// Interfaith forum begins today
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "My son, exchange gifts, it will bring about love between you." - Anas talking to Thabit (May Allah be pleased with them)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfaith forum begins today  (Read 1520 times)
nuh
« on: Jul 16, 2008 12:45 PM »

Arab News
Badea Abu Al-Naja

MADRID: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah will open here today an international interfaith conference that aims to allow representatives of the world’s great religions to get to know each other.

The Muslim World League (MWL) has organized the World Conference on Dialogue on the directives of King Abdullah. The king “has been calling for this type of dialogue between religions for the past three years,” Saleh Al-Namlah, undersecretary at the Saudi Ministry of Culture and Information, told reporters.

Around 200 people are expected to attend the event. They include representatives of the world’s major religions: Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism. Secretary-General of the World Jewish Congress Michael Schneider and Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, who is in charge of dialogue between the Vatican and Muslims, are prominent among them.

(more)

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=4&section=0&article=111881&d=16&m=7&y=2008
UN
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008 05:36 AM »

When Islam was revealed to Prophet (peace be upon him) religions " Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism, etc." were there.

Now if these religions "Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism, etc" are valid and good, as calimed by some Muslims (read hypocrites) promoting and participating in inter-faith dialog, then why was Islam revealed, why did Prophet (peace be upon him) and his companions (may Allah be pleased with them) endured pain and insult for Islam?

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2008 06:54 AM »

salam,

participating in inter-faith dialog does not mean you are converting or saying "every religion is right". it's the sharing of one's faith with others and respecting others for their choices, whether we feel they are right or wrong. rasulillah saw was in this respect the first one to start inter-faith dialogue.

ws
UN
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2008 05:22 AM »

salam,

participating in inter-faith dialog does not mean you are converting or saying "every religion is right". it's the sharing of one's faith with others and respecting others for their choices, whether we feel they are right or wrong.

A muslim cannot respect a Christian for his beliefs that (i seek refuge in Allah from writing this) "God has begotten a son" and any one who does that is a christian and not a muslim.

A muslim cannot respect a Hindu for worshipping lingam (i.e. penis) and other sexual organs and idols and if any muslim does that he/she is not a muslim.

And similarly for other religions.

By respecting a non-believer a person is acting trechrously to non-muslims because a muslim he knows they will eternally goto hell and even then he/she doesnot try to save them from hell.

What will these inter-faith dialogs achieve at the end may be clear from following Hadith.

Sunan Abu-Dawud Book 35, Number 4230:
Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar: When we were sitting with the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), he talked about periods of trial (fitnahs), mentioning many of them. When he mentioned the one when people should stay in their houses, some asked him: Apostle of Allah, what is the trial (fitnah) of staying at home? He replied: It will be flight and plunder. Then will come a test which is pleasant. Its murkiness is due to the fact that it is produced by a man from the people of my house, who will assert that he belongs to me, whereas he does not, for my friends are only the God?fearing. Then the people will unite under a man who will be like a hip?bone on a rib. Then there will be the little black trial which will leave none of this community without giving him a slap, and when people say that it is finished, it will be extended. During it a man will be a believer in the morning and an infidel in the evening, so that the people will be in two camps: the camp of faith which will contain no hypocrisy, and the camp of hypocrisy which will contain no faith. When that happens, expect the Antichrist (Dajjal) that day or the next.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008 12:21 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.  This is a very challenging question:  how and where do we engage in dialogue, what are its limits, what is the vision and goal from such interactions?

After a lengthy discourse with some brothers involved in community leadership in the West, we came to the following conclusion:

The intention is the critical issue.  We must have the right intention, in accordance with the Sunnah.  When the Prophet, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him, engaged others, it was for one purpose:  The raise the word of La illaha illah Allah, Muhammadur Rasulallah throughout the universe.  This is the call of Islam, the call of Tawheed.  This is the intention we must have when engaging others, to call them to submit to the Kalimah for which this universe exists.

May Allah guide us to raise His Word High throughout the Universe.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
nuh
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2008 11:46 AM »

Mixed views on Saudi interfaith forum

By Christopher Landau
BBC religious arrairs correspondent, Madrid

A major gathering of the world's religious leaders has called on governments to combat the association between religion and terrorism and promote constructive dialogue between those of religious faith.

In a communique issued at the end of the conference in Madrid, religious leaders affirmed their shared concern for family life and the environment, and urged the United Nations to hold a special session on dialogue between religions and cultures.

The World Conference on Dialogue was the personal initiative of the King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, and organised by the Saudi-based Muslim World League.

Critics have challenged the forum's organisers on the lack of female speakers and the absence of any Jewish delegates from Israel.

'New page'

In spite of such criticisms, the gathering remained unique in its scope, with Catholic priests rubbing shoulders with Buddhist monks, Islamic leaders and Jewish rabbis as well as those of several other faiths.

King Abdullah began the conference by telling delegates that he brought them a message from a meeting of Islamic leaders last month.

He said it was "a message that declares that Islam is the religion of moderation and tolerance, a message that calls for constructive dialogue among followers of religions, and a message that promises to open up a new page for mankind, in which concord will replace conflict".

(more)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7515495.stm
UN
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2008 05:48 AM »

"King Abdullah began the conference by telling delegates that he brought them a message from a meeting of Islamic leaders last month.

He said it was "a message that declares that Islam is the religion of moderation and tolerance, ......."

King talks of toleration but he cannot tolerate even a supplication (dua) to Allah and arrests imams if he doesnot like the supplication. Isn't it hypocrisy?

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2008 10:25 AM »

A muslim cannot respect a Christian for his beliefs that (i seek refuge in Allah from writing this) "God has begotten a son" and any one who does that is a christian and not a muslim.

A muslim cannot respect a Hindu for worshipping lingam (i.e. penis) and other sexual organs and idols and if any muslim does that he/she is not a muslim.

Yes they can. Respecting someone and believing in freedom religion is inherent in Islam. Do you think the prophet (saw) never respected his Uncle Abu Talib? He was not even one of the poeple of the book? As you are not a scholar I suggest you refrain from declaring who IS and who ISN'T a Muslim.

I can link to hundreds of hadith and quran and quote them left and right to support this as you do, but I'll refrain. I suggest YOU go ask a scholar instead of trying to come to your own opinions about this issue.

nuh
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2008 12:22 PM »

Rabbi: What I saw at Saudi-led interfaith conference in Spain
By David Rosen    Published: 07/29/2008

MADRID (JTA) -- When King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia announced his intention some three months ago to reach out to the leaders of the main religions of the world to convene an interfaith dialogue and to work together to address major global challenges, understandably there was no shortage of skepticism.

Saudi Arabia is the heartland of Islam and arguably the most conservative of Muslim countries. Freedom of worship is not granted to other religions in Saudi Arabia, where the dominant brand of Islam is Wahhabism -- or, more precisely, Salafism -- which has a far more insular approach than other forms.

However, there appeared to be some obvious reasons why the king would want to take such an initiative. Aside from the need to improve the image of Islam in the West and that of his country in particular, at stake were the regional strategic factors that contribute to Saudi Arabia’s sense that the country needs to assert what it sees as its leadership role in the Muslim world.

In typically cautious fashion, King Abdullah first convened a pan-Islamic conference to discuss this venture, and while there were Muslim criticisms, he received widespread backing in much of the Islamic world. However, some who did not attend the conference expressed strong opposition to the whole idea of interfaith dialogue, especially to inviting members of other faiths to Saudi Arabia.

Probably for this reason, or at least in order to proceed as tactically secure as possible, the decision was taken to hold the multifaith gathering in Spain while indicating that it was the first such conference and hinting at future gatherings in Saudi Arabia itself.

(more)

http://www.jta.org/cgi-bin/iowa/news/article/2008072920080229spainabdullah.html
UN
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2008 12:36 PM »

Yes they can. Respecting someone and believing in freedom religion is inherent in Islam. Do you think the prophet (saw) never respected his Uncle Abu Talib? He was not even one of the poeple of the book? As you are not a scholar I suggest you refrain from declaring who IS and who ISN'T a Muslim.

I can link to hundreds of hadith and quran and quote them left and right to support this as you do, but I'll refrain. I suggest YOU go ask a scholar instead of trying to come to your own opinions about this issue.

Muslims gets their guidance from Quran and Sunnah. He doesnot agree on anything else. Above you have put some phrases, for a Muslim they are just jumbled words and letters unless justified by Quran and Hadith.

[When Allah and His Messenger have decided something, it is not for any man or woman of the believers to have a choice about it. Anyone who disobeys Allah and His Messenger is clearly misguided.](Al-Ahzab 33:36)

You commented "Do you think the prophet (saw) never respected his Uncle Abu Talib?". Now i ask you Did Prophet (peace be upon him) ever respected Abu Talib for his beliefs?

What my point was, a Muslim cannot respect a person for being a christian or being a hindu, etc. Respecting a person for his beliefs means respecting his/her beliefs. Anyone who repects belief like (i seek refuge in Allah again from writing this) "God has begotten a son" and other such infidel beliefs is surely not a Muslim and you need not be a scholar to come to this conclusion. This is the basics of faith if one does not have this much basic knowledge how can he/she have faith.

Now i fear if you respect person (and sects like) Ghulam Ahmed Qadyan for his claim of being a (nouzbillah) nabi.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: