// Do Muslim women need liberating?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Work harder on yourself than you do on your job.- Jim Rohn
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Muslim women need liberating?  (Read 742 times)
nuh
« on: Jul 15, 2008 12:40 AM »

We certainly need more freedom to question our faith without being accused of rejecting it

by Nesrine Malik
Guardian

I attended a session at IslamExpo at the weekend on a topic that keeps coming up: "Do Muslim women need liberating?" I expected that there would be the usual preoccupation with defending the faith and restating that Islam does not oppress women. But I was pleasantly surprised to listen to open criticism of indigenous culture in the Muslim world and a more profound examination of the role Muslim women themselves play in their own oppression.

Merve Kavakç? - the former Turkish politician - claimed the modern evaluation of the situation of Muslim women was inherently biased. She believes there is a Western assumption that Muslim women are subjugated, which is attributed to Islam - a non sequiteur in her view, since while Muslim women do need to be liberated, it is not from the religion but from their indigenous culture. This is a crucial point: it's worth noting, for example, that female circumcision - the biggest stain on Islam's reputation - is predominant in Egypt, a secular country, and virtually non-existent in Saudi Arabia. The distinguishing factor is the different cultures in both countries.

(more)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jul/14/women.islam

UN
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2008 10:07 AM »

-

We certainly need more freedom to question our faith without being accused of rejecting it

by Nesrine Malik
Guardian

Islam has its share of hypocrites, so much so that Allah revealed Surah Munafiqoon.

Hypocrites were at the time of Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) and they are in our times also, doing their job -that is to distinguish light of Islam. But Alah has promised Islam will prevail.

Holy Quran  Surah Al-Munafiqun (The Hypocrites)

1. When the hypocrites come to you (O Muhammad ), they say: "We bear witness that you are indeed the Messenger of All?h." All?h knows that you are indeed His Messenger and All?h bears witness that the hypocrites are liars indeed.

2. They have made their oaths a screen (for their hypocrisy). Thus they hinder (men) from the Path of All?h. Verily, evil is what they used to do.

3. That is because they believed, then disbelieved, therefore their hearts are sealed, so they understand not.

4. And when you look at them, their bodies please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as blocks of wood propped up. They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies, so beware of them. May All?h curse them! How are they denying (or deviating from) the Right Path.

5. And when it is said to them: "Come, so that the Messenger of All?h may ask forgiveness from All?h for you", they turn aside their heads, and you would see them turning away their faces in pride.

6. It is equal to them whether you (Muhammad ) ask forgiveness or ask not forgiveness for them. Verily, All?h guides not the people who are the F?siq?n (rebellious, disobedient to All?h) .

7. They are the ones who say: "Spend not on those who are with All?h's Messenger, until they desert him." And to All?h belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth, but the hypocrites comprehend not.

8.  They (hyprocrites) say: "If we return to Al-Madinah, indeed the more honourable ('Abd?llah bin Ubai bin Salul, the chief of hyprocrites at Al?Madinah) will expel therefrom the meaner (i.e. All?h's Messenger )." But honour, power and glory belong to All?h, His Messenger (Muhammad ), and to the believers, but the hypocrites know not.

9. O you who believe! Let not your properties or your children divert you from the remembrance of All?h. And whosoever does that, then they are the losers.

10. And spend (in charity) of that with which We have provided you, before death comes to one of you and he says: "My Lord! If only You would give me respite for a little while (i.e. return to the worldly life), then I should give Sadaqah (i.e. Zak?t) of my wealth , and be among the righteous [i.e. perform Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah)].

11. And All?h grants respite to none when his appointed time (death) comes. And All?h is All-Aware of what you do.

Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2008 01:11 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Hypocrisy is not to be judged by others, rather it is Allah alone who knows the secrets of the hearts.  We can judge by outward acts and statements.  Liberation ideology is contrary to the spirit of Islam, which is surrendering to Allah's (God's) will as explained by the Prophet, may Allah be pleased with him, and the rightly guided scholars of this Ummah.

As for sister Merve Kavakci, what I know of her is that she is a follower of the Sunnah, and her father is a well-respected Imam in Texas, and that she suffered terribly at the hands of opponents to Islam and feminists in her struggle to wear the Hijab.

May Allah reward her for her struggles and keep her and all of our sisters firm on the Sunnah of Allah's Messenger, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: