three things, then he moves to the option of fasting, and he must fast three days.

The quantity of food that must be given to each poor person is roughly 1.5 kilograms (1/2 sâ`) of food. The total would be roughly 15 kilograms of food. Clothing a person is what is sufficient for a person to wear to prayer.

There is no country in the world without needy or poor people. Even in a wealthy country, a person who is poor and hungry is still poor and hungry. However, if it is difficult to distribute the food, or there is a fear of giving it to people who are not deserving, then one may appoint someone more experienced – like a charitable organization – to distribute the food on his behalf. One may even give that agency money to purchase the food or clothing on his behalf and then distribute it to the poor.

One may distribute this food or clothing in another country. At times, this may be the better option, especially when there is a famine or natural disaster somewhere in the world where people desperately need assistance.

On the other hand, it would not be good for the one expiating for the broken oath to decide to carry out that expiation in some poorer country as a means of saving money, since the cost of food in his or her own country – and consequently the cost of feeding the poor – is much higher than elsewhere.

Source:
Islam-QA.com
IslamToday.com

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #33 on: Aug 14, 2008 06:33 PM »

Fasting in Shaban

Ayesha said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allaah fast a complete month except for Ramadan, and I have never seen him fast more in a month than he did in Shaban." [Bukhaari, Muslim]

Usamah ibn Zaid inquired: "O Messenger of Allaah, I never find you fasting in any month like you do during the month of Shaban." The Prophet responded: "That is the month the people neglect. It comes between Rajab and Ramadan. It is a month in which the deeds are raised to the Lord of the Worlds. I love that my deeds be raised while I am fasting." [An-Nasaa'i, authenticated by ibn Khuzaimah. Hasan according to al-Albaani]

Narrated Abu Hurairah, Allaah's Messenger said: "When the month of Shaban is halfway, do not fast." [Reported by the five, Ahmad disapproved it].

As-San`aanee says in Subul us-Salaam: "One can fast provided he has to observe a compensatory fasting (in lieu of the Fard - obligatory ones) or the other prescribed ones which may be categorised as Wajib (compulsory). However, the volitional fasting is prohibited lest one should be subjected to exhaustion and weakness that may in turn render the Ramadan obligatory fasting difficult for him."

Source:
Islaam.com

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #34 on: Aug 16, 2008 10:47 PM »

Prayer of a Tree

Narrated by Ibn Abbas: "A Man went to the Prophet, upon him be the peace and blessings of Allah, and said, 'Last night, in a dream, I saw myself praying beneath a tree. When I prostrated myself, the tree prostrated too, and I hear it say: "O Lord! Write for me the recompense (of the prayer), delete because of it a sin, make of it a treasure for me, and accept it of me as You accepted it of the Prophet Dawud, upon him be peace".' I later witnessed the Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace, prostrate and repeat the words of the tree as related by the man from his dream."

Now, as is apparent, the man who had the dream had so completely absorbed the teachings of Islam that even in his sleep they gave fruit to his soul. But, more importantly, we learn that the heart of the Prophet, the Master, enveloped in the love of Allah, could be moved by anything spiritual so that it picked up the words of the dua ascribed to the tree, and retained them so that the Prophet could repeat them in his own prostration. Indeed, the harmony of the Prophets with their Lord is one that reverberates at the slightest touch.

Source:
"Remembrance and Prayer" - Muhammad Al-Ghazali, p. 144

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2008 07:49 PM »

The Most Virtuous Deed

The importance of the prayer in Islam cannot be understated. It is the first pillar of Islam that the Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned after mentioning the testimony of faith, by which one becomes a Muslim. It was made obligatory upon all the Prophets and for all peoples. Similarly, the prayers were made obligatory upon the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) during his ascension to heaven. Furthermore, when Allah praises the believers, such as in the beginning of surah al-Muminoon, one of the first descriptions He states is their adherence to the prayers.

Once a man asked the Prophet (peace be upon him) about the most virtuous deed. The Prophet (peace be upon him) stated that the most virtuous deed is the prayer. The man asked again and again. The first three times, the Prophet (peace be upon him) again answered, "The prayer," then on the fourth occasion he stated, "Jihad in the way of Allah." [This is from a hadith recorded by Ahmad and ibn Hibban.]

The importance of prayer is demonstrated in many of the Prophet’s statement. For example, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgment is the prayer. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is bad, then the rest of his deeds will be bad." [Recorded by al-Tabarani]

The importance of the prayers lies in the fact that no matter what actions one performs in his life, the most important aspect is one’s relationship to Allah, that is, one’s faith (imaan), God-consciousness (taqwa), sincerity (ikhlas) and worship of Allah (`ibaadah). This relationship with Allah is both demonstrated and put into practice, as well as improved and increased, by the prayer. Therefore, if the prayers are sound and proper, the rest of the deeds will be sound and proper; and if the prayers are not sound and proper, then the rest of the deeds will not be sound and proper, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) himself stated.

Source:
"He Came to Teach you Your Religion" - Jamaal al-Din Zarabozo

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #36 on: Sep 01, 2008 01:53 PM »

Social Relations

Islam gives great importance on social relations. The peace and stability of society depends on good social relations amongst the members of society. As such Islam has laid down detail instructions so that, social relations are properly maintained and not disrupted by wrong practices. The importance of social relations will be clear from the following saying of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

"Do not be envious of each other, nor backbite nor hate one another, but become brothers in the service of Allah." (reported in Bukhari, the book of tradition of the Prophet, SAW)

Islam has, therefore, made it unlawful for a Muslim to cut relations with fellow Muslims. The Prophet of Islam (SAW) has said, "One who cuts relations will not enter paradise." (reported by Bukhari)

The Prophet of Islam (SAW) has also said,

"It is not permissible for a Muslim to keep apart from his brother for more than three days. If three days pass, he should meet him and greet him, and if he replies to it, they will both have shared in the reward, while if he does not reply, he will bear his sin while the Muslim (who offered him the greeting) will have been freed from the sin of keeping apart." (reported by Abu Daud, a book of tradition of the Prophet, SAW)

Islam has also emphasised the need for immediate settlement of social disputes so that, peace in general prevails in the society.

The Prophet of Islam (SAW) has said, "Shall I not inform you of something more excellent in degree than fasting, charity and prayer?" On receiving the reply, 'Certainly', he said, "It is putting things right between people." (reported by Al-Tirmidhi and others)

Source:
"Social Laws in Islam" - Shah Abdul Hannan

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #37 on: Sep 07, 2008 04:32 PM »

Proper Planning

The Prophet (peace be upon him) showed us the importance of planning. He was meticulous in his planning, and in that way, he taught those around him how important it is to plan one's course of action.

One good example of this was how he planned his emigration from Mecca to Madinah. He decided on the route he was going to take, set a date for his departure, and he made sure to have a reliable guide and sufficient provisions. He arranged the matter with Abu Bakr, and made sure that they could leave from Mecca undetected.

All of this planning, and all of the precautions that the Prophet (peace be upon him) took, did not contradict with his utmost reliance upon Allah in any way. This is because a Muslim is supposed to take all the lawful and practical steps available and then place all of his or her trust in Allah to bring about the desired results. That is the true meaning of relying on Allah.

When the Prophet (peace be upon him) was asked whether it is better to tie up one's camel or trust in Allah to keep it from running off, the Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: "Tie up the camel and trust in Allah." [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (2517)]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) had the utmost faith in Allah, but this never prevented him from planning sensibly for what he wanted to achieve. This is a lesson for those who wish to disseminate the message of Islam to others. It is vital to have a well-thought-out program before embarking upon this noble work. In doing so, we are following our Prophet's example.

Source:
"The Importance of Planning & Persistence" - Muhammad b. Lutfî al-Sabbâgh

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #38 on: Sep 14, 2008 09:57 AM »

Voluntary Prayers

"Whoever prays twelve rak'ahs of prayer voluntarily in a day and night, Allah will build him a house in Paradise."

[Sahih Muslim 1/503]

"The first thing which the people will be called to account for of their actions on the Day of Judgment is their prayer. If it is in a good state, he is successful and has passed. If it is in a bad state, he has failed and has lost. Allah will then Say: 'See if there are some optional prayers that can compensate for the deficiency in his obligatory prayer!' Then, all the actions will be dealt with similarly."

[Sahih at-Tirmidhi 1/130]

"Allah Says: "My servant approaches Me with nothing more beloved to Me than what I have made obligatory upon him, and My servant keeps drawing nearer to Me with voluntary deeds until I Love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he seizes, and his foot with which he walks. If he asks Me, I will surely give to him, and if he seeks refuge in Me, I will surely protect him.""

[Fath al-Bari 6502]

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #39 on: Sep 20, 2008 12:34 PM »

Affairs of Worldly Life

The best understanding of the Prophet's Sunnah comes by investigation of the particular causes on which hadiths are based, or the specific occasion to which they are attached, specified in the hadith text or discoverable from the hadith, or understood from the actual circumstance to which the hadith is addressed.

An example of that is the hadith: "You know better the affairs of your worldly life." [Muslim] It is one on which some people base their evasion of the Legal injunctions in the spheres of economics, civic and political duties, and the like, because these matters - so they claim - are among worldly concerns, and we know them better, and the Messenger, entrusted them to us! But is this really what the noble hadith intends?

By no means. Among the purposes with which God sent His messengers is that they should stipulate for the people the principles of justice, the balanced norms of equity, and the regulations of the rights and duties in their worldly life, so that their standards should not clash, nor their ways differ. So texts of the Book and Sunnah have come which order and regulate everyday concerns - selling and buying, partnership and mortgaging, leasing and lending, and other matters - to the extent that the longest verse in the Book of God was sent down on the arrangement of a matter that is slight among the worldly matters, namely the writing down of debts.

The hadith is interpreted by the occasion that prompted it, namely the incident of the pollination of date-palms. The Prophet's indication to the people about this was his conjecture, for he was not an agriculturist, he had grown up in a valley not endowed with crops. But the Ansar supposed his opinion to be the way of a revealed or religious command, and so they abandoned the pollination. Its effect was bad for the yield. Then he said: "I was only conjecturing a conjecture, so do not take [from] me [what is] by way of conjecture..." to [where] he said "... You know better your own worldly affairs." And this is the story behind the hadith.

This requires profound understanding and subtle perception, as well as comprehensive, integrated study of the texts and mature insight into the goals of the Law and the reality of the religion. It also requires moral courage and inner strength to come out with the truth even if it opposes what the people are used to and what they have inherited. It is not an easy thing. This is the cost exacted from Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah by the enmity of the scholars of his time. They conspired against him until he was put in prison many times, and he died therein, may God be pleased with him.

Source:
"Approaching the Sunnah: Comprehension & Controversy" - Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, pp. 124-127

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #40 on: Sep 27, 2008 03:30 PM »

Replacing Bad Habits

Completely eliminating a habit is more challenging than replacing it with a more productive habit. Moreover, it’s crucial to replace the lost natural needs, such as the need to socialize and to be entertained with something healthy.

For instance, it’s easier to replace or balance your addiction to TV with a physical workout or reading, than to suddenly remove the TV from your life. Interestingly, Prophet Muhammad, the greatest ‘psychologist’ of humanity, illustrated this principle in these words:

“Fear Allah wherever you may be; follow up an evil deed with a good one which will wipe (the former) out, and behave good-naturedly towards people.” [At-Tirmidhi]

Source:
"16 Proven Techniques to Help You Kick Bad Habits" TorontoMuslims.com
http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=1049602440&msgid=30863843&act=216G&c=68038&admin=0&destination=http://www.torontomuslims.com/sharing/pub/changehabits.asp

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #41 on: Oct 07, 2008 11:00 AM »

Fasting Forever!

"Whoever fasts Ramadan, and six of Shawwal, it will be as if he/she has fasted for a whole year."
[Reported by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Ahmad, Ibn Majah]

"The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, used to fast Mondays and Thursdays".
[an-Nasai, Sahih]

"Whoever fasts three days each month, it is like fasting all the time."
[at-Tirmidhi]

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #42 on: Oct 11, 2008 12:49 PM »

Re-kindling The Vision

The starting point for inspiring and reviving a people is to cultivate in them a clear vision of Islam; a vision of what is required to be accomplished. The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, frequently made attempts to keep his Companions' minds focused on the vision of Islam. He took every opportunity to remind them of their purpose and objective. As an example, he advised one of his Companions, Khabbab Ibn al-Arat, when he complained about the persecutions the Muslims faced in Makka, during the early years of their mission, with the following words:

"By Allah, He will complete this mission until a rider will travel from Sana to Hadramawt
    (both are places in Yemen) and will have no fear but of Allah, and no worry but about a wolf that might
     harm his cattle - but you make haste."
[Bukhari]

This saying presents the vision of Islam for society and reminds Muslims that they must keep on working, irrespective of the adversities, for a better society that ensures peace and justice for all people.

Source:
"Building A New Society" - Zahid Parvez, p. 100

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2008 08:33 AM »

Realistic Method

The Sunnah of the Prophet, peace be upon him, does not regard people as if they were winged angels, but as human beings who eat food and live in the markets, who have their dispositions and passions, their necessities and their needs - just as they also have elevated spiritual aspirations and are elevated by them to the host of heaven. They were created from clay and moulded mud, but also there is in them a breath from the spirit of God. Little wonder then that a human being ascends and descends, that he makes progress and he stumbles, that he is guided and goes astray, that he stands firm and he deviates, that he disobeys God and he repents.

The Sunnah makes allowance for the reality of the human being and it relents from him when he lapses into disobedience. It does not close the door in the face of repentance. Rather, it opens it wide before him so that he can knock on that door, repentant and remorseful before his Lord. As in the hadith: "God spreads out His hands through the night so that He may accept repentance for the offences of the day; and He spreads out His hands through the day so that He may accept repentance for the offences of the night - until the sun rises in the west." [Muslim]

The Sunnah makes allowance for the different conditions of human beings, and the differences between them, whether innate or acquired. In consideration of such differences the Messenger would answer a single question from a number of persons with multiple answers - so he did not apply to an old man a ruling on the matter appropriate to a youth; or to someone in conditions of necessity a ruling appropriate to one in abundance and enjoying freedom of action. Similarly, he considered the customs of peoples and their diversity: so he let the Abyssinians play with their spears in his mosque on the day of Eid; and he let Aishah watch them from behind his shoulder. In the same way he urged the girls to come and play with her, as a concession to her being young. So too he made lawful entertainments at weddings, and at celebrations for the return of someone long absent, and other such occasions, as a concession to the need of human beings for amusement and recreations.

Many examples of the Sunnah inform us of the realism of this divine Prophetic pattern.

Compiled From:
"Approaching the Sunnah: Comprehension & Controversy" - Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, pp. 6-8

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #44 on: Oct 25, 2008 05:07 PM »

The Value of Time

Al-Bukhari, al-Tirmidhi, and Ibn Majah narrated, on the authority of Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with both of them, that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "There are two blessings which many people lose: Health and free time for doing good."

Time is a precious blessing and a great gift, the value of which is only realised and benefitted from by the successful guided ones, as indicated by the noble hadith, "which many people lose," implying that only a minority benefit from it, while the majority are wasters and losers.

Compiled From:
"The Value of Time" - Abd al-Fattah Abu Ghuddah, p. 6

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #45 on: Nov 01, 2008 07:44 AM »

Calm Temperament

The human mind works at its best when the surrounding environment is calm and settled. Likewise, it works at its best when the thinker's temperament is calm. When the human mind is beset with external or internal commotion, its powers become weak and it more easily falls prey to rashness and reckless passion.

It is a strategy of debate to get one's opponent angry, since once the opponent loses his or her composure his or her defeat is almost imminent, especially if one is able to keep one's cool and a smile on one's face.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) warns us that: "Anger is a burning ember in the human heart that is stoked up." [Musnad Ahmad]

The Prophet's conducts should remind us that just because we know we are in the right, this gives us no excuse to get angry. Indeed, if we are upon the truth, this should give us all the more reason to remain calm. Anger merely confuses things and makes it more difficult for us to think clearly and communicate our thoughts to others.

We should remember the Prophet's words: "The strong person is not the one who can throw his opponent. The strong person is the one who can keep control when angry." [Bukhari]

Compiled From:
"Calm" - Salman al-Oadah

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #46 on: Nov 08, 2008 10:22 AM »

Greedy Desire

The origin of all problems is greedy desire (shuhh). The Prophet explains this in the following sahih hadith:

"Beware of shuhh (greedy desire), for verily it destroyed those who came before you. It ordered them to be miserly and they were miserly, it ordered them to commit oppression and they oppressed, and it ordered them to cut family ties and they cut family ties."

Shuhh, which is the greedy desire of the self, causes miserliness by withholding objects of desire which have been acquired, and causes oppression by the taking of the property of others, and causes breaking of family ties, and it causes envy - which is to hate others possessing what one does not have, and wishing for its destruction. Envy itself entails miserliness and oppression, since envy is miserliness with that which one has been given, and oppression by wishing for others to lose the good which they have acquired.

Compiled From:
"Enjoining Right and Forbidding Wrong" - Ibn Taimiya

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #47 on: Nov 14, 2008 08:48 AM »

The Inner Power

Intention is the first step in the rational method of developing our innate power of free will, because it is intimately related to our freedom of choice and action and as such forms the very basis of our accountability. Intention is an inner power that abhors imposition of any limitation on its freedom.

One's intention is an integral part of one's life and no other man, however powerful, has any power whatsoever over another person's intention. The last resort of a Muslim when he is overwhelmed by difficulties is to save himself from the displeasure of Allah, the Exalted, by submitting his every intention to Allah.

In a sound hadith we read that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Whoever among you sees an evil should try to change it with his hands. If he is not able to do so, then with his tongue, and if he is unable to do even that, then with his heart, and this is the weakest form of faith." [Ahmad, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Nasai, Majah]

By understanding and following this psychological or inner mode of behaviour, a Muslim is able to achieve two things. He can:

1) Hold fast to the strong unbreakable rope of Allah, and
2) Preserve his freedom of choice and abide by his cherished beliefs.

Compiled From:
"Freedom and Responsibility in Quranic Perspective" - Hasan Al-Anani, pp, 170, 171

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2008 09:29 AM »

Ten Days of Righteous Deeds

Even for those not performing the pilgrimage, Hajj, the first ten days of this month are considered very sacred and a time for increased reflection, seeking Allah's forgiveness, doing good and various other forms of worship.

Prophet Mohammed (peace and blessings be upon him) has said about the first ten days of Dhul Hijja: "There are no days in which righteous deeds are more beloved to Allah than these ten days." The people asked, "Not even Jihad for the sake of Allah?" He said, "Not even Jihad for the sake of Allah, except in the case of a man who went out to fight giving himself and his wealth up for the cause, and came back with nothing (Bukhari).

While any good deed done for the sake of Allah according to the way He approves will be rewarded immensely during the first ten days, Insha Allah, some of the more specific actions mentioned in the Traditions of the Prophet are as follows:

1. Fasting

In terms of fasting, it is particularly encouraged to fast on the ninth day of Dhul-Hijja, known in Arabic as Yawm Arafa. The Prophet used to fast on this day (al Nisai and Abu Dawud). Fasting on this day will expiate a Muslim's sins for two years.

2. Dhikr

The verbal remembrance of Allah is another meritorious act during these first ten days of Zul Hijjah. The Prophet upon him) encouraged Muslims to recite a lot of Tasbeeh ("Subhan-Allaah"), Tahmeed ("Al-hamdu Lillaah") and Takbeer ("Allahu akbar") during this time.

The Takbeer may include the words "Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar, la ilaha ill-Allah; wa Allahu akbar wa Lillahi’l-hamd (Allah is Most Great, Allah is Most Great, there is no god but Allah; Allah is Most Great and to Allah be praise)," as well as other phrases.

Men are encouraged to recite these phrases out loud and women quietly.

3. Sacrifice

One of the good deeds that will bring a person closer to Allah during these ten days is offering a sacrifice, by choosing a high-quality animal and fattening it, spending money for the sake of Allah.

4. Sincere repentance

One of the most important things to do during these ten days is to repent sincerely to Allah and to give up all kinds of disobedience and sin. This means more than just a verbal expression of sorrow for past misdeeds. It also requires a firm resolution to avoid making the same mistakes in the future by giving up bad habits and behavior while sincerely turning to Allah.

Generally, all good deeds are rewarded highly at this blessed time. These actions include praying, reading Quran, making Dua (supplication), giving in charity and being good to our families.

Compiled From:
"The first 10 days of Zul Hijjah: why they matter" - SoundVision.com
"Virtues of the Ten Days of Dhul Hijjah" - Salih Al Munajjid

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #49 on: Nov 29, 2008 07:08 PM »

Greatness through Gratefulness

There is much more to gratitude and Shukr (thankfulness) in Islam than a mere “Thank You” that our ears have become so used to ignoring. Discover how you can be more thankful to Allah and His creation.

1. Say “Al-hamdulillah” (All thanks and praise belongs to Allah) often: A constant utterance of this phrase reminds you of the source of all blessings and happiness in this life. This practice of attributing all good actions to Allah keeps you humble and content and has a positive effect on your relations with people.

Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, has instructed us to say “Al-hamdulillah” on daily
    basis: “Allah is pleased with His servant if, when he eats something he thanks Allah for it,
    and when he drinks something he thanks Allah for it”
(Muslim).

2. Recite and memorize the Duas of Prophet Muhammad: The most natural and beautiful way to thank Allah is the words of the Prophet himself.

The Prophet told Muadh, “By Allah, I love you, so do not forget to say at the end of every
    prayer, ‘O Allah, help me to remember You and to give thanks to You and to worship You well’”

(Ahmad and At-Tirmidhî).

3. Use and display Allah’s blessings moderately: Part of being grateful to Allah is to look presentable and clean, and spend money on yourself with moderation.

Abul-Akhwas narrated that his father said: “I came to the Messenger of Allah looking dishevelled and
    scruffy. He asked me, ‘Do you have any possessions?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ He asked me what sort, and I told him,
    ‘I have all sorts. Allah has given me camels, horses, slaves and sheep.’ The Prophet said:
    ‘If Allah has given you all of that then let Him see His blessing on you.’”

4. Thank people for littlest things: People like to be appreciated for little favours they do for us, which often get ignored in our busy routines. When was the last time you thanked your little son for taking care of simple chore for you? Has your husband heard a compliment from you lately?

Take the time to thank them for their thoughtfulness. As the Prophet stated, “The one who
    does not give thanks for a small blessing will not give thanks for a great blessing, and the one who does
    not give thanks to people will not give thanks to Allah”
[/color][/b] (Abu Dunya).

Compiled From:
"18 Ways to Achieve Greatness through Gratefulness" - Taha Ghayyur

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: