// Household chores?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.” Malcolm X quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Household chores?  (Read 1889 times)
wired-up
« on: Jul 20, 2008 08:55 AM »

Assalamualaikum ..

can please anyone give me point -wise advice how to LOVE doing chores ?Lots of problems since i'd rather be online all day than do laundry ,dishes ,cooking , vacuuming ,mopping(rarely bother with the last two).

I really need to learn to be responsible in running the house .I find these tasks really boring .....Help?Smiley

massalama
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2008 08:37 PM »

asak
I can't teach you to love it... but there is a great feeling I get when i sit down and know everything is done and looks good.

Back in the day when I loved being on the computer I have to admit my housework suffered. i resolved this by promising I would not get on until everything was done. Even dinner. This really worked and motivated me. 

One piece of advice. Clean one room a day. 30 minutes max? All the other rooms get a quick tidying. If you keep this up- by the end of the week you will have a nicely kept home.

Turn on the Nasheeds and sing along... makes the time go much faster.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2008 12:11 AM »

salam

Cook early in the morning straight after breakfast, and wash all dishes and straighten the kitchen up as you go along, put all food in the fridge and take it out when you want to eat.

Vacuum rooms once a week (on a weekend preferrably), however if there is one room which is much used ie in our case the dining room where we eat and the girls play, then vacuum immediately after meals, keep the vacuum handy so you don't have to get it out from some obscure place, if it's there in front of you, you are more likely to use it than if its tucked away out of sight somewhere.

I do laundry once a week, there's nothing nicer than clean fresh smelling bedsheets to lie on....

You're never going to love cleaning unless you get a cleaner and cook. But if you get into a routine where you get everything done quickly and early in the morning you will then have the rest of the day to surf the net...btw do you have children, give them set chores and make sure they do them, my girls clear up their toys and put their dishes in the sink. Cant really expect much more from them yet as they're too young.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2008 08:02 PM »

put nasheeds/tv on.  When you clean everyday it wont pile up and house wont get dirty. 

I do dishes once a day after dinner.  I try to clean the house every morning.

I hate cleaning bathrooms but what keeps me going is the fact that I m getting physical exercise! vaccuming and mopping also have the same advantage.

I do laundry twice a wk so it gets completely full and use less energy. then my son takes everything out from the dryer, fold s and puts all away into place:)

make a routine(not that i do , but try to!) and make it regular, bc then w little effort your house will stay clean!

It s also a good idea after every three months or so to clean the vents, on top of fans, behind fridge and stove, and all the outside window. Change sheets ect
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2008 08:43 PM »

asak
Here is a copy and paste schedule i like... not that i stick to it.... somethings i do more often as needed.
Here's the scoop on what to clean and how often:

EVERY DAY 
       Put things away when you finish using them.
       Wash dishes, wipe kitchen counters, clean up stove spills, and empty trash as needed.
       Squeegee showers after use to prevent mineral deposits and mildew.
       Wipe sinks.
       Make beds and straighten rooms.
 TWICE A WEEK 
       Dust-mop hardwod floors to prevent scratching from dirt.
       Put away clutter.
       Vacuum if you live in a dusty region or have children and pets that track in lots of dirt. Otherwise, weekly vacuuming should suffice.
 ONCE A MONTH 
       Wipe or vacuum baseboards and blinds.
       Sweep the garage, patio, and walkways.
       Vacuum upholstered furniture with the brush attachment.
       Clean ceiling fixtures in one room per month (rotate).
      Wash throw rugs.
       Dust ceiling fans.
 EVERY THREE MONTHS 
       Polish wood furniture.
       Remove cobwebs from ceiling corners, stairwells, and such.
       Change or clean furnace and air-conditioner filters (less frequently in low-use seasons).
      Clean the oven (monthly if grunge builds up quickly).

EVERY SIX MONTHS 
       Wash windows inside and out. Do this quarterly for windows near work spaces (the kitchen sink or a desk, for instance).
       Declutter storage areas in the basement, attic, and garage.
       Vacuum, flip, and rotate mattresses.
       Polish silver.
       Air out pillows.
 ONCE A YEAR
       Move heavy furniture to clean behind and underneath.
       Vacuum rug pads and the backs of area rugs.
       Clean drapes and carpets.
       Turn area rugs 180 degrees to even out wear.
       Wash walls.
       Clean chandeliers.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2008 08:56 PM »

some things to add:

I dont really put on tv cause of my son in the house.  Now what I do is (if i have to dishes in the morning) and other cleaning I get the talking on the phone out of the way. catch up w friends and family while Im cleaning. I do this by using a bluetooth , wirless headphone.  It should be advertised for housewives! So Im talking while Im cleaning, making roti ect. (i get so bored when I make roti (bread))

Also while I need anything in the house or I see something that is almost out, I write it down on paper till it fills up so then we can go to grocery. the paper is stuck to fridge with magnet. This way also when you go grocery shopping u only get what you need and not extra junk.

salaam
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2008 06:22 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I love listening to CD sets while I'm cooking or cleaning (sets meaning lecture series, like for example Sh. Hamza Yusuf's Purification of the Heart CD set, etc)  It's awesome because it's hard to find the time to sit down and listen to a set which adds up to ten or twenty hours of lecture time unless you have a long commute somewhere... driving so this way you get to do that and at the same time you're taking care of some household chores.  Sometimes if the material is a bit complex or the work I'm doing distracts me, I'll listen to each CD twice -- that makes progress a little slow, but at least I can benefit from the knowledge and am stimulating my mind while doing seemingly 'mindless' chores.  I also like to listen to Al-Ma'thuraat, it's a CD by Awakening Productions of adhkaar for the morning and evening... you can listen to Quran too,  like juz 'amma or a cd of some surahs you've memorized for review...

Sometimes while doing this I would think of the story of a righteous woman of the past that I heard from Sh. Mokhtar, that she would be in constant dhikr while doing her daily work and would keep her tongue busy with remembering Allah even while she was doing mundane tasks like kneading dough and baking bread etc... and when she served a meal to her family she would say 'Eat, for this was made with tasbeeh'!  Smiley  I think if your heart/mind is busy with good things then it translates into what your hands are producing... maybe there's some type of baraka effect Smiley

Another tip I have is not to plan too much or think about the chores you have to do too much, sometimes things become a bigger deal in our minds then they really are (this is a general tip for anything you're procrastinating about), just tell yourself that it will only take a few minutes of your time and will help you and your family be more comfortable/relaxed in a soothing, organized environment... you can also think of imaginary scenarios that will motivate you to clean, like your husband coming home with a bunch of his friends without letting you know, or your in-laws dropping by unannounced Tongue

last but not least you can always make a rewards program,
vacuuming =  bebzi
vacuuming + laundry =  bebzi bebzi
etc Smiley

ps if there are some tasks you really hate maybe you can make an agreement with your husband/whoever you live with to split the chores up or take turns...

just some suggestions Smiley  happy cleaning Wink
salaam,

Faizah
Sis

Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2008 06:43 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

There is nothing that can make one enjoy doing household chores because let's face the reality it's not pleasant and they are never ending tasks that simply must be done.  Sure the tips given can help if you don't mind constantly doing something for short period of time but they are also only truly helpful for those that don't have outside obligations or have other adult help to accomplish it.  For anyone that has outside responsibilities that ensure that the family is provided for you must become skilled in the art of 'super mega multi-tasking" and even then there are not enough hours in the day nor enough human energy to get it all done. 

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2008 08:46 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

There's nothing that could make me like household chores, either. I mean, work, family, "extracurricular" activities, classes, etc. I just couldn't get household chores high enough on my "priority list" to be particularly good at it (or like it). That, coupled with the fact that I've been spoiled all my life by my parents, may Allah bless & reward them.  Grin

So I was visiting someone whom I really respect once and was helping her make some tabbouleh (which is torture to make, but great to eat!). She quickly told me some advice that she does herself (much like se7en mentioned):

She said, keep this on your tongue: SubhanAllah, Alhamdulillah, Allahu Akbar, Laa ilaaha illAllah.

SubhanAllah, Prophet Muhammad (s) didn't tell Fatimah (r) to do it for no reason when she had a similar problem...

True, there'll never be enough time in the day, but that's the only thing that worked for me, at least for peace of mind & heart.  pinkhijabisis

-sofia

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: